No English? Then no service

Mar 19, 2009 Full story: www.thesun.co.uk 1,087

AN immigrant postmaster has banned customers who can't speak English from his store.

Full Story
First Prev
of 55
Next Last
OpinionsAreLike

San Antonio, TX

#1 Mar 19, 2009
?QUE?
Arminius

Buffalo, NY

#2 Mar 19, 2009
OpinionsAreLike wrote:
?QUE?
No English, no JOB

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“"Eatin' Ain't Cheatin!"”

Since: Sep 06

Thompson's Station, Tn

#3 Mar 19, 2009
Ele e' Correio ou Caralho? As pessoas de Tennessee nao falam ingles mas "do sul". Nuf said, if ye ain't speaking English just go down yonder to the next store wif the horse you rode in on. Yankees! Just varily got my point across.

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#4 Mar 19, 2009
Deseguro se enojan cuando llaman a un lugar y tienen que marcar el numero uno para ingles, o el dos para español. LOL...

“Yes, I do bite!!”

Since: Jun 08

South Florida

#5 Mar 19, 2009
Amo que este sitio no puede filtrar palabras de la maldición en idiomas extranjeros

“MEOW!”

Since: Jun 06

Luton, UK

#6 Mar 19, 2009
This Postmaster is cutting off his own nose in these times of recession. You can't pick and choose your customers - remember the customer is always right!
He may be flying the flag for his adopted country, and this makes a refreshing change,
but if the shopkeepers here, where there has been a revival of their native tongue (Welsh) were to adopt the same attitude, then the shopkeepers would go broke, there are many English living here who do not speak the language.

“If The Shoe Fits”

Since: Feb 08

Medina, Ohio

#7 Mar 19, 2009
I would love to see that here. If you want to be American you speak the American language which is english. Kick the people out that can't speak the language of the land!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
CC Ryder

Warrenville, IL

#8 Mar 19, 2009
Shoe wrote:
I would love to see that here. If you want to be American you speak the American language which is english. Kick the people out that can't speak the language of the land!

Agree

“Only God will judge me”

Since: Dec 07

Chicago, IL

#9 Mar 19, 2009
This is so stupid

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
abeetz

West Haven, CT

#10 Mar 19, 2009
Besa mi culo,cabron!

“MEOW!”

Luton, UK

#11 Mar 19, 2009
Shoe wrote:
With all due respect. English was not ALWAYS the
first language of your country.
MeanandNasty

United States

#12 Mar 19, 2009
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't, but it would be too hard to chose which Native American language to adopt. English was the first universally used language here. There were French, Dutch, German, and British settlers here, then came many other nationalities. Since English was the language they chose to adopt, that's why it should be the language now. The immigrants that came later chose English, even over their native tongues. People can speak what they want at home and among friends, but it should be one universal language outside the home for clarity. Imagine catering to every tongue spoken in the U.S. Directional roadsigns would have to be the size of billboards.

Thompson's Station, Tn

#13 Mar 19, 2009
We speak English in the U.S.? What do you call the language of New York, Mississippi, and California?
shadow

United States

#14 Mar 19, 2009
Mexican Hillbilly wrote:
We speak English in the U.S.? What do you call the language of New York, Mississippi, and California?
we call it brooklyn redneck and paris hilton.

Location hidden

#15 Mar 19, 2009
I don't think he should have dropped his culture completely...no one should think they have to so that to fit in with their new country...when my family came over they didn't lose theirs, it's taken a few generations for that to happen.

I think he's doing a good thing, I wish American store owners would do this!

“If The Shoe Fits”

Medina, Ohio

#16 Mar 19, 2009
eleanorigby wrote:
<quoted text>
Never the less it IS the language of our country now.

“MEOW!”

Luton, UK

#17 Mar 19, 2009
MeanandNasty wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't, but it would be too hard to chose which Native American language to adopt. English was the first universally used language here. There were French, Dutch, German, and British settlers here, then came many other nationalities. Since English was the language they chose to adopt, that's why it should be the language now. The immigrants that came later chose English, even over their native tongues. People can speak what they want at home and among friends, but it should be one universal language outside the home for clarity. Imagine catering to every tongue spoken in the U.S. Directional roadsigns would have to be the size of billboards.
Maybe the tribal language of the area concerned, just a thought!
I worked at telephone sales for a period when I was resident in the USA and many is the time I had to wait while the child of the household translated for their parent, and acted as interpreter.
My son went to school there, and I was very impressed with the fact that they pursued their own religions, if required, outside of school.
There were a few languages flying around in his school even then.

“MEOW!”

Luton, UK

#18 Mar 19, 2009
Shoe wrote:
<quoted text>Never the less it IS the language of our country now.
YEP!

Location hidden

#19 Mar 19, 2009
Shoe wrote:
<quoted text>Never the less it IS the language of our country now.
And has been for a couple hundred years.

Thompson's Station, Tn

#20 Mar 19, 2009
Whenever I travel to a foreign country I at least learn "Please, thank you, yes, no, hello, goodbye, one more beer, and you are beautiful. You can learn this during the flight. Even if your accent is a mile off as long as you are trying people will try to understand and help you. You really don't need much more than the above words anyway.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 55
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nottinghamshire County, England Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nottingham earthquake: Tremor which 'felt like ... Wed Sherwood Forest 1
Nottinghamshire is shaken by an earthquake: 2.6... Wed rOBIN hOOD 1
'Big bang' confirmed as earthquake Tue Pen is player 2
Closure fears: The Polestar Chromoworks plant i... (Mar '13) Oct 28 employee from 2001 2
Waste plant plans next to Gedling Country Park ... Oct 19 terry lock 1
Hucknall man given suspended sentence after eBa... Sep '14 Thejackal 1
NOTTS: Engineering work disruption to local tra... Aug '14 Dennis 1

Nottinghamshire County, England People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE