Dockworkers union, grain group set talks

Dockworkers union, grain group set talks

There are 1 comment on the The Columbian story from Oct 8, 2013, titled Dockworkers union, grain group set talks. In it, The Columbian reports that:

Cager Clabaugh, president of ILWU Local 4, stands with union members and supporters holding signs at the Port of Vancouver during a July 3 rally in Vancouver.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Columbian.

Lynn

Vancouver, WA

#1 Oct 9, 2013
I am married to a ship chandler(delivers everything from toiletries to engine parts) here in Portland area, and have to say.....ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!! These idiots are threatening delivery drivers families! They don't want to cross the picket line! The shipmen have to eat, let them get their groceries for crimeny sakes, they have nothing to do with the strike. The shipmen have nothing to do with the dispute between the union men and dock. The men still need to eat, and if it weren't for the ships, they wouldn't even have a job in the first place.

As for the dispute.... I have been on the dock numberous times, helping make some of those deliveries to the ships. Too many times, the Long shoreman are jerks.what the hell?! Most people would die to get the pay and benefits these guys get.

With the way the job market is, and lack of jobs for qualified people.... They should get rid of the union down there, replace the workers who are not working with people willing to work for those wages, and eliminate the issue all together. I am usually for the union and the workers, not these guys. Not anymore! They have crossed the line! It's not just my spouse, it has happened to all the delivery drivers for the company, to the point no one will go down ther because of the threat of violence against them. They were reported, and a promise to take care of it givin. NOT! Now in order for the ships to get food on board after a long voyage, and almost out of food....they have to get a launch to the river side of ship. IT'S STUPID!

So they haven't gotten a raise, or they have to help pay for their insurance, SO WHAT!
I know of at least 6 people that have taken a cut in pay in order to keep working. They need to sign keeping what they have for now or go out in the job market we have now, and try to get a job that pays even close to what they get now. They will be unemployed for a long time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jay Inslee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Letter: Inslee should reject terminals Jun 25 DonSteinke 1
News Inslee reissues ban on non-essential state trav... Apr '17 Denny CranesPlace 9
News Democrats: Solid opposition to Trump, but what ... Apr '17 HOW DID THIS HAPPEN 39
News Democrats: Solid opposition to Trump, but what ... Apr '17 Sassy 3 1
News White House expects Justice crackdown on legali... Feb '17 Ladyliegh 2
News More Feb '17 RushFan666 12
News Reprieve issued for Wash. man convicted of rape... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Xstain Fatwass Ce... 1
More from around the web