Shane

Manchester, UK

#1 Jan 12, 2011
I'm a married bloke with 2 young children (son, 4 and daughter, 7 weeks). I'm thinking of moving to Chippenham (from south Manchester, but I'm originally from Somerset.)

I'm going to come down to visit in early February, and the schools seem good, and I'm hopeful to find work fairly locally as a software developer.

So - what's the place like? I'm really hopeful I'll like it - what are its good and bad points? Any comments would be really appreciated. BTW, house budget would be between 400-500k.

Thanks, Shane.
Toxic sites Chippenham

UK

#2 Jun 4, 2012
Hi,
If I were you I would not buy any property in Rowden lane or nearby. There are more risks there than anywhere else in chippenham.

HEALTH RISK. During 2007 developers carried out a soil test on land and it showed the land was not safe for new homes, with toxic carcinogenic chemicals, high levels of arsenic, cyanide, lead, and cancer causing radon identified in a plan, make it clear that these toxins can be absorbed through the skin or breathed in by anyone on the land or within any new homes. The report said that it could not rule out the chemicals and corrosives getting into the drinking water system. The site Brooklands, Rowen lane, nr. Patterdown, Chippenham, is within the river Avon flood plain and the area does flood when conditions are right.

The developer Redcliffe homes from Chipping Sodbury unscrupulously concealed these facts and went a head and built the development called Brooklands. People in the area have suffered serious health problems, with several experiencing organ failures and reports in the press highlight a history of premature deaths from cancers and tumours. The developers concealed all of these facts from purchasers of the new homes and left them with what was described in the press as a toxic Time bomb.

You can find useful links to press on the dangerous toxins at http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/yoursay/let... and
http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/yoursay/let...
And
http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/yoursay/let...

Other land nearby is also contaminated. Now the same developer is planning to build other homes on a development called Rowden Park on more toxic land nearby and within the river Avon flood plain again !. Toxic chemicals do not observe fences. Many areas have high levels of dangerous chemicals including Westcroft, not far from Rowden lane, which the council said in the 1980s should not be built on.

INFERNO RISK. Land at the rear of the public house on the North side of Rowden lane in the gardens of 'the bungalow' which has several government oil pipes (sometimes known as GSSS) running through it which could fracture and cause an inferno. Remember the Buncefield oil pipe disaster ? Despite this there are plans approved to built new homes on this land despite the risk to anyone living there if the pipes should fracture and destroy homes and lives. They can deteriorate and fracture and catch fire at anytime. Who wants to live in a home with these pipes below or alongside your home ? Its Madness to place your family at such risk.

NO INSURANCE COVER - LOSS OF INVESTMENT RISKS. Its unlikely any insurer would insure such homes because of the obvious risks and unlikely that these homes would be able to be re-sold if purchased by the unsuspecting public, a loss of investment is on the cards.

Beware of these high risks to you and your family and children before considering buying any new property in the Rowden area of Rowden lane or at the proposed development called Rowden Park or on land above these Government oil pipes in the gardens of 'the bungalow' on the land on the North side of Rowden lane.

The developers or the council will not reveal these risks but You have been warned. I hope I will enable those thinking of buying a home to avoid the danger areas.
Redcliffe homes AVOID

UK

#3 Jun 19, 2012
Avoid The Bungalow, REDCLIFFE HOMES Phase 2 Rowden lane, Chippenham - serious Inferno and toxic health risks are very real. A relative of mine was involved in carrying out a survey for Developers Taylor Wimpey in 2008 at this location. There were so many Government oil pipes (SSSGs) Zig Zagging across this land, which the land owners failed to disclose, that we had to dig by hand during our survey and could not use machinery for fear of rupturing the oil pipes and causing a fire.

The owners/agents of the Oil pipes had wayleave rights and refused to give these rights of access up and new homes could not be built over or obstruct any access to the pipes. What we concluded was that development of any new homes there was therefore impossible, was not financially viable and so problematic that it risked causing an immense financial loss.

When Taylor Wimpey heard the news and realised the implications, Taylor Wimpey immediately abandoned the proposed development of this site (which Redcliffe homes call Phase 2 of Rowden lane) and another nearby (which Redcliffe homes call Phase 3) and pulled out of the proposed project altogether.

The fire risk on this site and the toxic chemicals in the land and the liability was something they had not been aware of, also a factor that they were pleased to drop like a hot potato.

The current owners told my relative that her sister who grew up there had just died just the November (2007) before from an aggressive cancer within weeks of diagnosis, and that her father also died from aggressive cancer and that her husband regularly burns huge quantities of plastics and other chemicals in the land from his window business. I told her that explained the dangerous levels of cyanide. Once told Taylor Wimpey would abandoned the site, the owners said they now needed top catch some other developer , that they were anxious to sell and move away because of the risks with which they have had to live with.

I am therefore very surprised that these same unscrupulous land owners appear to have tricked Redcliffe homes and conned them into thinking the site could provide new homes.

I am pleased I found this site by accident and can contribute as In my relatives professional view, The Bungalow on the North of Rowden lane is, like Phase 3 of Rowden lane, known as The Piggery, which was also serious contaminated, and unsuitable for any new homes and some of the most dangerous places to build any new homes in Wiltshire.
Sarah Hills

Guildford, UK

#4 Nov 17, 2012
What a complete load of made up nonsense. Surely no-one with a modicum of intelligence will believe this rubbish.
Used to have a nice park

Southampton, UK

#5 Nov 19, 2012
Used to have a nice park near the river people could sunbathe or picnic. People would take their children there to feed the ducks in the quiet, or there would be nice fetes with craft stalls. Now they have started to ruin the whole park by building a concrete skate parks, when there is lots of space on the other side of the river by the gym that nobody uses.
A Gibson

Liverpool, UK

#6 Jun 28, 2013
Redcliffe homes Toxic sites are now being called Rowden court [formerly The Bungalow] and Rowden Manor drive [formerly The Piggery] on their website to disguise the risks in these deadly sites.

New Home Buyers in Chippenham Wiltshire beware, Redcliffe have Toxic reports which they concealed, which claim there are serious risks in this area and there are press reports of serious health issues in the Rowden lane and Patterdown area.

Check out the reports at the following location

http://www.hudston.me/wiltshire-council-appro...

You have been warned.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chippenham, England Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Redcliffe Homes Major construction faults Apr 7 Producer 1
BLIGHTED Redcliffe homes development Rowden Cou... Mar '15 Producer 1
News Chippenham resident scoops charity lottery win Mar '15 saleh87223192alha... 1
Redcliffe homes Rowden court development - BUYE... Jan '15 Clive of Rowden 1
News Chippenham's Poundland and Costa Coffee shut af... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Jill 1
Book Clubs (May '14) Aug '14 Bee 2
News Vice principal is paid off by Wiltshire College (Sep '13) Sep '13 gentlyduzzit 1
More from around the web