Panhandling at Stop Lights Raises Enforcement Questions

A couple of years ago in Albemarle County, people asking for money seemed to gather at stop lights. Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Jim Beam

Charlottesville, VA

#1 May 29, 2013
The panhandling is out of control.
Kate

Charlottesville, VA

#2 May 29, 2013
This almost caused an accident in one of the busiest intersection in Charlottesville. Also one of the panhandlers dog jumped off the curb in front of my car.. This should not be allowed. Do the police have better things to do ? Certainly but It needs to stop.. I hate to burst people's bubbles but many of these people are not homeless, down on their luck.. Many just keep getting money as the article says.
Socialism

Farmville, VA

#3 May 29, 2013
Whether it is illegal or not, it looks terrible to have a bunch of bums begging on street corners. I pass three today within a mile of each other at the traffic lights on Hydraulic. You cannot go anywhere in the city without running into one of them. The City does not enforce the law here because their is a bunch of liberals in the City who builds multi million dollar condos for homeless people and call it a successful venture. Give us our tax dollars back so we can put it to better use.
Truth or False

Locust Grove, VA

#4 May 29, 2013
Yea some are not homeless but some are. To not cause an accident, then don't you think, not to stop....I have seen the officers in Charlottesville, the person. Further more, panhandler or homeless there not, "it's, them people, those people or these people.
They are human in there own form.......
martha01

Martinsville, VA

#5 May 29, 2013
they aren't homeless, just lazy. make them stop
Amazed

Charlottesville, VA

#6 May 29, 2013
At first I was approached for money as Iwalked the mall. Now, if I get stuck at a stoplight I get approached there as well. I have been involved in human services for 35 years and even I can't stand this anymore. The panhandlers often sit in pairs and have their pets with them. During warm weather they're halfed dressed. They look scary. My mom stopped driving because she became so nervous at stoplights with panhandlers. This really has to stop. You can't move in C'ville without someone approaching you and asking for money. When did this become acceptable public behavior?
george jefferson

Charlottesville, VA

#7 May 29, 2013
Truth or False wrote:
Yea some are not homeless but some are. To not cause an accident, then don't you think, not to stop....I have seen the officers in Charlottesville, the person. Further more, panhandler or homeless there not, "it's, them people, those people or these people.
They are human in there own form.......
what in the heck are you trying to say?
Socialism

Farmville, VA

#8 May 29, 2013
Truth or False wrote:
Yea some are not homeless but some are. To not cause an accident, then don't you think, not to stop....I have seen the officers in Charlottesville, the person. Further more, panhandler or homeless there not, "it's, them people, those people or these people.
They are human in there own form.......
Stay off the bath salts...
jogger

Hillsville, VA

#9 May 29, 2013
most of the panhandlers don't even look homeless..
just out to see what they can get from the unsupecting driving public....beats having to get a summer job....work your own hours, pay no taxes..etc. etc...life is good panhandling in charlottesville.....
Dude

Purcellville, VA

#10 May 29, 2013
Hey Ed, how about a bit of investigative journalism. Dave Smith the panhandler claims he has only been in the Charlottesville for one month. Where was he before Charlottesville and why did he choose this city?
I would suggest the city has become a magnet for these types with the current political leadership and all the available "freebies".
I saw this first hand when living in California. The localities which hand out the most have a huge population of freeloaders. Those areas that did not try to give away every type of "freebee" were not heavily populated with the "entitlement" crowd.
To use a quote from the movie Field of Dreams. "If You Give It Away They Will Come"
Keep it up Charlottesvillle as it keeps them out of Loudoun County
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#11 May 29, 2013
how embarrasing
Yawn

Charlottesville, VA

#12 May 29, 2013
Kate wrote:
This almost caused an accident in one of the busiest intersection in Charlottesville. Also one of the panhandlers dog jumped off the curb in front of my car.. This should not be allowed. Do the police have better things to do ? Certainly but It needs to stop.. I hate to burst people's bubbles but many of these people are not homeless, down on their luck.. Many just keep getting money as the article says.
Yeah and yesterday a WASP'y looking lady's Bichon jumped out in front of my car on Park St. What's your point? Should the cops arrest her after they're done arresting the dog owner who so offended you?
83fan

Stuarts Draft, VA

#13 May 29, 2013
One of the reasons I would NOT give this guy anything is because of the what looks like a trashy tatoo on his arm . Enforce the law Officers !!!
Volunteer

Charlottesville, VA

#14 May 29, 2013
If you want to give, do it through the organizations that are offering real help. Not to panhandlers.

Food, access to healthcare, shelter, counseling, rehab, clothing, etc.

The Haven, Region Ten, PACEM, The Salvation Army, Belmont Clothing Closet at 815 Bolling Ave., MACAA, The She Shelter, Charlottesville Free Clinic, Emergency Food Banks, etc.

Since: Oct 12

Buckingham, VA

#15 May 29, 2013
"I know every engine'r on every train/All of their chilin' and all of their names/And every handout in every town/And every lock that ain't locked when no one's around/I sing,'Trailers for sale or rent/Rooms to let, fifty cents/No phone no pool no pets/I ain't got no cigarettes......'"

working man

Charlottesville, VA

#16 May 29, 2013
you would be surprised how many of these people drive vehicles to the hydrolic kroger parking lot and catch the bus to their "offices". Guess that is their morning commute.
working man

Charlottesville, VA

#17 May 29, 2013
jogger wrote:
most of the panhandlers don't even look homeless..
just out to see what they can get from the unsupecting driving public....beats having to get a summer job....work your own hours, pay no taxes..etc. etc...life is good panhandling in charlottesville.....
Obama's new jobs plan.
working man

Charlottesville, VA

#18 May 29, 2013
Volunteer wrote:
If you want to give, do it through the organizations that are offering real help. Not to panhandlers.
Food, access to healthcare, shelter, counseling, rehab, clothing, etc.
The Haven, Region Ten, PACEM, The Salvation Army, Belmont Clothing Closet at 815 Bolling Ave., MACAA, The She Shelter, Charlottesville Free Clinic, Emergency Food Banks, etc.
dont forget social services.
working man

Charlottesville, VA

#19 May 29, 2013
half the police in this town dont even know the law. I dont know where the city gets these goofball wanna bees from, but sometimes you can trust the homeless more than the cville pd.
Mountain Biker

Columbia, VA

#20 May 29, 2013
"It is illegal in Albemarle County. It's against the county code to solicit or panhandle in a roadway or a median," said Carter Johnson, spokesperson for the Albemarle County Police Department.

It's ILLEGAL - why is this left to an officer's discretion as to whether or not a citation is issued? If our local police don't enforce the law who will?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Governors Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 5 min dirtclod 120,511
Obama: 'Revving' economy calls for higher wages 9 min Ching 124
Obama makes rare campaign trail appearance, som... 1 hr Positive Vibes 3
Ferguson Police Are Being Relieved Of Their Dut... 1 hr Abdurratln 3,854
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr KiMare 50,581
State and county numbers released on Ebola cont... 3 hr barbosa 1
NAACP pickets at Roses store, protests GOP poli... (Dec '13) 10 hr Wabash Tsunami 50

US Governors People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE