Compensation for care homes abuse

Full story: BBC News 2,633
The claims relate to former Nazareth House children's homes Victims of abuse at Nazareth House children's homes have been paid official compensation and more could follow, BBC Scotland has learned. Full Story
CHEFJOE

Belfast, UK

#2379 Apr 17, 2013
anyone in st patricks training school glen rd belfast 1960s to 1963 rng 07515014225 pls
Deirdre

Huddersfield, UK

#2380 Apr 19, 2013
To CHEF JOE Belfast,
HI I really hope you find someone to talk to about your abuse. What happened to my brothers in Rubane House was dreadful. They still find it so hard to talk about it all. I think men find it harder to talk about the abuse they suffered.
I wish you all the best. Deirdre
GJ McCann

Blackpool, UK

#2381 Apr 19, 2013
Deirdre wrote:
To CHEF JOE Belfast,
HI I really hope you find someone to talk to about your abuse. What happened to my brothers in Rubane House was dreadful. They still find it so hard to talk about it all. I think men find it harder to talk about the abuse they suffered.
I wish you all the best. Deirdre
Deirdre, you mention your brothers were in Rubane, can I asked you when they arrived and left. I also was in Rubane and I may know of them. Hope they are doing ok and hopefully have moved on.
Deirdre

Huddersfield, UK

#2382 Apr 20, 2013
GJ McCann wrote:
<quoted text>
Deirdre, you mention your brothers were in Rubane, can I asked you when they arrived and left. I also was in Rubane and I may know of them. Hope they are doing ok and hopefully have moved on.
Hi Think they left there around 1963. They don't say a great deal, hurts too much even after all these years. They have spoken about Br Ignatius. If you watch the interview me & Brian did for newsline you may remember him. Think you may be younger than them.
A guy called Topsey remembers them. Deirdre
Keep the Faith

UK

#2384 Apr 22, 2013
Deirdre wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Think they left there around 1963. They don't say a great deal, hurts too much even after all these years. They have spoken about Br Ignatius. If you watch the interview me & Brian did for newsline you may remember him. Think you may be younger than them.
A guy called Topsey remembers them. Deirdre
Deirdre, yes I was much younger but I have heard of Br Ignatius who I have heard of many stories relating to his time in Rubane. I count myself very lucky. Sadly he has along with some others left a trail of destruction far beyond the imagination of any right thinking person. Given my account of when I was in Rubane, from my perspective was very fortunate that the Brothers whom I knew were good and kind subsequelty I had no issues or concerns.

Bearing that in mind my heart goes out to all who did suffered and having to carry the burden of infliction by opportunist, namely the few who had no thought for their victim, and as a result the decent brothers are lsadly tarnished by association. I really do hope your brothers have in some small way got on with their lives and to know they are not on their own. Take good care
bernie quinn

Belfast, UK

#2386 Apr 23, 2013
keep the faith Thank you so much for your writings, it really does anger me that so many good priests are tarnished because of a few bad apples in the barrel. The amount of priests I know here in Belfast are fantastic and go over and above the call of duty to try to help those who require their assistance. Priests are an necessity for those of us who follow our faith as we need them to break the bread and wine and what angers me more is that there is so much media attention given to someone who is accused but when all allegations have been cleared through the courts and the priest found to be innocent the media don't give the innocent man the same media attention as to what he injured before when suspicion was rampant.

I believe the catholic church are still washing their hands re the subject of sexual abuse. I think it is a fact when I say the church wants the individual orders to answer to the abused but I feel personally this must come from the top, the church as a whole needs to take on board the suffering which has been injured for many years and a lot of victims could have been saved if the church had of been more honest. These orders could not operate on their own as they were part and parcel of the church so why the church think that it is proper for the individual orders to sort out their own mess, I feel is wrong and I feel true justice will not be adhered to.
My heart goes out to those who find life impossible because of what they experienced
bernie quinn

Belfast, UK

#2387 Apr 23, 2013
CHEFJOE wrote:
anyone in st patricks training school glen rd belfast 1960s to 1963 rng 07515014225 pls
hI CHEFJOE i AM GOING TO PASS YOUR PHONE NUMBER ON TO SOME ONE i KNOW WHO WAS IN ST PATS. i KNOW THEY DONT POST ON THIS SITE AND I WILL ENCOURAGE THEM TO TALK WITH YOU HAVE YOU BEEN TO THE INQUIRY YET?
GJMcCann

Blackpool, UK

#2388 Apr 23, 2013
Bernie clearly you have articulated an obvious aspect, that while many many priests have had to endured trail by not only the media but sadly by others who ought to know better. If we believe in the legal system then everyone is innocent until proved guilty. Therefore lets not make judgement on hear say just because we think we are right. Sadly too many get on the bandwagon just because they think clergy are guilty by association. Like you I know and admired many priest who tireless go out of their way to reach out. Never ever judged the book by its cover. With all say and done ultimately the church and those who hold senior position within, should set an example and do the right thing. Remember the church is its people and without them, the church does not exist. Let those who has not sinned cast the first stone.

Given my upbringing by these orders who are continue to be named and tarnished, that I must stress in the strongest terms that the vast majority of nuns brothers and priests whom I have met during my fifteen years in institutions, I had received not direct abuse but sadly it was others who trespass and violated harmless children. This I will never forgive or ever forget, I have to lived with that each and every day.
If you can draw some comfort, is known you are not alone and I also feel and hear you pain. Take care and just remember we are all in this together.
leo

Wolverhampton, UK

#2389 Apr 24, 2013
hi to any one that was in nazereth lodge belfast from 1959 to 1966 can you remember sister frances or sister claire they where to evil cows if any one new them pleas contact me thanks leo mcgarrigle
GJMcCann

Blackpool, UK

#2390 Apr 24, 2013
leo wrote:
hi to any one that was in nazereth lodge belfast from 1959 to 1966 can you remember sister frances or sister claire they where to evil cows if any one new them pleas contact me thanks leo mcgarrigle
Hi Leo, I was there from 1957 to 1968 and I certainly knew Sr Claire not too sure about Sr Francis. I was attached to Sr Cecelia group, S Hearts and later Sr Fintan. Your named seems firmilar, were you in Sr Perpetual group Our Lady's along with Seamus Laverty, the Hanna brothers Robert, David and Tony, the Furys Danny, John & Francis It's such along time but am sure I know you. Hope this of some help get back and am sure we could meet up, presuming you are in Belfast. Good to hear from you take care. Gerry
leo

Wolverhampton, UK

#2391 Apr 25, 2013
hi gerry thanks for getting back to me i cant remember any one that was there thats what that place did to me left there 1966 moved to england been here 46 years can you remember the old church that we all played in the ropes and the monkey bars / been trying for about 3 years to see if any one remember me it was knot a nice place still have bad dreams talk to you soon take care / leo
GJMcCann

Blackpool, UK

#2392 Apr 25, 2013
leo wrote:
hi gerry thanks for getting back to me i cant remember any one that was there thats what that place did to me left there 1966 moved to england been here 46 years can you remember the old church that we all played in the ropes and the monkey bars / been trying for about 3 years to see if any one remember me it was knot a nice place still have bad dreams talk to you soon take care / leo
Hi Leo,
Ever so sorry your experiences within Nazareth Lodge was bad, while I can relate to your reflection back then, I am mindful not everyone or thing was bad. It's important that the truth needs to be told and whether it was nuns or lay staff who caused hurt and suffering, that then they need to be made accountable. Sadly as we know the likelihood of seeking prosecution is highly unlikely due to the those who are now are elderly people, presuming they are still alive.

If It would be of any help to you, I would suggest forward on your email address and this will allows us to exchanged the various happening prior to you leaving in 66. Furthermore it would be nice just to catch up and to see how your life has moved on, hopefully for the better. Leo please keep in touch and remember we are here for you. Take good care and talk to you soon. Gerry
Baillie Gillies

Kilmarnock, UK

#2393 May 1, 2013
MOLLY bENNETT wrote:
Does anyone remember Melchet court in Hampshire as an orphanage run by the sisters of Nazareth during the 1940/50s I am one of them and wonder if any others are still alive ?
My younger brother was there between 1950 and 54 when they were all moved to Southampton. I didn't realise they also had girls there.
bernie quinn

UK

#2395 May 5, 2013
Went out with a couple of girls from nazareth. Unbelievable time. It was like stepping back in time. I'm not referring to sharing our stories. No. Just being together. That is one thing I will be eternally grateful to the nuns for and that is the bond that exists between us all.

Went for a meal but had nothing else planned. The meal was lovely and we decided to go for a drink in one of the clubs on the andserstown road. There was dancing and music in another room playing our era. I spoke to the lady who had hired it and asked her if we could come in for a dance. She allowed us and we danced the night away. All of us showing off of course. No seriously. Just being ourselves. Music meant so much to us all those years ago and I can assure you it showed in reality.
Sandra Mann

Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK

#2396 May 5, 2013
Annie Grace wrote:
My Family were in Nazareth House from 1911. Hugh, Margaret, Anne, Alexander, Donald and John, were all siblings when their mother Grace (Robertson) McQueen died. They were all Travelling Folk.(Gypsies).
Does anyone have information to any of their whereabouts?
Thank you.
Hy Annie
I dont have much information but I am from the McQueen line. I see on the census 1901 Hugh McQuuen and Grace but there seems to be a big age gap?
Sandra
Melanie Clifton

Ryde, UK

#2397 May 6, 2013
I was at nazereth house in bexhill for 4 years, I loved every minute there. Was treated with nothing but love & kindness. Such a shame for so many to be treated so badly.
MOLLY bENNETT

Southampton, UK

#2398 May 6, 2013
this is the most rational comment/statement I have heard on here for some while , it has all got too competitive and personal and i feel some have forgotten what the forum is about, it is for all those who suffered at the hands of these vicious and cruel nuns. we all have different stories and different views on the treatment we received, we must respect all the views on here and not be judgmental of others. please ! we have all suffered in varying degrees let us not disrespect each other but remember we share a common experience and live to tell the tale .
Objective wrote:
<quoted text>
To Derry Irish & Bernie
Girls, really is this the way to exchanged different points of view, its appalling having to read this unfortunate rhetoric that only drives other contributors further apart, let alone be part of the debate as to what really occurred. The object of discussion is, you would hope is to respect each persons opinion whether we agreed or disagreed. Sadly I find this sort of needless point scoring rather divisive ought to be constructive. Am not so sure if either can comprehend the message you are trying to rely and therefore I sense both have lost the argument.
My thoughts would be we have a shared principle in-which ought to bring us together rather than scoring points of each other. The over riding aspect, that regrettably the experiences we can recall is still very visible even to this very day. The fact with having an Inquiry into Historical Institutional Abuse in NI, is because our voices have been heard. For many former Nazareth residents this hopefully allows the wounds to closed and to, in someway to put closure to a difficult period of our lives.
This is never more apparent that sadly many of our former residents have gone to their graves having never had the opportunity to address their experiences. I sense while we own it to ourselves, we own it to those who can't be here. Therefore I asked you both girls, from Derry and Belfast, to spare a thought and just remember we are all in this together. I suspect in the fullness of time we will reconcile known that, the Inquiry is for everyone both from negative and also a positive aspect.
MOLLY bENNETT

Southampton, UK

#2399 May 6, 2013
we were there for a while as they were preparing a place in Southsea where most of the girls were eventually moved to , but my brothers stayed their at Melchet court for some time after , what was your brothers name?
Baillie Gillies wrote:
<quoted text>
My younger brother was there between 1950 and 54 when they were all moved to Southampton. I didn't realise they also had girls there.
Baillie Gillies

West Linton, UK

#2400 May 10, 2013
James Baillie. He was there until late 1957, beginning 58 then some distant relatives(?) took him away from the home and used him to get money off the Social Services that was used to pay for their own childrens private education and to maintain the family's standard of living. He left Nazareth House in the second hand clothes he was given and left, or rather was kicked out at sixteen by the relatives with only the hand me down clothes he wore and no better educated than when he arrived. I was for years baffled, as he was as to how they had done it as they neither fostered nor adopted him but years later a lawyer explain that they probably got a court to award them legal Guardianship, which gave them power over every aspect of his life, including assets. Apparently back then they were able to claim somewhere between 12 and 16 a week for his upkeep. As the average wage back then was around 700.00 per annum and school fees around 600 there's no way they could afford to give them a private education. He hated it there, said it was emotionally worse than Nazareth House and they tried to make him feel guilty for using him to pay for their children's education and keep up their (in fact probably improved) standard of living. When they told him to leave it was with the understanding they wanted nothing more to do with him.

We were never close but we did speak at length one time and he did go on to live quite a full and interesting life, probably doing more and achieving much more than those whose education he had paid for.
MOLLY bENNETT wrote:
we were there for a while as they were preparing a place in Southsea where most of the girls were eventually moved to , but my brothers stayed their at Melchet court for some time after , what was your brothers name?<quoted text>
Elizabeth Henry

Luton, UK

#2401 May 10, 2013
So sorry I missed the date you set, Please let me know the next time you are all meeting up, I need at least a weeks notice as I have to book days off. I cannot wait to meet you and the girls,
Take care xxxx
bernie quinn wrote:
Went out with a couple of girls from nazareth. Unbelievable time. It was like stepping back in time. I'm not referring to sharing our stories. No. Just being together. That is one thing I will be eternally grateful to the nuns for and that is the bond that exists between us all.
Went for a meal but had nothing else planned. The meal was lovely and we decided to go for a drink in one of the clubs on the andserstown road. There was dancing and music in another room playing our era. I spoke to the lady who had hired it and asked her if we could come in for a dance. She allowed us and we danced the night away. All of us showing off of course. No seriously. Just being ourselves. Music meant so much to us all those years ago and I can assure you it showed in reality.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kilmarnock, Scotland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sucker 8 hr cancan 2
nsa 14 hr cancan 3
female wanted for nsa fun Jan 13 Randy Snowman 3
Bogus callers Jan 8 Concerned 1
be aware Jan 8 Concerned 1
Flash flooding traps shoppers Dec '14 Tuesday 1
kilmarnock meet now Nov '14 ando8 1
More from around the web

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:22 pm PST