Evolution vs. Creation

Evolution vs. Creation

There are 201218 comments on the Best of New Orleans story from Jan 6, 2011, titled Evolution vs. Creation. In it, Best of New Orleans reports that:

High school senior Zack Kopplin is leading the fight to repeal the Louisiana Science Education Act of 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Best of New Orleans.

Anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#31187 Jun 19, 2012
OK. Would you buy into an "Alien Seed" theory? Or would that simply steal the thunder from both camps in this debate?

It still seems to me that nobody here is presenting or conceding anything. They just re-recite what they always do. I'm just looking for facts about how it all began. I'm not trying to market my experience in either an evolving world or God's puppet theater.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#31188 Jun 19, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
OK. Would you buy into an "Alien Seed" theory? Or would that simply steal the thunder from both camps in this debate?
It still seems to me that nobody here is presenting or conceding anything. They just re-recite what they always do. I'm just looking for facts about how it all began. I'm not trying to market my experience in either an evolving world or God's puppet theater.
Several problems. First, the "alien seed" in no way challenges evolution, that would be abiogenesis. But that leads to the other big problem, how did the "aliens" or "extraterrestrial life" come to exist in the first place. You encounter an infinite regression.
Anonymous

Chagrin Falls, OH

#31189 Jun 19, 2012
Purely rhetorical. Intelligent Design need not be "Divine", right?

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#31190 Jun 19, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
It also need not be right , right?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#31191 Jun 19, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
No, and humanity has been in control of it's own evolution for centuries, we just had no name for it. We are being intelligently selected by our own hands now.

However, you enter infinite regression when you state "alien" life had to spark or even effect life on this planet. Because then what created that "alien" life? What created that which created that "alien" life?... and so on.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#31192 Jun 19, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
I don't know how it all began. Abiogenesis is way out of my area of expertise on so many levels, the best I can do is read what they write.

You mean the panspermia hypothesis? Well...bacteria and viruses and certain fungi spores, I think, survive in space. It's possible they float around out there and get activated when falling to a planet.

Or do you mean, aliens might have dropped off the necessary beginnings of life on this planet? Sure, but then you're into questions about why they did it, where did they come from, what's our evidence for this assertion. Are they coming back? Is this a farm planet for them?

And none of those questions generate new knowledge or interesting research - unless we found a spaceship or a fragment of one. Then suddenly those would be interesting questions that would generate research.

That's sort of the problem ID people have, too. First, it's impossible to directly test. Second, it doesn't lead to new research (for ex: "ok, we've identified that this gene could only have come from a designer - what does that tell us about the designer?" etc).

But if we had some evidence of designers then presumably those would be very relevant questions - Does the designer like beetles? There's over 300000 species of them on the planet! I think the designer must also like ants. In some forests, they make up the majority of biomass!

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#31193 Jun 19, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh. Well, that's easy - they were selected out during the ice age.
I don't even talk to him. He's got way too many screws loose.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#31194 Jun 19, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know how it all began. Abiogenesis is way out of my area of expertise on so many levels, the best I can do is read what they write.
You mean the panspermia hypothesis? Well...bacteria and viruses and certain fungi spores, I think, survive in space. It's possible they float around out there and get activated when falling to a planet.
Or do you mean, aliens might have dropped off the necessary beginnings of life on this planet? Sure, but then you're into questions about why they did it, where did they come from, what's our evidence for this assertion. Are they coming back? Is this a farm planet for them?
And none of those questions generate new knowledge or interesting research - unless we found a spaceship or a fragment of one. Then suddenly those would be interesting questions that would generate research.
That's sort of the problem ID people have, too. First, it's impossible to directly test. Second, it doesn't lead to new research (for ex: "ok, we've identified that this gene could only have come from a designer - what does that tell us about the designer?" etc).
But if we had some evidence of designers then presumably those would be very relevant questions - Does the designer like beetles? There's over 300000 species of them on the planet! I think the designer must also like ants. In some forests, they make up the majority of biomass!
http://journalofcosmology.com/Life101.html

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#31195 Jun 19, 2012
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't happen overnight...and we still have problems to this day...
"God" did not confuse languages sometime after the "Flood"

There was never a "Flood" and there was never a "Tower of Babel" incident. They are just Hebrew myths

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#31196 Jun 19, 2012
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey...it's the evolutionist that hold to vampires, werewolves and zombies.
Evolution would be nowhere without the existence of these...
Hey, it's religion who has the patent on Zombies. The gospels mention Zombies rising from the grave when Jesus gave up the ghost...:-)

Since: Sep 07

Los Angeles, CA

#31199 Jun 19, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
What I'd your IQ. I'll try and dumb it down for you.
Usually, when someone wants to know how intelligent the other person is, they would ask "what is your IQ?"

Now, maybe you could have had a typo and put "what si your IQ?", but instead you put "what I'd your IQ?"

So, no even knowing you, I'm gonna got with at least 50 points higher than yours.

Or, put in a language you can understand stand: "50 plants hotter thus lords".

Los Angeles, CA

#31201 Jun 19, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
What's that got to do with anything?
I do not hate science I merely am pointing out that just like man science is far from perfect. I love science. It pays the bills. But it's very young and has a lot of growing to do. Don't hang your soul on it because like all the theory's i've pointed out science sometimes jumps the gun and then back tracks.
.... and also, your "soul" is a complete fiction.

Los Angeles, CA

#31204 Jun 19, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
Flu is flu no matter what strain same kind.
So "flu" is a "kind"?
How many of flu did Noah bring on the ark?

Los Angeles, CA

#31205 Jun 19, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
I only incorporate facts into my education.
You don't have an education.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#31206 Jun 19, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
I only incorporate facts into my education. Not like you ( junk science )
Facts like souls?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#31207 Jun 20, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
Look you guys claim that all life came from the very first spec of life. That means things ( by your Definition ) had to jump from one kind too an all new kind. There is $250,000 dollars for proof of evolution out there and no one has claim it for over 10 years so either you are all very wealthy or you can't prove it.
Evolution is a joke!
Not even a good one.
Never happened never will!
So, you do believe that organisms change, but since you have not been alive for a couple of million years to see it change into something else, it just could not have happened.

In other words, you believe that the flu bug evolves, but since you have not witnessed it evolve into a rabbit, evolution is rubbish.

I get it, you have to eyewitness an event to make it true. A story of a man/god turning water into wine is believable, even though you were not there to witness it. Yet, you can witness the flu bug evolving from one strain to the next and still claim that it did not evolve.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#31208 Jun 20, 2012
Doctor Who Two wrote:
<quoted text>
Look you guys claim that all life came from the very first spec of life. That means things ( by your Definition ) had to jump from one kind too an all new kind. There is $250,000 dollars for proof of evolution out there and no one has claim it for over 10 years so either you are all very wealthy or you can't prove it.
Evolution is a joke!
Not even a good one.
Never happened never will!
When you find a watch on the ground, how do you know it was made?
LZ ONE

Lubbock, TX

#31209 Jun 20, 2012
The next big thing should come from someone here on this forum. New ideas are what we are looking for. Some of the posters seem to just be here for the beer, because they never bring anything to light that we have never thought of before. Be original. The world may be watching this science thread.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#31210 Jun 20, 2012
LZ ONE wrote:
The next big thing should come from someone here on this forum. New ideas are what we are looking for. Some of the posters seem to just be here for the beer, because they never bring anything to light that we have never thought of before. Be original. The world may be watching this science thread.
We still don't care Mikey.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#31211 Jun 20, 2012
LZ ONE wrote:
There is plenty new in the science fields! Man has scanned the universe, still no sign of god. Man has scanned the Earth, no sign of a bottomless pit. Any idea how a bottomless works on a sphere and yet no one can find it?

Some people on here agree that organisms change, but deny evolution, that is very hard not to dwell on that for a while. They argue that their unseen god is real, even without any proof, yet deny that which is right in front of their noses.

Most of the 'christians' on here can only deny the science and the portions of the bible they don't like. They do not discuss, they just deny. If you hit them with a logic problem, they ignore it. That cannot be said of the Atheists, on here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Governors Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hillary Clinton picks Tim Kaine as vice preside... 16 min WasteWater 212
News Could NATO be the next alliance to unravel? 27 min Synque 68
News Democratic chief Wasserman Schultz quits amid S... 38 min Go Blue Forever 42
News 2 years after Ferguson, recriminations roil gov... 54 min BabyDoll 14
News Rendell says Wasserman Schultz shouldn't take t... 54 min spud 6
News Ohio's Kasich urges working together at NAACP c... 1 hr spud 158
News RNC Day 3: Cruz booed, Pence nominated 2 hr swampmudd 248
More from around the web