Meeting to discuss dog beach ban

Apr 24, 2010 Full story: BBC

Dog walkers face a possible ban from one of Cornwall's most popular beaches. Perranzabuloe Parish Council, which is responsible for Perranporth beach, said it had received a number of complaints about dogs.

Full Story
V Edgeworth

Bristol, UK

#1 May 21, 2010
My family hoilday at Perranporth twice a year for two weeks at a time. I estimate that we inject about 4-5,000 into the local encomony each year. Broken down into accomodation and food, sightseeing, use of the kennels at Reen on days when we visit dog free attractions, and money spent on private day care for my elderly mother when we occassionally take a day out on our own.
Multiply this modest sum by the thousands of dog owners who visit Perranporth each year and I beleive they are commiting financial suicide.
Besides they haven't banned horses, who do proportionally more, children who are frequenlty out of control, or ignorant irresponsible surfers who cost rescue services thousands of pounds when they ignore warnings etc,so why pick on dogs?"
I would like to add some further comments, I appreciate that dogs can be a problem, and have my own reservations about them being on beaches in high season, but that is more because they can suffer as a result of heat exhaustion when carelss owners do not provide them with shade and fresh water. Some owners do not clear up, or control thier animals, but should the repsonsible majority be punished for this. Might I make a suggestion in that "day tickets" could be sold locally for say a 1 a day allowing a dog owner to take thier dog on the beach, and this money could be used directly to employ a dog warden on the beach that could both fine irresponsible owners and make sure dogs were catered for? Health wise seabirds probably pose a higher risk with e.coli and suchlike so do you propose a cull on them and ensure the beach is free of birds too?
For my family Perranporth is particulalry suitable to our needs as my husband is dependent on a mobility scooter and can not access the beach at all, but becasue the car park and other facilities are so close by he can sit on the sea wall, and we can be just feet away on the beach and we feel like a family. We would certainly nolonger visit Perranporth if it became a dogfree beach, something which for us would be a tradgedy.
Rory

UK

#2 May 22, 2010
Hi,
The Facebook group ("Against Possible Perranporth Dog Ban") has over 1,700 members and the Petition site ( www.dogsloveperranporth.com ) has 500+ signatures so far.
The break down of who is signing shows wide spread support from not only dog owners and residents of Perranporth.

I'm against irrisponsible dog owners, but we don't ban cars because some people don't use them responsibly or safely.

Rory

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Perranporth, England Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Surfer airlifted to hospital (May '09) May '09 Steve Barrett 3

Perranporth, England People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE