New York governor blasts utilities fo...

New York governor blasts utilities for Sandy outages

There are 3 comments on the Reuters story from Nov 8, 2012, titled New York governor blasts utilities for Sandy outages. In it, Reuters reports that:

Damage from Superstorm Sandy to the electricity system in the Northeast exposed deep flaws in the structure and regulation of power utilities that will require a complete redesign, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reuters.

coldashell

New Smyrna Beach, FL

#1 Nov 8, 2012
WHAT its not bushes fault
Heart Breaker

Casar, NC

#2 Nov 9, 2012
He didn't do much, people still suffering! What a bunch of jerks you have up there!!!
carpetbaggers

Pottstown, PA

#3 Nov 10, 2012
One of the reasons or excuses(take your pick) that power is slow to be restored is that officials are claiming they can't power up certain areas until the homeowner has an electrician to check things out. How the heck is a powerless homeowner supposed to even call an electrician let alone afford one.

That being said electricians are one of things that emergency response officials should be providing just to get electric to the residents breaker or box and perhaps an outlet of two if a severley damaged home. I can't believe this is the first flooded area to have similar problems with electric.

This is for the future but residents should be taught or learn how to shut off the power in their house at the breaker box, they should shut them all off including the main so when power is restore they can turn on the breakers one by one to test the circut. They should also unplug as many items as possible for several reasons including safety and protection from the surge or rush of power when it is restored/turned back on.

I know people in the appliance/repair business and many appliances go after plain old power failure during a storm. The surge from restored power can fry cold or fragile ciruts and/or things like compressors. More appliances like refrigerators and air conditioners are sold after a power failure.

Another thing which I'm sure will be put in code is that electrical wiring and connections will be required to be water proofs or jellied filled. The are connectors and sockets designed for outside use. That should be the standard inside as well in flood areas.

This is all analysis and hindsight but the officials in charge are the ones to think about things like this. This is where they failed. Even if they didn't have the resources they should have had at least electricians on their list of requested items for aid agencies.

Good Luck to all affected

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Andrew Cuomo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Understanding the Adirondack Scenic Railroad co... (Mar '14) 18 hr Boardman 106
News N.Y. legislature fails to reach deal for Child ... Jun 18 politics as usual 1
News Bennington man charged with robbing Colchester ... Jun 15 Comrade Sanders 4
News Thousands expected at vigils around US for Orla... Jun 14 Willy 4
News Jack Gibbons: Ontario's misguided love affair w... Jun 11 BDV 2
News Batavia ready to ask state to place $10 million... Jun 9 dat da truff 1
News Diner owner whose menu lampoons Obama guilty in... Jun 3 Stopthelies 1
More from around the web