Hotel owners 'set up' by gay couple who sued

Dec 13, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Berwick Today

A gay couple suing the Christian owners of a seaside hotel in Cornwall may have booked a double room as a "set-up", a court has heard.

Comments
1 - 20 of 21 Comments Last updated Jan 26, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Apr 08

Oakville, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2010

Judged:

Those poor Christians. Always being plotted against! Always the victims!

It must be terribly difficult to Always Be Right (TM) when dealing with nonbelievers.
Dexter

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2010

Judged:

"We accept that the Bible is the holy living word of God and we endeavour to follow that." The couple's faith meant they did not believe in sex before marriage and would not allow it under their roof.

A business is not domestic property. If it is advertised to the public or accepts money from the public it is subject to the laws of the land, including antidiscrimination laws. Even if the business is under the same roof as their personal property the rule applies to any area advertised as being accessible by guests.

Case dismissed.

It's laughable that they give all the straight couples the benefit of the doubt and just assume that they are married. Not even an attempt to look for a wedding band. Double standard.

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2010

Judged:

What's more, these two guys are as 'married' as it is possible to be under UK law -- they underwent a civil ceremony and registered their union with the government. So the hotel couple is not against 'sex before marriage,' they are against any sex that is not hetero, whether married or not, and obviously have no objection to lying about it. Typical.

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Tappahannock, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2010

Judged:

If all we had to do to "set up" talibangelical scum is ask for a room with a double bed then we would have sued all the fundie cretins on the planet out of business by now.

Hint: Hey freeeks, you're among the only public lodging owners who actually come right out and refuse to let to a same sex couple.(You claim to be equally opposed to letting to unmarried, str8 couples, yet oddly enough you have not come right out and refused a couple like that. I mean, in accordance with your stated "beliefs." snicker)
Rose

North Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2010

Judged:

"Explaining her and her husband's faith, Mrs Bull told the court: "We accept that the Bible is the holy living word of God and we endeavour to follow that." The couple's faith meant they did not believe in sex before marriage and would not allow it under their roof, Mrs Bull said."

Wonder if they operate on Saturdays. The buy bull says you should kill people who work on Saturdays.
Curteese

Cathedral City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Judged:

Oh, what a crock. If someone picked up a hooker he'd only known for like 20 minutes, and brought her into this sanctuary, these goof balls would not even bat an eye and hand over a room key in two seconds. Hypocrites. Piss on their stinky hole of a hotel. I hope the legal bills drown them for being such hypocrites. Let God support them afterward. Good luck on that one.
Sir Andrew

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Judged:

I've often wondered, with people like this, whether they check their guests to see if they've violated any other of the Bible's no-nos. And I'm not talking about the multiple things in Leviticus.

How about the Ten Commandments? Are they refusing to rent to anyone who has lied? Or committed adultery? What about a guest who shoplifted as a teenager? Or who screamed at a Michael Jackson concert (other gods, idolatry, etc)?

No, they seem to feel they are only obligated by that "good" book to punish gays.

Hypocrite, thy name is Christian! Or, at least thy cult is Christian.

“I am SO not a main stream gay ”

Since: Nov 09

Portland OR.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Ok so yeah Ummmm why did these two pick this place to rent a room. I wonder if it was a set up, I was under the impression that if you own something the its yours which mean you can run it anyway that you want. I could be wrong abo that I dont live in the UK.
Curteese

Cathedral City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Judged:

Urban_Tribe wrote:
Ok so yeah Ummmm why did these two pick this place to rent a room. I wonder if it was a set up, I was under the impression that if you own something the its yours which mean you can run it anyway that you want. I could be wrong abo that I dont live in the UK.
let's see them hang a sign that says "No Muslims" or "No Jews" or "No Christians" and see how far they get.
Mona Lott

Jackson, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Judged:

" Mrs Bull explained that she took Mr Pride's booking over the telephone when she was ill and because of her illness she did not explain the hotel's policy. "

OOopps, there it is.
Richie Haven

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Judged:

Urban_Tribe wrote:
You don't live in the UK, but what planet DO you live on? You were under the "impression" that if you own something you can run it anyway you want?! You mean, if you own a business or a restaurant or rent out an apartment, you are free to discriminate against blacks, jews or anyone else you don't like. Where have you been for the last half-century?
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Another problem the baggeldy-a$sed b!tch would have is proving the married couple were going to make love in the hotel room
Does she have a peep hole?
Curteese

Cathedral City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Mona Lott wrote:
" Mrs Bull explained that she took Mr Pride's booking over the telephone when she was ill and because of her illness she did not explain the hotel's policy. "
OOopps, there it is.
What if two male hetero pals showed up? Or two straight gals? If she is not ill does she lay out a list of house rules? What CENTURY is she living in, anyway?

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

How can you be "set up" if you don't act in an unethical or illegal manner?
Sir Andrew

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2010

Whoever is cruising this site marking as spam those responses he doesn't like clearly doesn't understand what spam is. Other than the lifeblood sandwich meat of my mid-Pacific state (I'm not in Texas; only my server is).
Dexter

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2010

Urban_Tribe wrote:
To "own something" is not the same as "run a business". If the accept money from the public or advertise to the public they then they are obliged to accept "the public". If you run a B&B it comes with the territory.

Portland OR.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2010

Richie Haven wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't live in the UK, but what planet DO you live on? You were under the "impression" that if you own something you can run it anyway you want?! You mean, if you own a business or a restaurant or rent out an apartment, you are free to discriminate against blacks, jews or anyone else you don't like. Where have you been for the last half-century?
Well Sparky, the planet I live on is called earth and it is in the milky way if that helps you out. That crap happens everyday where have YOU been living? YES killer,they do have the right to refuse service to ANYONE.... so when you ask the question where have I been for the last half century I myself have been right here in the US of A? what utopia I will ask this question again WHY DID THEY PICK THAT PLACE? If we are going to force people to things against their will then we are no better then the Christens that hate us and want us to go back in the closet.. SO get off you high horse punkin and get sit next to Pat Robertson cuz you are no better then him.

Portland OR.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2010

Judged:

Dexter wrote:
<quoted text>
To "own something" is not the same as "run a business". If the accept money from the public or advertise to the public they then they are obliged to accept "the public". If you run a B&B it comes with the territory.
Here in the USA as the owner or any employee of a business can refuse service to anyone.. Walk in any gay bar in the UAS and there will be a sign that say we reserve the right to refuse service to ANYONE.. Why should that be any different for gay people? If a chrsiten came to a gay bar and handed of flyers about GOD and being gay is a sin you can bet you bippy they would be refused service and ask to leave..... My point is why did they pick this place? I have been to Cornwall and there are a crap ton of B&B's other then to get kicked out why did they book this place?
Dexter

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2010

Judged:

Urban_Tribe wrote:
<quoted text>
Here in the USA as the owner or any employee of a business can refuse service to anyone.. Walk in any gay bar in the UAS and there will be a sign that say we reserve the right to refuse service to ANYONE.. Why should that be any different for gay people? If a chrsiten came to a gay bar and handed of flyers about GOD and being gay is a sin you can bet you bippy they would be refused service and ask to leave..... My point is why did they pick this place? I have been to Cornwall and there are a crap ton of B&B's other then to get kicked out why did they book this place?
I think you'll find they didn't actually refuse them service. They offered them separate rooms. That's not refusing service. That's stipuating that others abide by your prejudice. And because two rooms would most certainly be more expensive than one it was presumably a financial disadvantage.

I understand what you are saying about right to refuse service. I agree that the scenario you described would almost certainly result in the person being rejected from the pub. But I guess it would depend on if they were just handing out flyers or if they were targeting people withhate speech.

I guess there is also another subtle difference in that because pubs are social environments the publican has a resonsibiliy to maintain a particular social atmosphere. The christian fundamentalist IS engaging behaviour which affects everyone in a negative way. The B&B owners are acting on an assumption they have made about what behaviour will occur behind the privacy of bedroom doors. Behaviour that is unlikely to affect anyone else.

In Australia we understand that the playing field is not level for all groups. Groups which are still likely to experience unreasonable prejudice. We have a concept of "positive discrimination" which allow small groups with particular interests to exclude anyone who would damage those interests in order for them to have a space to feel comfortable in. For example universities have "women only" rooms for feminist students as a concession that men often dominate most social environments. As the inequality that the women's space seeks to solve is addressed at large the need for the positive discrimination diminishes and the spaces close of their own accord.

“Alley Cat Blues”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2011

Urban_Tribe wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Sparky, the planet I live on is called earth and it is in the milky way if that helps you out. That crap happens everyday where have YOU been living? YES killer,they do have the right to refuse service to ANYONE.... so when you ask the question where have I been for the last half century I myself have been right here in the US of A? what utopia I will ask this question again WHY DID THEY PICK THAT PLACE? If we are going to force people to things against their will then we are no better then the Christens that hate us and want us to go back in the closet.. SO get off you high horse punkin and get sit next to Pat Robertson cuz you are no better then him.
Why they chose the hotel is not the issue here. They could have chosen it because it was close to relatives they were visiting, or a nearby site that they wanted to visit. It doesn't matter. What does matter is that they made the reservation on the phone, put a deposit on their credit card, received a confirmation that they had the room, and then were turned away simply because of their sexual orientation. This is discrimation, and there are laws against that that apply to those running a business.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Penzance, England Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Madron turns out in force for annual Trafalgar ... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Yeshi Gemaneh 1
Blinded mother describes her loss (Apr '12) May '13 Yeshi Gemaneh 11
Cooking up a proper feast of Cornish festivals ... (May '13) May '13 Yeshi Gemaneh 1
3. Children 'graduate' from extra-curricular ac... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Yeshi Gemaneh 1
Families evacuated as river rises (Dec '12) Dec '12 Aminu 1
Free NHS balance and stability courses starting... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Core Fitness Cons... 1
Opera Columbus turns to touring shows | The Col... (Jul '11) Jul '11 Opera Fan 3
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Penzance, England People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••