The body of Simone Grice was found at the bottom of a flyover crossing the A30

Jul 17, 2009 Full story: Western morning News

Bridge plunge girl 'bullied for being pretty' Friday, July 17, 2009, 09:59 THE mother of a 15-year-old who fell to her death from a bridge has described how she was tortured by school bullies "because she was pretty" and that a split with her boyfriend might have been the "final straw". Simone Grice plunged from the bridge over the A30, just around ...

Full Story

“Evolve”

Since: Dec 07

GJ, CO

#1 Jul 17, 2009
This is what could have happened to me, and what damn near did happen to my precious daughter.

WHY?????
Heygrrrl

Plano, TX

#2 Jul 19, 2009
I'm sorry that you had to manage a bully as a child. I'm trying to make a small effort to educate adults to take action to stop bullying:
http://heygrrrl.wordpress.com/

“Evolve”

Since: Dec 07

GJ, CO

#3 Jul 19, 2009
Heygrrrl wrote:
I'm sorry that you had to manage a bully as a child. I'm trying to make a small effort to educate adults to take action to stop bullying:
It's an honor to have you here on Topix! Great site, which I have gone to many times.

I'd like to know your story- is it on the site?

My daughter, whom I had to sleep with for a month, longer than that, actually- because she was suicidal-has reached the age of 20, has not only survived but triumphed.

How often do you hear about girls being bullied for their attractive looks? I had the awesome experience of being bullied when we lived in OK because I was an awkward, Yankee, agnostic/intellectual ugly duckling, to moving to CO. over the summer I turned 15 and became a "swan" almost overnight...when I was bullied horrifically the moment I walked on campus of my new school for being pretty.

My daughter's experience was that she has been drooled over on account of her looks since infancy, and with every school year it got worse.

The betrayals, cruelty, etc during our younger years nearly killed us, and most definitely compromised our educational opportunities. However, having survived, there are advantages.

What our miserable school years did for us in a positive sense is to make both of us disinterested in appearances- including even our own. However, we are both "off" socially. I, the mom, am more fortunate than my very people-oriented daughter because I made a conscious decision never to allow myself to be emotionally needy ever again when I was about 16. I just couldn't teach what I call "emotional independence" to my far more gentle, loving child.
I am a happy hermit; my daughter, now that she is in the company of wonderful adults at her architectural design job where she is valued for her work ethic and expertise, is just beginning to bloom.

What do anthropologists say about female bullying? Any good books you know about?
Heygrrrl

Plano, TX

#4 Jul 19, 2009
What an incredible journey! It's sad humans have to waste time on the bullying nonsense, instead of developing their potential. As I post stories to heygrrrl.com I marvel at how governments require parents to send their children to these institutions where they then do nothing to ensure their physical and mental safety, thereby making the entire experience of "education" a failure.

My experience with bullying in recent times is with my son's situation. It was a case of jealousy, just as you describe with your situation and your daughter's. In my own case, I had to learn how to thwart older brothers and sisters who were always willing to beat/taunt/tease me.

From the stories I've posted, I think jealousy is often what draws the bully, and it seems to be against the kids who are the smart, nerd/geek types that most schools could really cultivate to boost those coveted standardized scores they're always seeking after. At any rate, there are a lot of books now for kids. Some of them I think are on the mark -- others not. Too many of them expect the kids to solve the problem, which I don't agree with. I want my kid to go to school for an education, especially if it's a private school I'm paying for. Anyway, our story is on the site. Stop by any time, and feel free to add your comments too. Take care!

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#5 Jul 29, 2009
Heygrrrl wrote:
is it abusing some thing ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Redruth, England Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Redruth Safe (Jul '13) Jul '13 Tom 1
Food bank struggles to meet demand (Feb '13) Feb '13 Yeshi Gemaneh 1
Main image for 'Drivers in rural areas need fue... (Nov '11) Nov '11 ayesha91 3
Four teenagers arrested after "serious" assault... (May '11) May '11 Joe publick 1
Northern house prices 'rose most' (Jan '10) Jan '10 tripe and black p... 1
Looking for old school friend (Mar '09) Mar '09 sheila McAdam 1
Hospital closes after burst water main damage (Sep '08) Sep '08 Smarty 1
More from around the web

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:45 am PST