A flawed expanded day plan for Leominster - Sentinel & Enterprise

Leominster school district officials are pushing an ambitious and controversial proposal to extend the school day at just two of the city's elementary schools. Full Story
Add weeks to the year

West Boylston, MA

#1 Nov 14, 2008
It's unclear why the people who wrote these proposals rejected the idea of additional weeks of school. I doubt if there would be too much opposition to a plan like that, maybe even one that has shortened days in the summer.
Mom

Leominster, MA

#2 Nov 14, 2008
Parents at Southeast were absolutely not involved in this process in anyway. That is the root of all these problems.
The point

West Boylston, MA

#3 Nov 14, 2008
Mom wrote:
Parents at Southeast were absolutely not involved in this process in anyway. That is the root of all these problems.
It's terrible to pin the root of all of the problems to one school. The point of the editorial, which is very well taken, is that this whole fiasco of trying to create two classes of elementary schools with different schedules, which was developed by the superintendent, was flawed from the start. Nadine has tried to make it like it was the idea of the principals of these schools to pursue this which can't be true but was merely a tactic meant to deflect blame from her when the project goes off track. Check out other newspapers where there are plenty of articles about how this has been her pet project in at least two school districts. It seems that she is using the principals of the schools to shield herself from negative attention at public sessions. Her lack of honesty and her manipulation of some parents and staff members during this process is shameful in my opinion. I hope these principals don't take the brunt of her disappointment when ultimately this project is given it's proper burial.
Dr Feinweld

Fitchburg, MA

#4 Nov 14, 2008
I feel Nadine is right on target with her ideas. I also feel they should extend school days into the weekend for a half day on Saturday, this I feel would give the kids more time with the academic studies.
The parents should get a tax increase per child to offset the cost associated with the extended school hours.
are you serious

West Boylston, MA

#5 Nov 14, 2008
Dr Feinweld wrote:
I feel Nadine is right on target with her ideas. I also feel they should extend school days into the weekend for a half day on Saturday, this I feel would give the kids more time with the academic studies.
The parents should get a tax increase per child to offset the cost associated with the extended school hours.
So you would give a tax break to parents if they allow the schools to keep their children for a longer period of time? I hope you're joking.
Dr Feinweld

Fitchburg, MA

#6 Nov 14, 2008
are you serious wrote:
<quoted text>
So you would give a tax break to parents if they allow the schools to keep their children for a longer period of time? I hope you're joking.
No mam a tax increase per child would be more appropriate
on that we agree

West Boylston, MA

#7 Nov 14, 2008
Dr Feinweld wrote:
<quoted text>
No mam a tax increase per child would be more appropriate
It's sir, and I agree but believe that the plan would fall completely flat if anyone realized they were paying for it.
If you are a supporter of the Binkley plan you must be at j.a. or fall brook. The rest of us are ticked off.
central mass resident

North Brookfield, MA

#8 Nov 14, 2008
I think everyone agrees that our agricultural/farming based school schedule is outdated. Children are not needed to harvest the crops for the family farm any longer. What is the benefit of haivng children sitting around June, July and August ? Most family vacations are less than 2 weeks long, resulting in many families sending their kids to summer camp or daycare.

A regular, calendar year for education is the logical answer, not longer school days. Most students are exhausted by 3:00pm.
exactly

West Boylston, MA

#9 Nov 15, 2008
central mass resident wrote:
I think everyone agrees that our agricultural/farming based school schedule is outdated. Children are not needed to harvest the crops for the family farm any longer. What is the benefit of haivng children sitting around June, July and August ? Most family vacations are less than 2 weeks long, resulting in many families sending their kids to summer camp or daycare.
A regular, calendar year for education is the logical answer, not longer school days. Most students are exhausted by 3:00pm.
Exactly, now there's the plan that will sell to the masses and benefit the children. I'm sure if the schools had invited enough parents around the table that this plan would have come from the group.
Interested Reader

Mattapan, MA

#10 Nov 15, 2008
Longer school days.
More weeks of school.
Longer academic year.

Quantity, Quantity, Quantity.

WHEN will someone start adressing the *real* problems?

QUALITY and FUNDING.

Having the children attend MORE time at school without addressing the QUALITY of the education that they are receiving is foolish.

Let us see the root cause analysis that shows WHY our children are not suceeding in education and WHY our public schools are incapable of delivering a QUALITY education.
STAMOS Pychatrist

Fitchburg, MA

#11 Nov 15, 2008
on that we agree wrote:
<quoted text>
It's sir, and I agree but believe that the plan would fall completely flat if anyone realized they were paying for it.
If you are a supporter of the Binkley plan you must be at j.a. or fall brook. The rest of us are ticked off.
Sir ,I support some of the issues of Mrs. Binkly's plan but not all.
Our current education system refuses to accept change and adjust to the growing global economy.
If we continue to accept the status quo and act as if nothing is wrong, the effects on our community economy and culture will be felt for decades. Failure to embrace dramatic education reforms threatens the nation's long-range future as a global power.
American students continue to lag behind students internationally, a trend that is threatening our nation's global standing.
respectfully

West Boylston, MA

#12 Nov 15, 2008
STAMOS Pychatrist wrote:
<quoted text>
Sir ,I support some of the issues of Mrs. Binkly's plan but not all.
Our current education system refuses to accept change and adjust to the growing global economy.
If we continue to accept the status quo and act as if nothing is wrong, the effects on our community economy and culture will be felt for decades. Failure to embrace dramatic education reforms threatens the nation's long-range future as a global power.
American students continue to lag behind students internationally, a trend that is threatening our nation's global standing.
With respect, Mr. Stamos, do you really think it is well advised to balance the global economy on the back of my 7 year old child? I am far less concerned with the global economy than I am with his future as a human being.
Dr Feinweld

Fitchburg, MA

#13 Nov 15, 2008
respectfully wrote:
<quoted text>
With respect, Mr. Stamos, do you really think it is well advised to balance the global economy on the back of my 7 year old child? I am far less concerned with the global economy than I am with his future as a human being.
Please do not take my comments out of context,. "balancing the global economy on the back of your 7 year old ? how did this derive from my comments.
We need to both require more transparency on how many students graduate from high
school and attend college, and prepare our high school students to take college level classes. Today, only a fraction of our students come to college fully prepared in key subject areas. We need to refocus on preparing
our students to enter college ready to succeed.
Develop better student assessments that allow teachers and parents to identify and focus on individual
needs and talents throughout the school year. Technology can help get information about student.
performance to teachers and parents in real time, and support ongoing efforts to improve student
performance in an area of weakness and support student success in areas where the student shows
particular interest or aptitude.
Just a thought
two headed man

West Boylston, MA

#14 Nov 17, 2008
Dr Feinweld wrote:
<quoted text>
Please do not take my comments out of context,. "balancing the global economy on the back of your 7 year old ? how did this derive from my comments.
We need to both require more transparency on how many students graduate from high
school and attend college, and prepare our high school students to take college level classes. Today, only a fraction of our students come to college fully prepared in key subject areas. We need to refocus on preparing
our students to enter college ready to succeed.
Develop better student assessments that allow teachers and parents to identify and focus on individual
needs and talents throughout the school year. Technology can help get information about student.
performance to teachers and parents in real time, and support ongoing efforts to improve student
performance in an area of weakness and support student success in areas where the student shows
particular interest or aptitude.
Just a thought
I did not realize that Stamos and Fienwad were one and the same. But, since you are, here is the answer you seek.
You write "Failure to embrace dramatic education reforms threatens the nation's long-range future as a global power."
Why should my little old child have to pay the price for the nation's future? I don't think this is fair. Kids need and deserve time for fun and outdoor play and they need not be burdened by the "nation's long range future as a global power."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Leominster, Wales Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man allegedly stabs three at bar - Sentinel & E... (Jun '08) May '12 none ya 61
No bail for man charged with attempted murder -... (Oct '10) Nov '10 confused 11
New Leominster Lowe's gives customers a sneak p... (Dec '07) Oct '10 Rico Suave 17
North Central Massachusetts Community Calendar ... (Oct '10) Oct '10 pat toms 3
North Central Massachusetts Community Calendar ... (Jul '10) Jul '10 An educated Voter 1
'Psychic healer' who claims he can cure cancer ... (Mar '10) Jun '10 eve 6
North Central Massachusetts Community Calendar ... (Apr '10) Apr '10 K Basque 1
More from around the web

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:27 pm PST