Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 172029 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

wolverine

Greeley, CO

#48040 Sep 24, 2012
Patrick Henry
March 23, 1775

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?

"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here."

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#48041 Sep 24, 2012
wolverine wrote:
John Adams
Oct. 11, 1798 (Address to the military)
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government ofany other."
When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property.(Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#48042 Sep 24, 2012
wolverine wrote:
Samuel Chase
"By our form of government, the Christian religion is the established religion; and all sects and denominations of Christians are placed upon the same equal footing, and are equally entitled to protection in their religious liberty."
When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment.(Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#48043 Sep 24, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Study your books on metaphysics, a branch of philosophy. You will understand that, there is a difference between, " truth", and " fact"...

Tis a shame we are talking about science and not metaphysics. If we were you might have a point. It is not likely, but you might.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#48044 Sep 24, 2012
wolverine wrote:
Ben Franklin wrote a pamphlet called, "Information to Those who would Remove to America." It was intended to be a guide for Europeans who were thinking of relocating in America. In it he said:
"Hence bad examples to youth are more rare in America, which must be comfortable consideration to parents. To this may be truly added, that serious religion, under its various denominations, is not only tolerated, but respected and practiced.
"Atheism is unknown there; Infidelity rare and secret; so that persons may live to a great age in that country without having their piety shocked by meeting with either an Atheist or an Infidel.
"And the Divine Being seems to have manifested his approbation of the mutual forbearance and kindness with which the different sects treat each other; by the remarkable prosperity with which he has been pleased to favor the whole country."
"Here is my Creed. I believe in one God, the Creator of the Universe. That He governs it by His Providence. That he ought to be worshipped."
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ.(Ephesians 6:5 NLT)
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#48045 Sep 24, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> I am telling you, Mr. Bone head that, the US, are not a race but a nation, comprising people from Europe, Asia, Latin America, Africa and the rest of the world...
Your Dealing With The Braindead....Footsoldiers For Communism.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#48046 Sep 24, 2012
wolverine wrote:
Patrick Henry
March 23, 1775
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here."
The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given." (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#48047 Sep 24, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Quite lengthy...
Listen and listen very good...
Faith, is a matter of choice and convictions...

And science is a matter of evidence and support.

Maybe this is part of the reason you do not understand evolution.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#48048 Sep 24, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>You are mistaken.
The links proving this are available from Google.
Are you disputing that?
The English had colonies in New Zealand, the US, Australia and Canada. As they came, their language(that is English), also came with them, to the colonies.
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#48049 Sep 24, 2012
John Jay
(America's first Supreme Court Chief Justice and Co-Author of the Federalist Papers)

October 12, 1816

"Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers

Location hidden

#48050 Sep 24, 2012
MAAT wrote:
<quoted text>
it's irrelevant.
To you and your lying folks.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#48051 Sep 24, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> Back off!
English is my official as well as my lingua franca. I was born into it. My education, up to university level, were all in English language.
Bone head, stop the insults.

Hey, you read my link. Good for you.

English is clearly not a language you have any degree of mastery over. We would not be having this discussion with you if you consistently made sense.

““You must not lose faith ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#48052 Sep 24, 2012
genes and psychological adaptations;
http://www.anth.ucsb.edu/projects/human/epfaq...
The key is in the interactions.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#48053 Sep 24, 2012
wolverine wrote:
Ben Franklin wrote a pamphlet called, "Information to Those who would Remove to America." It was intended to be a guide for Europeans who were thinking of relocating in America. In it he said:
"Hence bad examples to youth are more rare in America, which must be comfortable consideration to parents. To this may be truly added, that serious religion, under its various denominations, is not only tolerated, but respected and practiced.
"Atheism is unknown there; Infidelity rare and secret; so that persons may live to a great age in that country without having their piety shocked by meeting with either an Atheist or an Infidel.
"And the Divine Being seems to have manifested his approbation of the mutual forbearance and kindness with which the different sects treat each other; by the remarkable prosperity with which he has been pleased to favor the whole country."
"Here is my Creed. I believe in one God, the Creator of the Universe. That He governs it by His Providence. That he ought to be worshipped."

You are quoting a sales brochure?
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#48054 Sep 24, 2012
Thomas Jefferson to A. L. C. Destutt de Tracy, 1820.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government has grown out of too much government."
Senator John Sharp Williams, Thomas Jefferson: His Permamnent Influence on American Institutions, p.49 (1913). Lecture delivered at Columbia University, New York City, 1912.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."

"And I sincerely believe, with you, that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies; and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale."
Letter to John Taylor, May 28, 1816

"The only foundation for useful education in a republic is to be laid in religion."
"God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are of the Gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that His justice cannot sleep forever."

"To the corruptions of Christianity I am, indeed, opposed; but not to the genuine precepts of Jesus himself. I am a Christian in the only sense in which he wished any one to be; sincerely attached to his doctrines in preference to all others..."

Location hidden

#48055 Sep 24, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Wherever do you get this stuff?
Are you disputing that?
First, the Indians, the English, other Europeans, Africans and finally, the rest of the world. The US, is a multi racial nation.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#48056 Sep 24, 2012
Charles Idemi wrote:
<quoted text> I am telling you, Mr. Bone head that, the US, are not a race but a nation, comprising people from Europe, Asia, Latin America, Africa and the rest of the world...

You did not understand what was said to you, apparently.

"And what can you conclude about that, especially if your religion has a few uncomplimentary things to say about certain races? "

Your response does not address what was actually said.
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#48057 Sep 24, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, you read my link. Good for you.
English is clearly not a language you have any degree of mastery over. We would not be having this discussion with you if you consistently made sense.
Did Someone Tell You That You Were The Authority Over Language And Its Use ?
They Lied To You, You Are No More Or Less Then An Average Blogger, Nothing Stands Out To Consider You Otherwise....Stick A Sock In Yer Blowhole Mate.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#48058 Sep 24, 2012
wolverine wrote:
Patrick Henry
March 23, 1775

A famous "quotation" by Patrick Henry:

The first apparent forgery that we ran across was a famous sentence allegedly written by Patrick Henry:

"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ!"

An impressive statement. It certainly gives credence to the belief that the founders of America were all or predominately devout Christians. It is a popular quotation. A search for the phrase "this great nation was founded not by religionists" on www.google.com returned almost 1,000 hits! One common feature of most of the quotations is that they do not cite the source. We suspect that most webmasters have simply quoted the writings of other webmasters.

It turns out that Patrick Henry probably never said this. At least, nobody has been able to locate it in any of his surviving papers. It is almost certainly a forgery. 2,3,4,5

http://www.religioustolerance.org/badquotes.h...

Location hidden

#48059 Sep 24, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
This has been solidly refuted. You never check references on anything you spout. You just have your ignorance, an internet connection and are off to the races.
You do not understand this, do you?
The Aborigines of Australia, the Indians of America, in the US, Canada and the Maoris of New zealand, were all influenced and dominated by the English warlords...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Governors Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Palin Slams Coverage of 'Non-Traditional' Trump... 1 hr Mitts Gold Plated... 45
News Bobby Jindal: Arrest Mayors of Sanctuary Cities... 4 hr wild child 4
News Same-sex marriage fight turns to clerk who refu... 4 hr Rights vs myths 1,877
News How the $15 minimum wage could become a new div... 4 hr Fart news 708
News Texas' attorney general charged with securities... 6 hr Dlr 4
News Poll: Trump leads Walker, Bush 7 hr sandy1 5
News Obama's EPA Rules Could Elevate Climate Change ... 8 hr Black Annie 2
More from around the web