Panhandling at Stop Lights Raises Enforcement Questions

A couple of years ago in Albemarle County, people asking for money seemed to gather at stop lights. Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
SpiderCat

Charlottesville, VA

#126 May 30, 2013
Hmmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Since most large US corporations don't pay any taxes either maybe you should start whining about them as well.
Your reasoning, btw, is absurd. "If something is really a good or service, it comes with receipts and taxes"? Are you kidding me?
Ignoring your lame & tired jab at our economic system...
Although I'm giving you grief & a lesson, & you're giving me laughter, this isn't a market transaction either.
Cville

Charlottesville, VA

#129 May 30, 2013
jogger wrote:
most of the panhandlers don't even look homeless..
just out to see what they can get from the unsupecting driving public....beats having to get a summer job....work your own hours, pay no taxes..etc. etc...life is good panhandling in charlottesville.....
hmmmm....exactly what does "homeless" look like? So clueless.
melinda

United States

#135 May 30, 2013
thu cop needs to do there job !!!!! thats part of thu problem now... they want to get people for sest belts an pettie things then get them off thu streets.. if they can stand out an begg for money then they can get A JOB stop giveing to people thats able to work an this would STOP alot of it an THU COPS NEED TO START GIVEN TICKETS FOR IT AND STOP FEELING SORRY FOR PEOPLE LIKE THAT THEY CAN WORK JUST AS WELL AS THU REST OF US..... THERE IS SOME KIND OF WORK OUT THERE..STOP AN TELL ONE OF THEM YOU WILL TAKE THEM AN BUY THEM A MEAL AN SEE WHAT THEY TELL YOU... THANKS AN HAVE A NICE DAY..... STOP FEELING SORRY FOR PEOPLE THAT DONT TRY TO HELP THER SELF......!!!!
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#137 May 30, 2013
You want to get rid of beggars, go on strike, no more handouts, they go somewhere else.
Jimbo

Richmond, VA

#138 May 31, 2013
SO I understand this correctly, is this the only illegal activity that is left up to the officers discretion. What about weed, can I smoke it and take a chance an officer will not ticket me? How about I go around urinating in public IS THIS OK? Is there a manual somewhere that the public can see so we can decide which laws to break with out getting cited. WAKE UP CHARLOTTESVILLE AND DO YOUR %$#@% JOB. I guess this would take away from there nap time at radar sites.
Katnap

Charlottesville, VA

#139 May 31, 2013
If it's illegal to panhandle, is it also illegal for drivers to give them money? If it is, then enforce both laws.
Amy

Charlottesville, VA

#140 May 31, 2013
I wonder if "Dave Smith" is the one that, when offered a legit job for the day for good wages, walked away laughing. He was at the stoplight at Whole Foods.
Volunteer

Charlottesville, VA

#141 Jun 1, 2013
If you want to help, learn what the local resources are and point the panhandler to them.
thehaven.org has a "Street Sheet" download it, print it out and help connect these folks with the help our city has to offer, which includes help with readying for the marketplace.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#142 Jun 1, 2013
Volunteer wrote:
If you want to help, learn what the local resources are and point the panhandler to them.
thehaven.org has a "Street Sheet" download it, print it out and help connect these folks with the help our city has to offer, which includes help with readying for the marketplace.
They know exactly where the resourses are, cardboard and a magic marker.
CvilleGordo

United States

#143 Jun 2, 2013
As I was leaving Whole Foods yesterday a panhandler at the intersection startled me so much that I braked suddenly, causing my recyclable bags to fall off the seat of my Volvo into the floor. My General Tso's vegan chicken was unfortunately mixed violently together with my sesame noodles, my organic avocados were bruised and some of my seafood gumbo spilled onto my new copy of Yoga magazine. This is an outrage!
John The Bum

Charlottesville, VA

#144 Jun 2, 2013
Mountain Biker wrote:
"It is illegal in Albemarle County. It's against the county code to solicit or panhandle in a roadway or a median," said Carter Johnson, spokesperson for the Albemarle County Police Department.
It's ILLEGAL - why is this left to an officer's discretion as to whether or not a citation is issued? If our local police don't enforce the law who will?
We the people will soon have to enforce the law! But seriously as much as they might " MIGHT" need it they really should'nt panhandle...
Helpless

Charlottesville, VA

#145 Feb 23, 2014
I see these bums way too much in Charlottesville, at so many intersections, walking up to my window, I told one "I see you out here all the time, you could have filled out 1,000 job applications by now" not that anyone would want to hire him, but if they can sit at stoplights and smoke cigarettes all day (which are expensive!) than i can give a free lesson in earning what you have and not pestering and bothering people!
panhandler

Bowie, MD

#146 Mar 30, 2014
First of all let me start off by saying i am a siign holder i am a single mother of three whose husband of seven years walked out on us the only bread winner of our home therefore left me unable to afford my rent so therefore my three children and i are living in a hotel room jobs are few and far between and qualifications often exempt you from the ones available i have to provide for my children and i somehow many of these programs like salvation army and sacra only help once a year so what does a person do once they have exhausted all other options they do what they have to do people think its a free ride its not all its cracked up to be on top of being humiliated degraded and imbarrassed you have people look at you as though your not even human all because youve fallen into tough times and might not have a family to depend on so people really need to open their eyes to hope and compassion instead of hatred and judgement you never know that persons story unless you take time ask dont always assume the worst thats whats wrong with people always focused on the negative why not look at it positively like atleast that person is taking initiative to try to better themselves and atleast trying to do something instead of just giving up on life
Alexander Nevermind

Charlottesville, VA

#147 Apr 29, 2014
Truth or False wrote:
Yea some are not homeless but some are. To not cause an accident, then don't you think, not to stop....I have seen the officers in Charlottesville, the person. Further more, panhandler or homeless there not, "it's, them people, those people or these people.
They are human in there own form.......
????????
Was this typed with this person's feet instead of hands???
Jefferson Tea Party

Charlottesville, VA

#148 Jul 31, 2014
If they don't arrest these dirty lawbreakers, then we should be able to use our God given 2nd amendment rights to clear the intersection without fear of arrest!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Governors Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ferguson Police Are Being Relieved Of Their Dut... 17 min Seriously 2,850
This time around Scott Walker less dominant in ... 27 min BENNY 1
Davis addresses strip club incident 46 min Marc 1
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 54 min HOG_ the Hand of God 116,723
King: Gov. Martinez "does not have Latino heart" 1 hr fmer505-1951 24
Indiana Governor Mike Pence Stands Up to Atheis... 2 hr nOgOd 1
Letter: Susana As A Role Model For Women - Really? 2 hr Mike 1
•••

US Governors People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE