Scot's bid to be bishop fails

May 19, 2011 Full story: Sunday Herald

A Scottish priest lost out for the second time last night in her bid to become the first female bishop in a major church in Britain ...

Full Story

“Ecce! Sic transit gloria mundi”

Since: Oct 10

I See New Jerusalem From Here.

#1 May 19, 2011
Interesting stuff.

From the article:

The Scottish Episcopal Church, part of the Anglican faith, has allowed women to become bishops since 2003, but so far none has been appointed. Mrs Peden, married with three children, was the first to make it that far in 2010.

The Roman Catholic Church does not allow female bishops, nor even female priests. The Church of England has allowed women to be priests since the 1990s, but is still fighting over the issue of female bishops

The post of Bishop of Brechin became vacant last year after the retirement of Dr John Mantle. The candidates for last night’s election were chosen by a committee, and interviewed by the electoral synod before the final vote.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brechin, Scotland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
George Watson (Nov '11) Nov '11 Sheila McIntosh P... 2
Brechin bypass (Jan '10) Jan '10 Brian Walford 1
Animal thefts / disappearance (Jun '09) Jul '09 louise 2
Man charged in starved dog case (May '09) Jun '09 Animal Lover 4
Church endorses gay minister's appointment (May '09) May '09 tomas 1
Gay minister humbled by Kirk's backing (May '09) May '09 look up me Kilt mon 10
Gay minister plays down concerns (May '09) May '09 look up me Kilt mon 1
More from around the web

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:15 pm PST