Compensation for care homes abuse

Full story: BBC News 2,626
The claims relate to former Nazareth House children's homes Victims of abuse at Nazareth House children's homes have been paid official compensation and more could follow, BBC Scotland has learned. Full Story
peg

UK

#2206 Feb 18, 2013
Deirdre wrote:
Some of you may be interested in looking up a documentary called Silence In The House Of God
It's about a home for deaf boys who were abused in the U S A
Hi Deirdre,
There has been quite some publicity for this Docu/Film.Title Mea Maxima Culpa:Silence in the house of God.
I for one will certainly watch it when it is released.I expect it will be quite harrowing to watch.Though, for us who suffered in our childhood from abuse by the nuns...we can cope with most things in our present day lives.
The reviews are not favourable to Joseph Ratzinger the present Pope, who was a Cardinal at the time the abuse was reported.....nothing was done to stop the abuse.
It will be very interesting to watch and form our own judgements.
Pegxxx
Derry Irish

Glasgow, UK

#2208 Feb 20, 2013
katie wrote:
dont u all think you shud appologise to the nuns,they gave u a home,they never wanted abandoned kidz,they were forced by goverment to keep you, it amazes me that u lot have never appologised xx
Awwwk Katie...A bit thick are we?, thats ok, I'll try to keep this simple for you so that you understand, the Nuns where not forced to keep anyone for to infact the nuns sometimes picked and choose the kids they wanted , particularly those who where most vulnerable in order to carry out violent, sick and perverted acts on. Do you honestly think those institutions where not gaining , quite alot infact by keeping children. Yes Children and young people where placed there by the state, but each child's head came with a valuable monetary price to the nuns. The nuns didn't feed and clothe these children out of their own pocket, it was via donations from the state and public. Please get your facts right before coming on here with your nasty and poorly worded comments. Perhaps a wee course on Literacy is what you should be concentrating on as apposed to coming on to a site like this, or is it a case of deliberate poor grammar to cover up who you really are coz you haven't the guts to revel your true identity?
Margaret Goggin s

Windsor, UK

#2209 Feb 20, 2013
I don't think so, Derry Irish. She's as venomous as another one who comes here to enlighten us all about how grateful we were to have a roof over our heads, blah, blah. But no-one could be that thick.
Peg

Liverpool, UK

#2210 Feb 20, 2013
I have had some very nasty, totally unjustified comments from "Katie" in past postings.
It has been very quiet of late...(thank goodness)from another spiteful woman we choose to ignore?
No prizes for guessing who that is?!
Deirdre

Huddersfield, UK

#2211 Feb 23, 2013
I heard something on T V yesyerday but didn't catch it all. It was a priest / Bishop saying he hoped the next pope would allow priests to marry.
Think he was from Scotland. Anyone elese hear what was said? I was multitasking & just heard that bit.
wiseupxx

UK

#2212 Feb 23, 2013
Deirdre wrote:
I heard something on T V yesyerday but didn't catch it all. It was a priest / Bishop saying he hoped the next pope would allow priests to marry.
Think he was from Scotland. Anyone elese hear what was said? I was multitasking & just heard that bit.
Yes Deirdre.
I heard it on tv,but i only caught the back end of it as well.
But lets hope it happens,then they might leave little kids alone.
xxx
cecilia sheilds

Newmarket, UK

#2213 Feb 23, 2013
hi me an my 2 sisters wer in nazareth frm 1962 till 67 i stil hav nightmares bout i was 6years old when i went in an i suffer frm very bad depression
Deirdre

Huddersfield, UK

#2214 Feb 24, 2013
wiseupxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Deirdre.
I heard it on tv,but i only caught the back end of it as well.
But lets hope it happens,then they might leave little kids alone.
xxx
HI, I thought it was the Bishop in Scotland, I heard a Bishop from scotland has been reported to the Pope & the Pope's resigination is to do with the child abuse scandal & gay bishops.
Whatever his reasons for resigning he's left a great deal for the next one to sort out. I'm not a Church fan but a younger Pope with more go in him & different ideas of the real world may make some differernce. Dee
Rebecca Smollett

Toronto, Canada

#2215 Feb 28, 2013
Patrick Jonathan Newland wrote:
Yes I was there at that time
Is this the Jonathan Newland I know ....Belfast/Toronto/Montreal/t ravels on north Antrim coast.... I would love to be in touch. r.smollett@utoronto.ca. If anyone is in touch with Jonathan, please pass on my email address.
Margaret Goggins

Maidenhead, UK

#2217 Mar 3, 2013
This present outgoing Pope was a member of the Hitler Youth Movement. It would appear that all along he maintained that he had no choice in the matter but it has now come to light from a young man from the same village as Mr. Ratzinger has said that he doesn't understand why Mr Ratzinger has maintained all along that he had no choice and states that he chose to join the Hitler Youth Movement. It would now appear that the several billion Catholics in the world was a Nazi. Nice, eh? We now this evening hear on the News that Cardinal Keith O'Brien, the foremost figure of the Catholic Church in Scotland who resigned about a week ago after denying any wrongdoing has now admitted that wrongdoing. But he still, like Mr Ratzinger gets to live out his life in comfort. I hope they never have a good night's sleep. Child abusers, Nazis, paedophiles heading a Church. The world has gone mad!
peg

UK

#2218 Mar 3, 2013
Margaret Goggins wrote:
This present outgoing Pope was a member of the Hitler Youth Movement. It would appear that all along he maintained that he had no choice in the matter but it has now come to light from a young man from the same village as Mr. Ratzinger has said that he doesn't understand why Mr Ratzinger has maintained all along that he had no choice and states that he chose to join the Hitler Youth Movement. It would now appear that the several billion Catholics in the world was a Nazi. Nice, eh? We now this evening hear on the News that Cardinal Keith O'Brien, the foremost figure of the Catholic Church in Scotland who resigned about a week ago after denying any wrongdoing has now admitted that wrongdoing. But he still, like Mr Ratzinger gets to live out his life in comfort. I hope they never have a good night's sleep. Child abusers, Nazis, paedophiles heading a Church. The world has gone mad!
Hi Margaret,
What an almighty farce is being played in the Vatican?!Pope infallible...? What a laugh!
I am sure there will be more scandals surfacing in the near future, hence Mr.Ratzinger resigning due to "ill health"..Another cover up I suspect.
The whole murky business is incomprehensible.
But, they get away with it because devout catholics live in denial that the clergy, in their eyes can do no wrong?!
Complete brainwashing...
Margaret Goggins

Maidenhead, UK

#2219 Mar 3, 2013
It would appear also in the News today that Ratzinger has applied to the Italian government for immunity against any charges of abuse which may be brought against him. Oh, I'm certain that there will be a lot more uncovered in the weeks and months to come. I'd be ashamed to be a Catholic. One of the priests who blew the whistle on Cardinal O'Brien has reported that all the support he has received from the Church is a short email, a few telephone numbers and the offer of counselling several hundred miles away. Sound familiar?
izzi frm fife

Glasgow, UK

#2220 Mar 9, 2013
hi to ceceilia, from izzi in fife scotland ,would love to be able to talk to someone else who has also been in naz house homes i was in naz h cardonald 65-77 to share our experiences and support eachother.go on facebook luv add me as friend izzi andrews and i will get back to you.b grt to spk to you and know your not alone or email izzi.andrews@gmail.com look forward to hear frm you ...in love n light ..izzi
bernie quinn

Belfast, UK

#2221 Mar 10, 2013
Deirdre wrote:
How could we escape from all the news that the pope is to resign. Must be something to do with horse meat in the communion bread. Shame Sean Brady didn't resign with him.
Hope the next pope will be more humane. Allow priests to marry & permit contraception.
Deirdre why would such a subject trouble you considering the fact that you don't go to church any more, after all the information came from the horses mouth maybe you've had some of that horse meat yourself that it making you forget what you say. And by the way children weren't allowed in the laundry. You must have been down blanket street to dream up that one. just for your information the laundry was for in house only. It was not commercial. I and a lot of other girls I know are submitting our histories so in reality when they have to weigh up the truths against invented stories they will get the right balance.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
bernie quinn

Belfast, UK

#2222 Mar 10, 2013
BQ Just to Reiterate 3 wrote:
Naturally their maybe some inaccuracies in the post above, information was correct at the time that it was written it was copied and pasted from a post in page 79 and 80, but the points are the same - considering Ms. Quinn would be the type to point out the inaccuracies of it, but the fact where correct when the original post was written.
yes indeed there is errors their just to number a few.oh silly me I spelt it the same way you did.!! So you can't give your name but I don't think it's too hard to guess but to be honest I couldn't give too hoots. You can write what you like as its a free world just I will write what I like and I don't care who doesn't agree with it. Oh I forgot about Kate but then some of you thought we were the same person. What's wrong no name? After some money yourself or maybe it's an office you require??? Free of course??? If you don't like what I say don't read it. It really isn't rocket science. Goodbye no name I find your study of me pathetic. You could have written worse truths. Disappointing to say the least.
dave greenhouse

UK

#2224 Mar 11, 2013
Darren Murphy wrote:
i was in nazereth lodge in the 1990's im 22 years old now and all i can say is the pain and suffering i went through in that place was a NIGHTMARE it was meant to be run by holy people catholic nuns etc? it was like a prison. if anyone would like to discuss and possibly help me out? recently as i have progressed in my age my past has caught up on me and its getting very hard to cope my email is jawbreaker857@hotmail.com
don't think about it because it will get to you more and more, I can cope with it now because I asked my girlfriend to marry me and I know as long as I have her I don't need to look back, if you have a girlfriend or wife keep her close darren because she will stick by you like nobody else, I was in that care home and what they did to me nearly brought me to suicide! But now I know that I can't trust anyone not even people who are in the eyes of god, keep your faith and be strong! I had to move out of belfast because I did not want to be reminded everyday of my life!
Annie Grace

Stratford-upon-avon, UK

#2225 Mar 11, 2013
My Family were in Nazareth House from 1911. Hugh, Margaret, Anne, Alexander, Donald and John, were all siblings when their mother Grace (Robertson) McQueen died. They were all Travelling Folk.(Gypsies).
Does anyone have information to any of their whereabouts?
Thank you.
bernie quinn

Belfast, UK

#2226 Mar 11, 2013
Annie Grace wrote:
My Family were in Nazareth House from 1911. Hugh, Margaret, Anne, Alexander, Donald and John, were all siblings when their mother Grace (Robertson) McQueen died. They were all Travelling Folk.(Gypsies).
Does anyone have information to any of their whereabouts?
Thank you.
big Annie there were gypsies travelling folk in 1961which was in my time maybe someone on here might be able to help but what I do know is that a lot of girls never left and as they got to the elderly stage they were given rooms in the elderly quarters. Some girls couldn't leave as they were so institutionalised and afraid of the outside. In saying all that, I don't remember any elderly families except the McWilliams and the Donnellys the Donnelly girls never left. There was one girl in our group who never left along with other girls I grew up with but eventually the girls were made to move out together to share a house and this broke the cycle of young people becoming old in care. Wish you all the best of luck in locating your family.
bernie quinn

Belfast, UK

#2227 Mar 11, 2013
Liz Henry. So sorry I haven't replied to your email some of the kids r doing their Alevels and getting on the computer is an impossibility. I hate using the kindle as I can only use one finger and it tends rewrite words for me. Promise will write soon got so much to tell you. Keep your chin up love Bernie x
bernie quinn

Belfast, UK

#2228 Mar 11, 2013
bernie quinn wrote:
<quoted text>big Annie there were gypsies travelling folk in 1961which was in my time maybe someone on here might be able to help but what I do know is that a lot of girls never left and as they got to the elderly stage they were given rooms in the elderly quarters. Some girls couldn't leave as they were so institutionalised and afraid of the outside. In saying all that, I don't remember any elderly families except the McWilliams and the Donnellys the Donnelly girls never left. There was one girl in our group who never left along with other girls I grew up with but eventually the girls were made to move out together to share a house and this broke the cycle of young people becoming old in care. Wish you all the best of luck in locating your family.
hi Annie sorry about the beginning g of the text I had originally typed hi and this contraptionchanged the word to big apologies.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kilmarnock, Scotland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
kilmarnock meet now Nov '14 ando8 1
discreet meet Oct '14 tim 1
weed (Sep '13) Oct '14 terranxe 4
Kilmarnock meet Sep '14 Pazman 1
Ballochmyle Hospital memories relived (Sep '09) Jul '14 Phyllis wood 21
meet now (Mar '14) Mar '14 gman 1
If only a Scotsman had boldly gonea | Kevin McK... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Glasgow nite skie... 1
More from around the web

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:13 pm PST