Smoking marijuana ups risk of schizophrenia: study

Jul 26, 2007 | Posted by: Reuters | Full story: Reuters

“We have described a consistent association between cannabis use and psychotic symptoms, including disabling psychotic disorders”

By Michael Kahn

LONDON (Reuters) - Using marijuana increases the risk of one day developing a psychotic illness such as schizophrenia, according to a study that provides some of the strongest evidence yet linking the drug to a mental disorder.

Marijuana is one the most commonly used illegal substances in many countries with up to 20 percent of young people in places like Britain reporting either some use or heavy use, British researchers said, citing government statistics.

Many consider it on par with alcohol or tobacco but the results shows marijuana poses a danger many smokers underestimate, said Stanley Zammit, a psychiatrist at Cardiff University and the University of Bristol, who worked on the study. Read more

Comments
1 - 20 of 58 Comments Last updated Apr 4, 2008
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
DryCow

Burlington, VT

#1 Jul 28, 2007
Well it looks like society is 41% more psychotic than I thought.
Another brick in the wall

Longmont, CO

#2 Jul 28, 2007
Most of this would be due to fear of the police and our government. They are the real criminals in this matter.
Richard

Canada

#3 Jul 28, 2007
The scizophrenics are self medicating with cannabis because it helps them.
wallace

Olney, MD

#4 Aug 9, 2007
Growing up in Jamaica I personally witnessed on several occassions people going stark crazy after using marijuana. It was dishearting to read how researchers have trivialized the effects of this drug. I am truely greatful for your article which I can now use as scientic proof of the correlation between the use of Marijuana and mental illness when I talk to young adults. Thank you so much.
Nikke

Norfolk, VA

#5 Aug 23, 2007
So does it or doesn't it? Because I am an avid marijuana smoker myself. Once a day...at night. Its a great release. I don't drive or do anything crazy. I just watch movies and whatnot.
So does it cause schizophrenia or not?
Ziggy

Cincinnati, OH

#6 Aug 23, 2007
I grew up in Jamaica and I can tell you this is not true at all. It has no lasting bad effects.

“OWNERS CHOICE = PATRONS CHOICE”

Since: Jun 07

United States

#7 Aug 23, 2007
Amazing,,,,they will ban tobacco (a legal product) but lessen the criminal aspects of pot..an illegal product....

Does anyone else see a problem with our govt. now?
Josef Hlasny

Olomouc, Czech Republic

#8 Aug 31, 2007
I think that marijuana is a serious problem, because according to the science studies it seems that cannabis use can precipitate schizophrenia in vulnerable individuals (alkoholism, undernutrition…), especially. However, there are other studies about the opposite marijuana effect, so scientists say; „One possibility is that there are good guys and bad guys within cannabis… Maybe the cannabidiol ameliorates some of the effects of the THC and maybe it actually might be good for you if you are psychotic“. I would like to show that there can be a "nutritional theory" (different „body calcium status“ in good and bad guys…) about the cause of schizophrenia based on "calcium deficiency". The goal of my comments is to show that cannabis use can be a cause of schizophrenia; characterize two effects on NMDA hypofunction, related to schizophrenia-associated neurodegenerative impairment. See also website www.bse-expert.cz , chapter; Hyperfunction (Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson disease) and hypofunction (schizophrenia) of glutamatergic neurons. See also my opinion- article in Medical News Today
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/youropinions.... .
Justin K

Edmond, OK

#9 Apr 1, 2008
Here's the problem with prohibition, people are not educated enough about drugs. Most everyone takes drugs, it's a fact of life. What needs to be looked at is the side effects that drugs have, because all drugs have good and bad effects. For example, tylenol is perfectly legal and you can buy it at any gas station, but take 15 of the tablets and see if you live to tell about it, you wont live through the experience. In the 5,000 years that marijuana use has been recorded not one person has ever died of an overdose. Most doctors will tell you it's impossible to overdose from marijuana, or if you want exact number they say the user would have to consumer around 3 times their body weight of marijuana. If you weigh 100lbs you would need to smoke 300lbs of marijuana to die...Anyone who has ever seen just one pound of marijuana knows this is impossible. I find it odd, though, that only in the last century has many drugs been made illegal, when drugs have been used for thousands of years and human civilization has not crumbled. Marijuana is probably the safest drug in the world, and if it were legal studies would be objective, like studies done in Holland and Canada. Studies seem to show more benefits of marijuana than harmful qualities. I just think we should have an open mind about this and realize that if someone wants to ingest poison, that is their call. Their life is their responsibilities and their families, no one elses. Plus, the government of the United States of America was created to protect its citizens from enemies, both foreign and domestic, and to protect its citizens civil liberties, or their right to choose. This is my opinion anyway.
Paul

Olympia, WA

#10 Apr 1, 2008
Ah, good. I love it when the sample consists of schizophrenics who smoke pot, followed by concluding that pot causes schizophrenia.
David

Mukwonago, WI

#11 Apr 1, 2008
I looked up the effects of schizophrenia. And It seems to be a very small diagnosis of a mental disorder, a very small one. And as a regular pot smoker myself, I have to say I have felt the effects of this disorder on a occasional basis. But I don't believe it means pot causes this disorder, it might help increase it slightly, especially with the laziness factor, but high or not I believe you can do whatever you put your mind to.
Dimi

UK

#12 Apr 1, 2008
Do all of you know how many famous people, even scientists were smoking marichuana? Do you know that many great discoveries and inventions were resulted because of smoking?
David

Mukwonago, WI

#13 Apr 1, 2008
Yes, Smoke pot it, eases and stimulates the mind, and makes you feel good.

“English, please?”

Since: May 07

London (not that one)

#14 Apr 1, 2008
These results don't surprise me at all. Plus, there's the whole paranoia thing.

As proof that potsmoking causes paranoia, three potheads will now indignantly call me names for having said so. Because I'm out to get them, aren't I?

“English, please?”

London (not that one)

#15 Apr 1, 2008
If you read the article, it specifically says they avoided using people who were already showing signs of schizophrenia.
enough

United States

#16 Apr 1, 2008
AnnaLynn wrote:
These results don't surprise me at all. Plus, there's the whole paranoia thing.
As proof that potsmoking causes paranoia, three potheads will now indignantly call me names for having said so. Because I'm out to get them, aren't I?
That's not the reason people call you names.
Paul

Olympia, WA

#17 Apr 1, 2008
"They said the results mean an estimated 800 cases of schizophrenia in the United Kingdom could be prevented each year by ending marijuana consumption."

Oh, good. Guess how many cases of death we can prevent by ending alcohol consumption? I'll give you a hint: Add a few few more zeroes to 800.

It's great how a couple out-of-context cherry picking allegations come about, and all of a sudden, Reuters, The Associated Press, and FOX News pick up the story and run it as if they discovered that Marijuana is just as bad as alcohol, heroine, cocaine, and just plain anything the FDA approves.
Dan

Morpeth, UK

#18 Apr 2, 2008
fun lovin life wrote:
Amazing,,,,they will ban tobacco (a legal product) but lessen the criminal aspects of pot..an illegal product....
Does anyone else see a problem with our govt. now?
Oh please, our corrupt government treats cannabis like it's the spawn of satan. It aint heroin, cocaine or some other dangerous drug that gets the media attention, it's always that dreaded green little plant. Laughable when you think about it. The drug that has killed the least amount of people ends up being the most demonized by the ignorant

People should stop believing everything the media tells them. The media is just a tool for the governemnt to spread their propaganda.

“English, please?”

London (not that one)

#19 Apr 2, 2008
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>Oh please, our corrupt government treats cannabis like it's the spawn of satan. It aint heroin, cocaine or some other dangerous drug that gets the media attention, it's always that dreaded green little plant. Laughable when you think about it. The drug that has killed the least amount of people ends up being the most demonized by the ignorant
People should stop believing everything the media tells them. The media is just a tool for the governemnt to spread their propaganda.
Lemme guess--you toke.
Dan

Morpeth, UK

#20 Apr 2, 2008
AnnaLynn wrote:
<quoted text>
Lemme guess--you toke.
With pleasure, and i will continue to do so regardless of whether cannabis is illegal or not.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cardiff, United Kingdom Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Revealed: The truth about our best-paid public ... (Feb '14) Aug 22 Anonymous 2
three weeks before the conference starts. Aug 19 Reverend Kevin 2
Nato Summit 2014: Want to avoid the worst of th... Aug 18 words 1
It was too good to last....summer's all but ove... Aug 18 Anne 1
"Idiots" who have "neglected their duty to the ... Aug 16 Robin 1
Casual Dating In Cardiff Jul '14 seekingcougars 3
Should Wales be home to an underground store fo... Jul '14 T nuggets 3
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••