Goodlatte Advocates for Corn as Food,...

Goodlatte Advocates for Corn as Food, not Fuel

There are 2 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jul 1, 2013, titled Goodlatte Advocates for Corn as Food, not Fuel. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

He stopped at Staunton Foods to say he wants to get the government out of the business of favoring corn for fuel over corn for food.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

Tex

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Jul 3, 2013
Etnanol is a scam and a waste of money and food
Michael Scholl

Augusta, GA

#2 Jul 3, 2013
Congressman Goodlatte is misinformed if he believes ethanol production is significantly raising the cost of corn. This last year's severe drought significantly raised the cost of corn, not ethanol production. What the congressman is not considering is that, if ethanol were not in the equation and farmers had planted crops other than corn, which would have been the case, there still would have been a drought and there still would have been a shortage. The cost of raw materials in foods that reach your retail outlets accounts for only 15% of the total you pay. The other 85% is packaging, marketing and transportation, which involves oil. For example, a box of corn flakes from your local supermarket has only about 15 cents worth of corn in it - the rest is profit for the store, marketing and transpartation costs.

If you're REALLY concerned about the high cost of food, read the World Bank study that was released in June 2013. They put the blame squarely on the shoulders of the oil companies, saying crude oil prices are more than two-thirds responsible for the high cost of food in the U.S.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bob McDonnell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why is Jeb Bush Courting Pat Robertson? (Oct '15) Nov '17 Bleph 25
News Both candidates claim momentum in Virginia gove... Nov '17 MVGA MAGA 1
News Governors put off health care questions, for now (Jul '12) Jun '17 martin garey 3
News Ex-Virginia First Lady Sentenced to One Year in... (Feb '15) Apr '17 Slick Wiener Oreilly 41
News Ex-Virginia Gov. McDonnell guilty on 11 corrupt... (Sep '14) Apr '17 Repeal Unravelers 49
News Former congressman seeks to delay prison term a... (Jan '17) Jan '17 Battle Tested 3
News Judge won't toss corruption charges against Sum... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Walkin Boss 1
More from around the web