Reports: Virtual affair in Second Life universe yields real-lif...

Full story: Hartford Courant

Reports say 28-year-old Amy Taylor and 40-year-old David Pollard of Newquay in southwest England split after she spotted her husband's online alter-ego cuddling with a virtual home wrecker.
Comments
1 - 20 of 25 Comments Last updated Nov 16, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
rweingartner

Holyoke, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2008

These people are nuts.
Walther

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2008

What the heck? What a loser. Calm down. It's nothing.

“A half-truth is a whole lie”

Since: Jun 08

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2008

Second Life? Neither one had one to begin with to go and get a second one.
nameless

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2008

Judged:

Now let's hope they have virtual babies and spare the real world from their pathetic offspring.
Are You Kidding Me

West Lafayette, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2008

Words cannot describe what I think. This has GOT to be the dumbest thing I've ever read about.
VA Conservative

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2008

Infidelity is still infidelity, whether or not it's a physical relationship or an affair of the heart - to put it kindly.

HHC

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2008

AMLT wrote:
PMSL. I have a second life account, but, it sorta creeps me out a bit to go there, have not been there in over a year.

This story is not unlike any other story about internet affairs that end marriages. They just did it in virtual reality is all.
Mazikeen

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2008

Are You Kidding Me wrote:
Words cannot describe what I think. This has GOT to be the dumbest thing I've ever read about.
agreed!
vexialla

Chesapeake, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2008

I agree this is 100% infidelity. This kind of game second life or perfect world is sinful and damaging to family and relationship. Imagine you can get married on this game and do whatever you can like in real world. People who plays this game have some psychological issues or some kind of reality issues. People needs to wake up and stop playing this trash. Also government need to look on games that are damaging and banned them.
People need to get a real life.

HHC

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2008

vexialla wrote:
I agree this is 100% infidelity. This kind of game second life or perfect world is sinful and damaging to family and relationship. Imagine you can get married on this game and do whatever you can like in real world. People who plays this game have some psychological issues or some kind of reality issues. People needs to wake up and stop playing this trash. Also government need to look on games that are damaging and banned them.
People need to get a real life.
Sorry but it is not the government's job to monitor anybodies morality. People have choices to make in life. People can still be infidels without the use of the internet, it is just another tool. You cannot put a ban on life and life's choices. Sigh.

“...a river of conscience ...”

Since: Oct 07

Scotland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2008

HHC ... not having much experience in this kind of thing, I would humbly suggest that it's most important for people to remain rooted to real life.

Problems such as this will become more prevalent as technology develops. All it takes is a skin suit with feedback sensors to take one from a virtual reality to close to reality.

The rules of the game in the virtual world have to be the same you would use in the real world. People must decide on their own code of conduct though. This is why we're put on this world, to develop as people. To make choices, and suffer the rewards and consequences. Life ain't easy, real or otherwise.

For me, it really is unacceptable to damage your own family. The question everyone should ask is do they have sufficient control of the situation?
HaHaHa

Granby, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2008

AMLT wrote:
wacky stuff...and now the guy is trolling for more? Yikes! Strange and stranger.
TJL

Williamsburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2008

VA Conservative wrote:
Infidelity is still infidelity, whether or not it's a physical relationship or an affair of the heart - to put it kindly.
Hmmmm? Many psychologists say it's normal, common and healthy to fantasize. How is this different?
HaHaHa

Granby, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2008

TJL wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmm? Many psychologists say it's normal, common and healthy to fantasize. How is this different?
maybe but these people don't seem like the norm...something is definitely missing 'upstairs'.

Scotland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2008

Judged:

HaHaHa wrote:
<quoted text>
maybe but these people don't seem like the norm...something is definitely missing 'upstairs'.
.... yeah, like the whole floor!

HHC

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2008

TJL wrote:
<quoted text>
I do agree that it is healthy to fantasize, but, with those fantasies if you act upon them physically, you have consequences for those actions. Even if it is in a virtual world.
I have to say I see nothing wrong with Second Life. I just found it a bit creepy because it made me dizzy. pmsl. I cannot play video games too, well, the newest ones. They give me some kind of vertigo.
If two adults want to play out their fantasies this way. Go for it. I am all about exploring anything with a partner.
Virtual worlds are no different than cybering online. I feel if a person is seeking out someone to have fantasies online with, then , something is missing from their "real" relationship and perhaps they should seek counseling for that relationship, not for having fantasies. There are couples that participate in virtual worlds and cyber activity together. It is just another tool of exploration of the human condition.
Catherine

Arlington, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2008

This is ridiculous. Why is it that only the stories about crazy kidnappers or stupid people who decide they want one avatar over another make the news? What about the fact that this year alone Second Life has raised a great deal of REAL LIFE money for charities such as the American Cancer Society, the ASPCA, and Locks of Love? What about the fact that people are creating digital art that would take your breath away? What about the fact that people who cannot walk in real life have finally found a place where they can experience walking, running and dancing? Is that not newsworthy? No, of course not. But put a couple of nutjobs up there who are filing for divorce and oh sure, it's front page news.

Scotland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2008

Catherine ... perhaps for a lot of us sites like Second Life are new, we don't know much about them.

“Ignore the trolls”

Since: Oct 08

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2008

HHC wrote:
<quoted text>
I do agree that it is healthy to fantasize, but, with those fantasies if you act upon them physically, you have consequences for those actions. Even if it is in a virtual world.
I have to say I see nothing wrong with Second Life. I just found it a bit creepy because it made me dizzy. pmsl. I cannot play video games too, well, the newest ones. They give me some kind of vertigo.
If two adults want to play out their fantasies this way. Go for it. I am all about exploring anything with a partner.
Virtual worlds are no different than cybering online. I feel if a person is seeking out someone to have fantasies online with, then , something is missing from their "real" relationship and perhaps they should seek counseling for that relationship, not for having fantasies. There are couples that participate in virtual worlds and cyber activity together. It is just another tool of exploration of the human condition.
If you read the whole story, it is well weird. Apparently, they met on a chat room, the woman in the story spends about 14 hours per day on the computer and has difficulty differentiating between that and the real world! She has now met someone else through Second Life, I think her original partner is off to get together with his cyber pal, but I'm not sure of that.

Matrix, here we come!

HHC

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2008

Catherine wrote:
This is ridiculous. Why is it that only the stories about crazy kidnappers or stupid people who decide they want one avatar over another make the news? What about the fact that this year alone Second Life has raised a great deal of REAL LIFE money for charities such as the American Cancer Society, the ASPCA, and Locks of Love? What about the fact that people are creating digital art that would take your breath away? What about the fact that people who cannot walk in real life have finally found a place where they can experience walking, running and dancing? Is that not newsworthy? No, of course not. But put a couple of nutjobs up there who are filing for divorce and oh sure, it's front page news.
Catherine this is very true. I have a few musician friends that have their own clubs in Second Life. Which is unfortunate that I don't go there often because I love live/online music. There are many virtual stores in Second Life and galleries. If I could get the grasp of it and didn't feel so out of sorts when using the program I would take advantage of it's virtual assets.
If someone is going to cheat, it does not matter where they are, it is not the fault of the place, but, the fault of the actions of the individuals.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Newquay, England Discussions

Search the Newquay, England Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
ganja man (Apr '11) Mar '14 randy 5
Crap Towns is nothing but an exercise in laughi... (Oct '13) Dec '13 About Stockton on Tees 3
Main image for 'Send me to prison over dog mess... (Nov '13) Nov '13 no fouling 3
Be the first to comment (Jan '13) Jan '13 Yeshi Gemaneh 1
Main image for Derelict Newquay bus station has... (Nov '11) Nov '11 Joyce 1
Animal rights activists admit blackmail (Sep '10) Sep '10 UAAF 1
Ruined Town (Jan '09) Mar '10 G J Townsend 3
•••
•••