California bans gay-to-straight thera...

California bans gay-to-straight therapy for teens

There are 16 comments on the News Herald story from Sep 30, 2012, titled California bans gay-to-straight therapy for teens. In it, News Herald reports that:

California Gov. Jerry Brown has signed legislation that prohibits a form of therapy said to help minors transform from gay to straight, the Los Angeles Times reports officials said earlier today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News Herald.

Mona Lott

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Sep 30, 2012
Let the whining begin.
Jarvis

Fort Worth, TX

#2 Sep 30, 2012
It disgusts me that CA won't allow their queer teens to be treated for the mental illness of homosexuality.
Jumper

Morgantown, KY

#3 Sep 30, 2012
Kids need direction in life.

This intervention is a ploy to impress the homosexual voters by the Dems'
Speedieg

Atlanta, GA

#4 Sep 30, 2012
We need to rename the gay forum on topix to the squirrel forum on account of the nuts it collects. Move on haters there is no place for you here.
Mona Lott

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Sep 30, 2012
Jumper wrote:
Yeah.... I'm sure it has NOTHING to do with the fact that reparative therapy doesn't work. All quacks should be able to sell their special brand of snake-oil cures and then be exempt from malpractice lawsuits.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#6 Sep 30, 2012
Jarvis, being GLBT is NOT a "mental illness". However, being a bigot IS, and I suggest you have mommy get you some therapy for it.

No REPUTABLE therapist uses "conversion" therapy. I'm glad Governor Brown signed the bill, it shows that he has compassion for kids.
Good as it Gets

Alpharetta, GA

#7 Sep 30, 2012
Jarvis wrote:
It disgusts me that CA won't allow their queer teens to be treated for the mental illness of homosexuality.
Thats because homosexuality is not a mental illness
We're the new improved hit version of Homosapien 2.0
Gay in Bethlehem

Howell, MI

#8 Sep 30, 2012
Luckily Straight-to-Gay therapy is still possible and thriving!...
Jumper

Morgantown, KY

#9 Sep 30, 2012
let's bottle it!

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#10 Sep 30, 2012
Jumper wrote:
So someone had to direct you to be heterosexual? I thought that was supposed to just happen naturally - you know, the way homosexuality does...
drg

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Sep 30, 2012
Professionals should be advised that once a patient declares any form of non-heterosexuality, any further counseling could constitute a homophobic hate crime. The professional faces loss of credentials, punitive fines, and criminal charges carrying lengthy prison terms.
Jumper

Morgantown, KY

#12 Sep 30, 2012
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
So someone had to direct you to be heterosexual? I thought that was supposed to just happen naturally - you know, the way homosexuality does...
One would think so.

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#13 Sep 30, 2012
drg wrote:
Professionals should be advised that once a patient declares any form of non-heterosexuality, any further counseling could constitute a homophobic hate crime. The professional faces loss of credentials, punitive fines, and criminal charges carrying lengthy prison terms.
That's like saying that when a new patient shows up for his first consultation and turns out to be African American, the counsellor should immediately cease all further sessions lest the therapy constitute a racist hate crime.

“Where's my fairy wand!”

Since: Apr 08

Reading PA

#14 Oct 1, 2012
Jarvis wrote:
It disgusts me that people like you continue to insist that conversion or reparative therapy is valid when ALL the evidence shows it's not only useless but harmful.

Some people aren't straight - deal with it.
disgusted american

Philadelphia, PA

#15 Oct 1, 2012
Jarvis wrote:
It disgusts me that CA won't allow their hetero teens to be treated for the mental illness of Heterosexuality.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#16 Oct 1, 2012
Good on you, Cali!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jerry Brown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News California Fights To Allow Undocumented Immigra... 21 hr medview 4
News Bills restricting tobacco use move to Californi... Mon Sad but True 2
News Essential Politics: Campaign gets another Calif... Apr 29 Le Jimbo 6
News Man convicted in 1981 Lassen Co. double murder ... Apr 26 Jane Ann Marie 1
News California enacts highest statewide minimum wag... Apr 18 YouDidntBuildThat 246
News California Assembly OKs $15 minimum wage Apr 10 Earle 4
News Greenlight Apr 8 Fiscal Clifford 2
More from around the web