Legislature Says No to "Gay Panic" De...

Legislature Says No to "Gay Panic" Defense

There are 102 comments on the KRON 4 story from Aug 27, 2014, titled Legislature Says No to "Gay Panic" Defense. In it, KRON 4 reports that:

Defendants could not escape murder charges by claiming they panicked when they discovered someone was gay or transgender under a bill headed to Gov. Jerry Brown.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KRON 4.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Mitts Gold Plated Taliban

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Aug 27, 2014
I guess they'll have to claim a "Hobby Lobby defense" now.

Their "religious" belief is that hom=osexuals should be kil=led.
IoanInPueblo

United States

#2 Aug 28, 2014
Mitts Gold Plated Taliban wrote:
I guess they'll have to claim a "Hobby Lobby defense" now.
Their "religious" belief is that hom=osexuals should be kil=led.
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if that happened.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#3 Aug 28, 2014
It's about personal responsibility for you own actions. If you can't control yourself and feel that lashing out violently is a reasonable way to react to *anything*, especially something that doesn't effect you (like finding out that someone is gay), you're not fit to be out in public with other people, let alone having personal interactions with them.

The whole concept of "gay panic" is ridiculous, anyway. Aw, did the big mean gay guy frighten you?? Were you scared when you found out that he might like you? Aw, that must have been so scary for poor you. I'm sure you had no option but to murder him. He might have wanted to be your friend or something really horrible like that. Poor you.

Ridiculous.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#4 Aug 28, 2014
eJohn wrote:
It's about personal responsibility for you own actions. If you can't control yourself and feel that lashing out violently is a reasonable way to react to *anything*, especially something that doesn't effect you (like finding out that someone is gay), you're not fit to be out in public with other people, let alone having personal interactions with them.
The whole concept of "gay panic" is ridiculous, anyway. Aw, did the big mean gay guy frighten you?? Were you scared when you found out that he might like you? Aw, that must have been so scary for poor you. I'm sure you had no option but to murder him. He might have wanted to be your friend or something really horrible like that. Poor you.
Ridiculous.
It makes just about as much sense as a woman being able to claim that an unwanted (but non-violent) advance from a man she isn't interested in is enough provocation to kill him outright.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#5 Aug 28, 2014
Well, if they want to use a "gay panic" defense, are they not also admitting at the same time that it was a hate crime?

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#6 Aug 28, 2014
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
It makes just about as much sense as a woman being able to claim that an unwanted (but non-violent) advance from a man she isn't interested in is enough provocation to kill him outright.
If women would start doing more of that, the world would become much more sane very fast. Either men would learn to control themselves, or they'd no longer exist.
Rinaldo

San Jose, CA

#7 Aug 28, 2014
All I know is any fagg@t that comes on to me is going down. Big time!

Littleton, NH

#8 Aug 28, 2014
Note to Rinaldo: This is not the proper forum to share your sexual fantasies.
Xstain Mullah Franchisee

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Aug 28, 2014
Rinaldo wrote:
Better stay away from male, Republican, political operatives and from male choristers at right wing houses of worship them.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#11 Aug 28, 2014
Good law. About time.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#12 Aug 28, 2014
Rinaldo wrote:
DUDE!

Take your meds.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#13 Aug 28, 2014
Rinaldo wrote:
Wow. You must not be very discriminating if all it takes is for someone to come on to you before you let them go down on you.

You might want to reconsider that. I hope you're practicing safer sex practices when you're out catting around like that.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#14 Aug 28, 2014
eJohn says:
The whole concept of "gay panic" is ridiculous, anyway.
RalphB says:
Well, if they want to use a "gay panic" defense, are they not also admitting at the same time that it was a hate crime?

Scenario:
A man meets a woman. Likes her. Dates her. Spends money on her. Relationship is becoming serious. Time to move to the next step. Sex. Takes his lady to bed and discovers a penis. Becomes enraged, he was lied to, taken advantage of, made the fool. He strikes out at this person in his bed, she dies. Has this man no rights?

“Equality First”

Location hidden

#15 Aug 28, 2014
Wondering wrote:
eJohn says:
RalphB says:
Scenario:
A man meets a woman. Likes her. Dates her. Spends money on her. Relationship is becoming serious. Time to move to the next step. Sex. Takes his lady to bed and discovers a penis. Becomes enraged, he was lied to, taken advantage of, made the fool. He strikes out at this person in his bed, she dies. Has this man no rights?
Really? You think that deserves a death sentence? If so, you're more warped that I thought.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#16 Aug 28, 2014
Wondering wrote:
eJohn says:
RalphB says:
Scenario:
Nope. Are you seriously arguing that, under the circumstances you just described, that murdering that person would be justifiable???
Xstain Mullah Franchisee

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Aug 28, 2014
Wondering wrote:
eJohn says:
Scenario:
We're all so very sorry that happened to you...but much sorrier for the sex worker you hired and murdered. I'm sure the part before you killed her was murder for her, too.

Of course in reality gay panic [sic] always happens when some guy is come on to, or thinks he has been, on the street, or when trade/a closet case goes home knowing it's a guy and then turns violent due to the trade's own sexual conflicts.
Xstain Mullah Franchisee

Philadelphia, PA

#18 Aug 28, 2014
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? You think that deserves a death sentence? If so, you're more warped that I thought.
Isn't Wondering most likely the same non human person as Foxy? Or just some other troll?

“Equality First”

Location hidden

#19 Aug 28, 2014
Xstain Mullah Franchisee wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't Wondering most likely the same non human person as Foxy? Or just some other troll?
I don't believe the two are one and the same. I could be wrong about that, but I don't think so

Littleton, NH

#20 Aug 28, 2014
Xstain Mullah Franchisee wrote:
<quoted text>
Not unless Foxy's got a really split personality. Foxy loves trannies.

Littleton, NH

#21 Aug 28, 2014
Wondering wrote:
eJohn says:
RalphB says:
Scenario:
He has the right to feel duped. It's okay if he yells and screams as he leaps out of her apartment. She should probably have that discussion prior to hopping into bed, especially if they've had several dates. But killing her? Seriously? You are one seriously warped dude. I already knew that. I just didn't know you were also dangerous.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Governors Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plenty at stake in jury selection for Menendez ... 16 min Red Crosse 1
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 10 hr Regolith Based Li... 222,225
News Gov: Removing Confederate statues like losing 9... 10 hr GED Grad 4
News Reactions to Trump's statement on violence in V... 17 hr EMMETT TILL 321
News Thousands of people march during rally at Bosto... (Nov '16) 18 hr Defeat Ralph Nort... 2,431
News Times editor didn't mean to blame Sarah Palin's... Sat fingers mcgurke 23
News NY subway tiles with Confederate flag look to b... Sat america sks 1
More from around the web