Horse Slaughter May Soon Be Legal in ...

Horse Slaughter May Soon Be Legal in Tennessee

There are 290 comments on the MyEyeWitnessNews.com story from Mar 18, 2012, titled Horse Slaughter May Soon Be Legal in Tennessee. In it, MyEyeWitnessNews.com reports that:

Tennessee lawmakers are trying to pass a bill to make it legal to slaughter horses and sell horse meat. HB3619 passed the House Agriculture Committee and is now headed to the full house and animal advocates are outraged.

Horse meat is popular in foreign countries, like China but animal advocates are against the slaughter of horses and sent a video to Governor Bill Haslam depicting the graphic nature of the act. Their hope is the video will help defeat the bill.

A camera secretly recorded horses being slaughtered in Canada and was posted on YouTube. In the video, a man repeatedly used a stun gun on a horse. It took a total of 11 shocks to knock the horse out, leaving it ready to be killed. The same procedure could come to Tennessee.

"This is horse country and I’m very surprised Tennessee lawmakers are actually promoting what I would call inhumane approached towards caring for animals,” said a Tennessee horse owner Bill Cavagnaro.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MyEyeWitnessNews.com.

First Prev
of 15
Next Last
Jason McCord

Knoxville, TN

#1 Mar 20, 2012
Kinda ironic that this is in the news at the same time as the plea for folks to adopt those abused horses. How many think this is a good idea?

Since: Aug 11

Hickory Corners, MI

#2 Mar 20, 2012
Adoption of a horse is a great idea. Slaughtering them is horrible! Horses are some of the most regal animals on this earth. They can love a human just like a dog can. I have adopted two horses recently myself and they are the sweetest animals. I hate that as humans we think we have the right to literally slaughter another animal. Have you watched any of the videos on youtube on horse slaughtering?? I tried and I cried my eyes out. I can't watch it. It is an absolutely horrible thing to do to such a beautiful animal.
Tasty Meat

Chicago, IL

#3 Mar 20, 2012
Horse meat can be made into a perfectly acceptable meal
LOGIC PLEASE

United States

#5 Mar 20, 2012
What is it any different with killing any animal,for meat?

Most slaughter houses use a "bolt gun".
Kind of like a sledge hammer.
Like it or not,even if you are a vegan,something has to die for you to live.
I love watching,and feeding my neighbor's cows next to me.
But he raises them to die,to become meat.
Horses,like pigs,goats,sheep,cattle,etc.,a re not native to America.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#6 Mar 20, 2012
Tasty Meat wrote:
Horse meat can be made into a perfectly acceptable meal
Ya I know to unregistered female (they claim they are) posters who eat Alpo all the time.

Since: Aug 11

Ooltewah, TN

#7 Mar 21, 2012
LOGIC PLEASE wrote:
What is it any different with killing any animal,for meat?
Most slaughter houses use a "bolt gun".
Kind of like a sledge hammer.
Like it or not,even if you are a vegan,something has to die for you to live.
I love watching,and feeding my neighbor's cows next to me.
But he raises them to die,to become meat.
Horses,like pigs,goats,sheep,cattle,etc.,a re not native to America.
Although I understand what you are saying, it's easier to eat the meat I buy at the store thus "forgetting" where it comes from. I am the first one to say that I love a good steak, but I could not eat a cow that was mine. Dogs and horses are precious animals. I think there are some animals that are made for us to eat and some that are made to be our companions. Just my humble opinion. Plus, having watched the horse slaughter videos...I can't even think about it.

My dog and my horses are the loves of my life. They give me joy and love, unconditionally.

hiss of death

“Bowhunting Is Euphoric”

Since: Jan 09

Double Lung em

#9 Mar 21, 2012
Hunters are COWARDS wrote:
<quoted text>So, you are knowingly complicit in the pain, suffering and violent deaths of the animals you choose to eat (but you prefer to ignore it), but you think it's wrong to inflict the exact same atrocities on the animals that you deem 'worthy' of being spared from these exact same atrocities?
You should know by now dooshy that your preschool emotional drivel and your absurd embellishments don't get any traction around here. Perhaps you should chow down on a Mr. Ed burger and STFU.
<quoted text>That's what is known as being speciesist.
OMG... NO NO, NOT THAT !
<quoted text>Every animal suffers. Every animal you consume was forced to live a life of a man made hell. They fought for their lives till their last fear filled breath.
More Romper Room theater; how novel !
<quoted text>Not trying to be harsh, just stating the truth.
Sure, just as any 4-year-old might see it.
<quoted text>More and more people are learning the countless benefits of a meatless diet. Being vegan is better for human health, gentler to the environment, uses far less resources than animal agriculture, and it is the best way to show genuine compassion, empathy and respect for animals.
YAAAAWWWWNNNN... Did you just fart again ?
Reality Checker

Lenoir City, TN

#10 Mar 21, 2012
Slaughter the beats. they are worth zero anyway.
Ted Nugent

Nashville, TN

#11 Mar 21, 2012
<quoted text>So, you are knowingly complicit in the pain, suffering and violent deaths of the animals you choose to eat (but you prefer to ignore it), but you think it's wrong to inflict the exact same atrocities on the animals that you deem 'worthy' of being spared from these exact same atrocities? That's what is known as being speciesist. Every animal suffers. Every animal you consume was forced to live a life of a man made hell. They fought for their lives till their last fear filled breath. Not trying to be harsh, just stating the truth.
More and more people are learning the countless benefits of a meatless diet. Being vegan is better for human health, gentler to the environment, uses far less resources than animal agriculture, and it is the best way to show genuine compassion, empathy and respect for animals.
I am a Bona Fide member of PETA. That is People Eating Tasty Animals.
oh boy

Morristown, TN

#12 Mar 21, 2012
you people need to realize that horse slaughter has no benefit to anyone living in the usa its only going to cost the tax payers alot of money its only going to create very few low paying very dangerous jobs it only takes 60 people to operate that will probably be done by hiring illegals we dont eat horses it will probably put money in the pockets of idiots like Frank Nicely who is the main one behind all of this They tell you it will benifit by getting rid of old sick and starved horses thats the biggest bunch of bull shit ive ever heard they want take those horses if you tried to give them to them they want the well taken care of nice fat healthy horses ive had horses all of my life the last time they tried this someone tried to steal one of my good riding horses but could not catch her but police caught the guy at the kingsport horse sell with a load of stolen horses wake up this will not have no benifit what so ever for anyone living in america

hiss of death

“Bowhunting Is Euphoric”

Double Lung em

#13 Mar 21, 2012
oh boy wrote:
you people need to realize that horse slaughter has no benefit to anyone living in the usa its only going to cost the tax payers alot of money its only going to create very few low paying very dangerous jobs it only takes 60 people to operate that will probably be done by hiring illegals we dont eat horses it will probably put money in the pockets of idiots like Frank Nicely who is the main one behind all of this They tell you it will benifit by getting rid of old sick and starved horses thats the biggest bunch of bull shit ive ever heard they want take those horses if you tried to give them to them they want the well taken care of nice fat healthy horses ive had horses all of my life the last time they tried this someone tried to steal one of my good riding horses but could not catch her but police caught the guy at the kingsport horse sell with a load of stolen horses wake up this will not have no benifit what so ever for anyone living in america
That may be the longest run-on sentence EVER !

What do you have against punctuation ?
oh boy

Morristown, TN

#14 Mar 21, 2012
The guy that tried to steal my horse was a kill buyer these people get a contract with the meat company to supply them with a certain amount of horses in a certain amount of time if these people cant find enough horse at sells or off of craigslist just for example when push comes to shove the start stealing them to meet their demands with the meat company they are contracted with if you dont believe me about costing the tax payer money just ask the people of hamblen county about koch foods upgrades on sewer that had to be paid by the taxpayers there
oh boy

Morristown, TN

#15 Mar 21, 2012
hiss of death wrote:
<quoted text>That may be the longest run-on sentence EVER !
What do you have against punctuation ?
Did not know i was being graded on a english exam smart ass

hiss of death

“Bowhunting Is Euphoric”

Double Lung em

#16 Mar 21, 2012
oh boy wrote:
<quoted text>Did not know i was being graded on a english exam smart ass
You may be able to follow your gibberish but that doesn't mean anyone else can.
oh boy

Morristown, TN

#19 Mar 21, 2012
Remember Frank Nicely the man that is pushing for this. Also wants cockfighting and Deer Farming legal in TN also.
Ted Nugent

Nashville, TN

#20 Mar 22, 2012
<quoted text>Wow, did ya come up with that all by yourself? No, of course not, because you are incapable of original or intelligent thought.
Also, only a witless douchebag would use the moniker of a POS draft dodging COWARD. You stupid, stupid troll.
I tell you what Jackass, go on to any Native American reservation with you bullshit thoughts on hunting and tell them they were inhuman. I bet you don't walk out fuckstick.
Ted Nugent

Nashville, TN

#22 Mar 22, 2012
I say this if the horses can be saved then save them. They are a very beautiful animal. But if they can't be saved put them to sleep by lethal injection without pain...Damn!
oh boy

Morristown, TN

#23 Mar 22, 2012
I better refine this he does want the deer farming according to the Tennessan.He didnt say he wanted cockfighting legal but he did say he didnt see anyting wrong with it.He said it was good tourism for the State Of Tennessee.
oh boy

Morristown, TN

#24 Mar 22, 2012
Ted Nugent wrote:
I say this if the horses can be saved then save them. They are a very beautiful animal. But if they can't be saved put them to sleep by lethal injection without pain...Damn!
They cant do that it would contaminament the meat. I know the spelling is wrong
oh boy

Morristown, TN

#25 Mar 22, 2012
Ted Nugent wrote:
There is no humane way to kill a horse acording to the usda thats the problem its inhumane.Thats the whole issue

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bill Haslam Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cyrus named to Governor's Council on Service Me... (Aug '12) Tue Resident 16
News Tyson Foods: New facility in Tennessee to creat... Feb 19 Guest 119
News Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam reflects on unpr... Feb 9 Joey 3
News Greeneville Receives Grant For Wastewater Treat... Feb 4 KnowsMyStatsDoYou... 7
News Gov. Haslam proclaims depression, bipolar aware... Dec '17 Clyde Always 4
News Auto supplier Denso: $1 billion investment in T... Nov '17 Retribution 9
News H rmann, LLC To Establish Facility In White County Nov '17 jjfuzzie 6
More from around the web