Get ready for guns in bars

Get ready for guns in bars

There are 278 comments on the www.roanoke.com story from Jun 21, 2009, titled Get ready for guns in bars. In it, www.roanoke.com reports that:

It's far too early to take a reasonable guess at who will prevail in November's likely gubernatorial slugfest between state Sen.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.roanoke.com.

Former LE

Centerville, TX

#226 Jan 4, 2010
Tory II , I am a supporter of the second amendment. I also recognize that the police should have laws that allow them to prohibit people who are drinking from caring weapons. If I was going to enjoy a night drinking in a bar, I would not carry my firearm because my judgment , fine motor control and reaction time are all going to be impaired. The current law in my state does not allow me to do so. If the law allowed me to do so I would choose not to carry while impaired in this manner. It’s stupid ! Drunks should not have control or custody of any object potentially dangerous to themselves or others.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#227 Jan 4, 2010
Former LE wrote:
Tory II , I am a supporter of the second amendment. I also recognize that the police should have laws that allow them to prohibit people who are drinking from caring weapons. If I was going to enjoy a night drinking in a bar, I would not carry my firearm because my judgment , fine motor control and reaction time are all going to be impaired. The current law in my state does not allow me to do so. If the law allowed me to do so I would choose not to carry while impaired in this manner. It’s stupid ! Drunks should not have control or custody of any object potentially dangerous to themselves or others.
You say you support the 2nd amendment and then you want a law that restricts it. You speak from both sides of your mouth. Gun control laws lead to more gun control laws (until the right to keep and bear arms no longer exists.) You can't have it both ways.

A drunk is deadly with or without a gun. A large male can kill you with his hands and arms (drunk or sober). What happens when a person gets hold of a beer bottle ? Is the bottle not a weapon ? A responsible, law-abiding person will obey the law while drunk. The people who commit crime while drunk are bad people anyway (sober). The drunkeness exposes them (sooner).

If you were right (correct) drunks would be committing crime all the time, everyday. Stop blaming guns again, blame the person.

Many people carry a gun while under the influence, and never commit crime. That's a fact. And many behaviors are crimes with or without a gun. The law that prohibits murder by gun is rediculous because the murder conviction will put you away anyway. Is a shooter more guilty of murder than a beater ?

Not sorry. I don't see all the gun crime by drunks. You guys come up with all kinds of excuses to regulate our rights.
Law Time

Polkville, NC

#228 Jan 10, 2010
Hopefully drinkers and trash will shoot each other, less fools to deal with!!!!
Former LE

Greensburg, KY

#229 Jan 10, 2010
Tory II,
How about this,If you are impaired,(having reached a point wherein you should not drive a motor vehicle) should you be in control of a firearm in public? You have a right to walk on the shoulder of the highway but if you are impaired, you may bve arrested . The purpose of the arrest is to protect you and someone driving from hitting you because you are to im paired to walk. You have good sense. I doubt you would elect to be impaired and handle a firearm but many people do not have good sense when it comes to alcohol.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#231 Jan 10, 2010
Former LE wrote:
Tory II,
How about this,If you are impaired,(having reached a point wherein you should not drive a motor vehicle) should you be in control of a firearm in public? You have a right to walk on the shoulder of the highway but if you are impaired, you may bve arrested . The purpose of the arrest is to protect you and someone driving from hitting you because you are to im paired to walk. You have good sense. I doubt you would elect to be impaired and handle a firearm but many people do not have good sense when it comes to alcohol.
Police should return the gun after your drunkenness is over...

Alcohol is not appropriate at all places (I agree). When booze is banned in some places it doesn't destroy all freedom.

There are many folks who can handle their booze (armed or not).

The focus of law enforecement should not be a person's gun. It should be on the gun owner's behavior.
Wild Card

Lenoir City, TN

#232 Jan 14, 2010
I always dig what you gun nutz have to say. You are so deranged and displaced from reality it really is very funny. My favorite posts involve every single veteran who served in a war or was part of some super elite combat group. My experience (11B) in this area leads me to believe about 15-20% of the BS posted by scoffs on the internet who no doubt lack anything productive or of any significant meaning to do.

BOOM-BOOM!
Wild Card is a moron

Houston, TX

#233 Jan 14, 2010
Wild Card wrote:
I always dig what you gun nutz have to say. You are so deranged and displaced from reality it really is very funny. My favorite posts involve every single veteran who served in a war or was part of some super elite combat group. My experience (11B) in this area leads me to believe about 15-20% of the BS posted by scoffs on the internet who no doubt lack anything productive or of any significant meaning to do.
BOOM-BOOM!
Your experience? Your experience is limited to stroking yourself to Penthouse Forum and thinking "That could be me in the pivot position".

Go away, troll!!
Rampage

Chicago, IL

#234 Jan 14, 2010
We need common sense restrictions on the first amendment. The framers never imagined that the village idiot would be able to sit in their home or office cubical, and pen a screed that could be viewed by the whole world. When the constitution was written the quill pen and manual printing press was state of the art in communications, just as on the second amendment side smooth bore muskets and black powder pistols were state of the art. Anti-gun fanatics like to point out that there was no semi-automatic weapons or machineguns, and use this fact to argue that we should ban any innovation post 1787 . well, there was no cellular telephones or high speed internet connections in 1787 either, so you can add these to the list of the things that “were never envisioned”. Like guns, the request to carry on communications on such a grand scale should be reviewed and cleared by the chief law enforcement officer of the writers home town. The reviewing officer can investigate the background and moral character of the writer, and make an arbitrary decision if this communication is necessary. It’s only fair and equal, but of course no law would prohibit you from exercising your first amendment rights in your own home by non-electronic means.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#235 Jan 16, 2010
A person's right to their life doesn't stop after they drive into a parking lot owned by Antigun Joe's Nuts & Screws Factory. Employees have a right to protect their life regardless of where they are. THEREFORE, property rights don't always trump self defense rights, or gun rights.

A man's business is not his castle. When you invite the public in to your store to buy merchandise, your store becomes the public's domain (temporarily). Yes, they buy or shop according to your rules, but some of their natural rights are not 'temporarily' restricted while in the store. If they did, if your right to life did end, I guarantee, people, there would be a law, a very powerful law, allowing us to carry weapons wherever we go.

How about a law prohibiting employee unions, or illegal migrant workers, or allowing discrimination, on or in employee parking lots ?
What would the antigun crowd say about those commercial property rights ?
Former LE

Elizabethtown, KY

#236 Jan 16, 2010
A business owner has the right to refuse service to anyone provided he dosen't make the decision based on the persons race, creed or national origion. The business is his and decisions made regarding who he allows on the premisis are his also. He can not charge you with trespass in a public place but after he documents haveing warned you that you are barred from his establishment, you can be charged.
rebel yell

Nashville, TN

#237 Jan 16, 2010
yahoo,a shootout at 10 paces like in the good old days.
Republican 2012

Earlysville, VA

#238 Jan 16, 2010
Obama 09 wrote:
There is no reason for anybody to have a gun in a bar or anywhere else. America's gun culture makes law enforcement far more dangerous and hundreds of innocent people are killed and maimed every day by gun nuts. Firearms are the main reason health care costs are so high. President Obama must implement a gun ban as part of his national health care plan to help keep costs down.
Obama 09 says it all,Guns used by law abiding citizens saves many lives every day!YOU are the type that thinks calling 911 will produce police instantly I personally call those type of people victims!!

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#239 Oct 7, 2012
Antigun cop:
Former LE wrote:
A business owner has the right to refuse service to anyone provided he dosen't make the decision based on the persons race, creed or national origion. The business is his and decisions made regarding who he allows on the premisis are his also. He can not charge you with trespass in a public place but after he documents haveing warned you that you are barred from his establishment, you can be charged.
Amanda

Charlottesville, VA

#240 Oct 9, 2012
Obama band the penis, the baseball bat, the car, truck, moped, bicycle, he food, the money, ex etc. All of the above plus more raise healthcare, causes innocent people to get hurt, is dangerous for our help, habit forming and unruley.

Obama 09-think before speaking, or writing. You're not very good at either.
Obama 09 wrote:
There is no reason for anybody to have a gun in a bar or anywhere else. America's gun culture makes law enforcement far more dangerous and hundreds of innocent people are killed and maimed every day by gun nuts. Firearms are the main reason health care costs are so high. President Obama must implement a gun ban as part of his national health care plan to help keep costs down.
ha ha

North Garden, VA

#241 Oct 10, 2012
ActiveForPeace wrote:
good .. free drinks and bullets for all NRA members!
brave, real men don't need guns
real men just let crooks kill them to show what a big di ck they have,right retarded dumba$$
Cmon Man

Norfolk, VA

#242 Oct 10, 2012
OutVoice wrote:
Guns have NO place in bars. This is carrying a Constitutional right way too far and risking lives. Any organization that supports this is also supporting murder! Hunting, collecting etc no problems. But this is dumb. So sorry my candidate did not win the primary, now a matter of the lesser of two evils.
You're all morons...there are already guns in bars. People who do so with a permit will not be your problem. Waste of time discussion. You depend on your government to protect you. The smart ones will protect themselves. I wish you all the best with you delusion. I respect your decision to not defend yourself, please respect my decision as well.

BTW, I do agree that if you feel you need a gun to be in ANY PLACE, the smart move would be not to go there. The difference is I don't feel I have a right to force you not to. Think about it.
Cmon Man

Norfolk, VA

#243 Oct 10, 2012
Tory II wrote:
Antigun cop:
<quoted text>
You said a mouthful Tory. The worst kind. They carry guns, but don't think you should have the same right. We should trust them, but they don't trust us. Hmmmm.

"Trust us. We're from your government, we're here to help."

Any right given up or impinged will never be regained. Bank on it.
Cmon Man

Norfolk, VA

#244 Oct 10, 2012
Tory II wrote:
A person's right to their life doesn't stop after they drive into a parking lot owned by Antigun Joe's Nuts & Screws Factory. Employees have a right to protect their life regardless of where they are. THEREFORE, property rights don't always trump self defense rights, or gun rights.
A man's business is not his castle. When you invite the public in to your store to buy merchandise, your store becomes the public's domain (temporarily). Yes, they buy or shop according to your rules, but some of their natural rights are not 'temporarily' restricted while in the store. If they did, if your right to life did end, I guarantee, people, there would be a law, a very powerful law, allowing us to carry weapons wherever we go.
How about a law prohibiting employee unions, or illegal migrant workers, or allowing discrimination, on or in employee parking lots ?
What would the antigun crowd say about those commercial property rights ?
Couldn't agree more. Why is the second amendment the only one everyone thinks only applies in special situations? Can you imagine the same restrictions being placed on a journalist's freedom of speech?...or someone arguing that in their place of business they could openly discriminate against another race? Oh Lord, the liberals would rise up then. Why, I wonder, do they not also defend this right. Sure makes you think doesn't it.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#245 Oct 10, 2012
The second amendment has nothing to do with carrying guns into bars, this is nuts along with any supporters of this insane idea. What a bunch of freaking neanderthals supporting an idea like this.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#246 Oct 11, 2012
thinking free wrote:
The second amendment has nothing to do with carrying guns into bars, this is nuts along with any supporters of this insane idea. What a bunch of freaking neanderthals supporting an idea like this.
Our natural rights apply in which locations ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Governors Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lack of Latinos in Trump Cabinet draws ire for ... 38 min Jigger 25
News House prohibits $15-an-hour minimum wage 2 hr I used to be someone 579
News Rick Perry said something weird about being on ... 3 hr Parden Pard 4
News Pence sworn in as U.S. vice president 4 hr Le Jimbo 5
News Lack of Latinos in Trump Cabinet draws ire for ... 14 hr Selling Damaged G... 1
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 17 hr Regolith Based Li... 218,797
News Columbus activists prepare for Justice Day at t... 20 hr Holy Guacamole 8
More from around the web