Winter storm causes wrecks, gridlock in the South

Jan 28, 2014 Full story: Bellingham Herald 39

Highways surrounding the city that rarely sees snow were converted into treacherous paths of ice Tuesday, causing hundreds of cars to slide off the road, slam into each other, or crawl bumper to bumper in gridlock.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Shoot for the stars”

Since: Dec 10

Planet Earth

#1 Jan 29, 2014
People had 18 hours to prepare and stay off the roads.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#2 Jan 29, 2014
I'm sure they'll need some emergency taxpayer money again.

“Shoot for the stars”

Since: Dec 10

Planet Earth

#3 Jan 29, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
I'm sure they'll need some emergency taxpayer money again.
You know they will. The country has known about this snow storm almost 2 days prior. People, in the Southern states hit by the snow storm, could have stayed home and businesses close much earlier than they did, but greed seems to override safety in society. The victims of stupidity are the children.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#4 Jan 29, 2014
Earth Child 1 wrote:
<quoted text>You know they will. The country has known about this snow storm almost 2 days prior. People, in the Southern states hit by the snow storm, could have stayed home and businesses close much earlier than they did, but greed seems to override safety in society. The victims of stupidity are the children.
And so many of those morons insisted on driving anyways, then got stuck, and now demand taxpayers bring them hot chocolate & a blanket.

Idiots.

“Vote Republican”

Since: Aug 08

Wyandanch, NY

#5 Jan 29, 2014
I hope you guys remember these 'candidates' when it is time to get your support at the next election. They have demonstrated an inability to lead and accept responsibility. Two very important characteristics, in my opinion.

“Yeah, but...”

Since: Sep 11

MILKY WAY

#6 Jan 29, 2014
Whew.

Good thing this weekend's Super Bowl is being held in a place where people know how to survive ithrough winter weather.
El oh El

Auburn, MA

#7 Jan 29, 2014
1 - get some sand
2 - spread on road way
3 - drive slower
Done!
ATL by birth VA by choice

Yorktown, VA

#8 Jan 29, 2014
What exactly does Ga Dept of Transportation do anyway? We, here in VA knew about the snow in advance and our Dept of Transportation prepared for it. Our roads were generally in very good condition and we got as much or more snow than Atlanta did. Why didnt GDOT prepare the roads? Shows such a lack of leadership.
Bridge2Benghazi

Jacksonville, FL

#9 Jan 29, 2014
ATL by birth VA by choice wrote:
What exactly does Ga Dept of Transportation do anyway? We, here in VA knew about the snow in advance and our Dept of Transportation prepared for it. Our roads were generally in very good condition and we got as much or more snow than Atlanta did. Why didnt GDOT prepare the roads? Shows such a lack of leadership.
Gov. Deal of Georgia, like many GOP T-bagging politicians don't believe in Sciences related to weather forecast (anything suggesting signs of Global Warming). For Governor not having major roads prepped with salt & sand before urging the people to head home ahead of the storm is reckless behavior.

_I'm waiting for Fox News to go after GOP Governor Deal for failing to do his job, putting the public in jeopardy and even causing loss of lives....

_ Where is my tax-dollar going, Gov. Deal?
ATL by birth VA by choice

Yorktown, VA

#10 Jan 29, 2014
Bridge2Benghazi wrote:
<quoted text>
Gov. Deal of Georgia, like many GOP T-bagging politicians don't believe in Sciences related to weather forecast (anything suggesting signs of Global Warming). For Governor not having major roads prepped with salt & sand before urging the people to head home ahead of the storm is reckless behavior.
_I'm waiting for Fox News to go after GOP Governor Deal for failing to do his job, putting the public in jeopardy and even causing loss of lives....

I totally agree that the public was put in jeopardy. Those roads should have been prepped, etc. Not being local anymore I can't really comment about who didnt do their jobs. BUT, someone needs to be held accountable for that lack of leadership. As you say, where are your tax dollars going? Atlanta deserves much better!
Weatherman

Whittier, CA

#11 Jan 29, 2014
Stupid hillbillies. Look at yer selves.

Another southern comedy sketch.

America shakes her head in disbelief.
Bridge2Benghazi

Jacksonville, FL

#12 Jan 30, 2014
<quoted text>
I totally agree that the public was put in jeopardy. Those roads should have been prepped, etc. Not being local anymore I can't really comment about who didnt do their jobs. BUT, someone needs to be held accountable for that lack of leadership. As you say, where are your tax dollars going? Atlanta deserves much better!
Well, the "Liberal Media" is blaming the wrong person again. Atlanta area is made up of about 80 cities and all of them have been affected by the storm. For some reason, instead of going after the Governor, the "Liberal Media" is blaming the Mayor of a single city, the Mayor of Atlanta. Are they ignorant or just is it just routine mischief?
Richofkennesaw

Duluth, GA

#13 Jan 30, 2014
You can't blame the people who went to work, many companies expect you to show up or face disciplinary action.
Many schools also waited for snow and ice to form before they closed, it all comes down too the bottom line, revenue.
Guess we know what's more important!
Bridge2Benghazi

Jacksonville, FL

#14 Jan 30, 2014
Richofkennesaw wrote:
You can't blame the people who went to work, many companies expect you to show up or face disciplinary action.
Many schools also waited for snow and ice to form before they closed, it all comes down too the bottom line, revenue.
Guess we know what's more important!
So, the GOP, the Party of "Life," does not really care about human life; it's all about money?

_Apparently, Republicans of GA and mostly of the South reject Global Warming as a factor behind extreme changes in our weather pattern so they can avoid making necessary adjustment. Not prepping the road with salt or sand ahead of the storm is probably a sign of their reluctance to accept weather forecasting as scientific report.

_ There were warnings; So, Governor Deal and all those 60+ Mayors involved must explain to the people why efforts were not made to prep major highways in the Metro Atlanta area ahead of the storm....
hey yall

Newport, AR

#15 Jan 30, 2014
TruthoftheMatter

Lawrenceville, GA

#17 Jan 30, 2014
The southern states are not equipped with snow removal equipment and solution - and they never will be. Taxpayers would be livid if they had to pay for these items that will never be used to the maximum as they are in northern and Midwestern states. That being said, the critical spots were pretreated, we simply don't have the amounts needed to do what you see in your area. We also are a region with high rates of individual commuters that are addicted to their vehicles. By the time the first snowflake fell, practically everyone at work in and around the perimeter left in their autos causing massive traffic. Add thousands of tractor traitors that travel into our city and it becomes a train wreck. GDOT sent out a p.s.a. asking people to stay off the roads so they could treat and retreat but it was too late.

Even if Republican Governor Deal and Democrat Mayor Reed had gone to the media with a plan of attack, the entitled dumb masses in this city would NOT have listened. It's not the leadership as much as it is the inept and entitled citizens in this area that have migrated in and taken over.

Everyone pointing their fingers at Gov Deal and Mayor Reed are screaming about a forecast that changed so many times in the past several days folks had whiplash. And these same people are the ones that are always ridiculing the weather folks because they never seem to get it right. Scoffing at Atlanta weather people is a favorite pastime here.
TruthoftheMatter

Lawrenceville, GA

#18 Jan 30, 2014
<quoted text>
Please do not listen to a commenter that spews hate and vitriol at one political party. People like that deserve no attention, and quite frankly are the reason Atlanta looks like an area full of backwards malcontents. Bridge2Bengazi would be the first to throw his middle finger up at Gov Deal or Mayor Reed and ignore anything that they advise the public to do.

The critical spots were pretreated, but our area does not have the amounts to pretreat every top priority surface like areas of the county that have true winter weather. 2011 was the last major winter weather event. Before that people are up in arms about 1983 when there were millions less people and a much smaller region.

Atlanta metro is now where the transplants make up the majority of the region and natives are harder to find. People demand services like they received when they lived in the north, but often forget they moved here to escape the high cost of living associated with those services. Our region does need a plan of attack when this happens again. We as citizens should demand that, but in a civilized and calm manner. Attacking our leadership so that the rest of the nation to see is not the way to go about that. As you can see, Bridge2Bengazi is part of the problem, so his ranting scan never bring about a solution.
Bridge2Benghazi

Jacksonville, FL

#19 Jan 30, 2014
[QUOTE who=""]<quoted text>
Please do not listen to a commenter that spews hate and vitriol at one political party. People like that deserve no attention, and quite frankly are the reason Atlanta looks like an area full of backwards malcontents. Bridge2Bengazi would be the first to throw his middle finger up at Gov Deal or Mayor Reed and ignore anything that they advise the public to do.

Even if Republican Governor Deal and Democrat Mayor Reed had gone to the media with a plan of attack, the entitled dumb masses in this city would NOT have listened. It's not the leadership as much as it is the inept and entitled citizens in this area that have migrated in and taken over.

_As you can see, Bridge2Bengazi is part of the problem, so his ranting scan never bring about a solution.[/QUOTE]
_You wrote this: "the entitled dumb masses in this city would NOT have listened."

_Apparently, you resent the people of Atlanta as a whole; is it because of their social economic classes or their races? I hope you are not a spokesperson for Gov. Deal because you seem to resent Atlantans so much...

_The truth of the matter is: Your Governor did not have a plan. The Mayor of Atlanta has very little to do with the mess because he's responsible for just one of the 60+ cities of the Metro area affected by the storm. You sound a bit ignorant, here, trying to spread the blame equally on a single Mayor vs the Governor og the whole State!

I wished there were folks like you attacking Fox News crooks like Sean Hannity who spent months blaming Obama for the Gulf Oil spill and the Mayor of New Orleans for damages caused by Katrina.

_ The truth of the matter is, TruthoftheMatter is exhibiting classical symptoms of GOP hypocrisy. Politicians should never put money/politics ahead of the well-being of their citizenry (who put them in office to serve).

_

_Truth of the Matter: Governor Deal gave us a very bad deal this week.
Bridge2Benghazi

Jacksonville, FL

#20 Jan 30, 2014
TruthoftheMatter wrote:
<quoted text>
The southern states are not equipped with snow removal equipment and solution - and they never will be. Taxpayers would be livid if they had to pay for these items that will never be used to the maximum as they are in northern and Midwestern states.

......truncated......
_You wrote this: "the entitled dumb masses in this city would NOT have listened."

_Apparently, you resent the people of Atlanta as a whole; is it because of their social economic classes or their races? I hope you are not a spokesperson for Gov. Deal because you seem to resent Atlantans so much...

_The truth of the matter is: Your Governor did not have a plan. The Mayor of Atlanta has very little to do with the mess because he's responsible for just one of the 60+ cities of the Metro area affected by the storm. You sound a bit ignorant, here, trying to spread the blame equally on a single Mayor vs the Governor og the whole State!

I wished there were folks like you attacking Fox News crooks like Sean Hannity who spent months blaming Obama for the Gulf Oil spill and the Mayor of New Orleans for damages caused by Katrina.

_ The truth of the matter is, TruthoftheMatter is exhibiting classical symptoms of GOP hypocrisy. Politicians should never put money/politics ahead of the well-being of their citizenry (who put them in office to serve).

_

_Truth of the Matter: Governor Deal gave us a very bad deal this week.
Rational Responder

Louisville, KY

#21 Jan 30, 2014
Bridge2Benghazi wrote:
<quoted text>
"T-bagging!?" There are no such things as Teabaggers, OP. There are members
of the Tea Party. You need to have your brains kicked in really hard until you are respectful
and accurate and call members by their proper names. Is that simple enough for you!?
Do it!

Global warming/climate change is not proven. I'd call it a hoax. Stop spreading your
agenda. Got it!?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Governors Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 43 min Tuco Blondie 116,439
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr KiMare 49,754
US stocks start lower 1 hr Go Blue Forever 17
Ferguson Police Are Being Relieved Of Their Dut... 5 hr Ronald 2,619
Astrophysicist Invents a $110 Earthquake Warnin... 8 hr her 1
King: Gov. Martinez "does not have Latino heart" 8 hr justice is just a... 10
Mitch McConnell faces biggest test yet in race ... 8 hr kuda 13
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••