Residents raise fears over new street...

Residents raise fears over new street lights...

There are 1 comment on the Penarth Times story from Jan 23, 2014, titled Residents raise fears over new street lights.... In it, Penarth Times reports that:

CAMPAIGN: Verline Hewett, Pauline Wheeler, Sue John, David John and Liz Hooper are campaigning against the new street lights LLANDOUGH residents have said new LED street lights replaced on their road mean it's "like going back to Dickensian times".

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Penarth Times.

Simon Nicholas

Bristol, UK

#1 Jan 26, 2014
LED street lights are no more energy efficient that traditional sodium lights - the energy saving comes from the fact that the light output is less. No wonder the poor residents are stumbling around in the dark.

This is nothing but a scandal - and all the PR from the the council needs to be challenged.

Not only are LED lights far more expensive than sodium (negating the energy savings) but in order to match sodium for efficiency they have to emit a large proportion of the light in the blue part of the spectrum.

This is not only highly polluting but has been linked to disruption of sleep patterns, which in turn have been linked to cancer.

Time to call for a ban on these ineffective and highly polluting street lights.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vale of Glamorgan County, Wales Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Drivers in Cardiff face a massive increase in p... Jul 27 crazyDriver 2
News Cycle Event: Velothon Wales will take place on ... May '15 Mike Thomas 1
News Miliband: my first act as PM would be to scrap ... May '15 Trevor 1
News And the Vale of Glamorgan Pub of the Year title... Apr '15 pete smith 1
News Geraint Jarman gets set for album launch at Cha... (Jan '15) Mar '15 wama 2
News Commuters unhappy with Arriva Trains Wales fare... (Jan '15) Jan '15 rich5454 1
News Nurse faked having baby by 'borrowing' friend's... (Dec '14) Dec '14 yep 2
More from around the web