Tenn. protesters to challenge curfew ...

Tenn. protesters to challenge curfew for 3rd night

There are 2 comments on the WHDH story from Oct 29, 2011, titled Tenn. protesters to challenge curfew for 3rd night. In it, WHDH reports that:

Occupy Nashville protesters said Saturday that they plan to continue challenging a new curfew used to disband their encampment, despite two nights of arrests.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHDH.

Morgan, TX

#1 Oct 29, 2011
The JP'S there are correct about the state not having the authority to post a general curfew by law, unless the Governor declares marshall law, but then it would have to encompace several towns in a general area. The state police do have the right to arrest people for any violation of every day laws such as littering, public intoxication, ect. The problem that our country is having is that our elected leaders have visions of grandeur in their heads. To those officials who act this way I would like to inform you that this country does not have a queen or king. This country is run by the people and not the county, the state, or the federal government for that matter. But! Yes these protesters are becoming a nusiance to the public, and while their protest is based on ligitimate concerns they are making themselves into a problem and not a solution to their concern. But the governor can not set a curfew all by his lonesome in the state of Tennessee. He can send out the state police however and enforce regular laws in that particular area out of concern. But the U.S. Constitution gives the citizen's the right to meet in groups to protest their governments actions even those actions that seem good. I can not condemn the governor for his actions, but it is a sign of the times that our elected leaders do not have enough experience to handle problems regarding protest to their decisions. The biggest problem that I have seen is that they do not know the laws of our land or they are having a problem with their reading comprehension involving the law. It is easy to treat the law like you do every day things, but that will only get you into trouble with the law because most laws are specific and can not be generalized even if you feel that they are giving you the power to do something there are other laws that prevent this from going any further than the specifically set parameters stated in the law.
Working Man

Bell City, MO

#2 Oct 31, 2011

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bill Haslam Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cleveland Receives $10,000,000 For Wastewater C... Tue Maggie 2
News Gov. Haslam joins chorus of concerns over Trump... Tue DeDominicis 1
News Tyson Foods: New facility in Tennessee to creat... Feb 26 Chilli J 117
News Cyrus named to Governor's Council on Service Me... (Aug '12) Feb 20 Resident 16
News Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam reflects on unpr... Feb '18 Joey 3
News Greeneville Receives Grant For Wastewater Treat... Feb '18 KnowsMyStatsDoYou... 7
News Gov. Haslam proclaims depression, bipolar aware... Dec '17 Clyde Always 4