Speak English, demands postmaster

Mar 18, 2009 Full story: Salisbury Journal 44

A Sri Lankan postmaster is refusing to serve his customers unless they speak English.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“We are MOTORHEAD”

Since: Nov 08

London

#1 Mar 19, 2009
Good on him, We need more people like him in this country and less of the bleeding heart left wing PC retards. If you come to live and work in a country not of your origin then you should be proficient in the language of that country !!!!
Maha Parakrama Bahu

Bloomfield, NJ

#2 Mar 19, 2009
If tamils are in Sri lanka they can speak tamil.

i dont give crack about what tamils speak.
trudeau

Scarborough, Canada

#3 Mar 19, 2009
hear that sinhalese? he is talking abt u fellows. don't speak sinhala, speak english. if u need help, the postmaster will be offering free tuition classes.
maha parakrama bahu, want to go first?
Hiphop

Thornhill, Canada

#4 Mar 19, 2009
trudeau wrote:
hear that sinhalese? he is talking abt u fellows. don't speak sinhala, speak english. if u need help, the postmaster will be offering free tuition classes.
maha parakrama bahu, want to go first?
Alas another Sinhala Patriot who left paradise.
Param

Thornhill, Canada

#5 Mar 19, 2009
Hiphop wrote:
<quoted text>Alas another Sinhala Patriot who left paradise.
Good that he didn't demand Singlish.
Abe

Bronx, NY

#6 Mar 20, 2009
If people don't want to speak English in England, they should be deported.
hillbilly

Marshall, MN

#8 Mar 21, 2009
AMERICA for AMERICANS, SPEAK AND READ ENGLISH, DONíT TRY TO BAND PORK FROM OUR DINER TABLE, YOU WORESHIP A COW YOU WAY AND I WILL MY WAY WITH CHEESE IF YOU PLEASE!

Since: Feb 08

Hereford, UK

#9 Mar 22, 2009
hillbilly wrote:
AMERICA for AMERICANS, SPEAK AND READ ENGLISH, DONíT TRY TO BAND PORK FROM OUR DINER TABLE, YOU WORESHIP A COW YOU WAY AND I WILL MY WAY WITH CHEESE IF YOU PLEASE!
Hillbilly by name and by nature! Hillbilly = ignoramus.
Pat Mafudd

Lichfield, UK

#11 Mar 22, 2009
Svarog wrote:
<quoted text>
When idiotic English law prohibiting Roman-Catholics from holding kingship brought German ancestor of the current queen (Elisabeth of Braunschweig aka Windsor) from Germany, they knew NOT A SINGLE word of English.
Clown

“A different view”

Since: Sep 08

West Riding

#13 Mar 22, 2009
Svarog wrote:
Ah, so you find historic facts funny.
I guess it's just your IQ.
They are in the main, no longer relevant.
If they were, how far back does one go? as anyone can find a period that supports their own point of view. How about going back to Pagan times and eradicating Christanity and all its evil offshoots? that will do nicely.
Pat Mafudd

Lichfield, UK

#14 Mar 22, 2009
Svarog wrote:
Ah, so you find historic facts funny.
I guess it's just your IQ.
I don't find historical facts funny per se. I find your remarks funny.

When idiotic English law.
What do you know about laws of England that you have the temerity to call them idiotic?

prohibiting Roman-Catholics
Basically to prevent monarchs being dictated to by a catholic oppressor. Here in Britain we consider ourselves free democrats. Maybe you should study your historical facts about Britain with a bit less bias.

from holding kingship
Don't you mean Monarchy. I can't see how a Queen can become a King at least not in Britain. God knows what the europeans get up to.

brought German ancestor of the current queen (Elisabeth of Braunschweig aka Windsor)
A.K.A Caroline

from Germany, they knew NOT A SINGLE word of English.
And your point is what exactly? For Centuries Princes and Princesses throughout european royalty have married into each others families without speaking the language of that country.

I think your highlight of NOT A SINGLE word of English is not true. For a european member of royalty not to know A SINGLE WORD of another european language is stretching credibility to the extreme.

All this is irrelevant as my IQ is lower than my shoe size.

Since: Feb 09

Jamestown, KY

#15 Mar 22, 2009
Hurrah for the Postmaster! If you don't learn the language of my land- starve or die, I don't care which.

“And what's YOUR problem?”

Since: May 07

Country life - USA

#16 Mar 23, 2009
I do the same thing.

Every year I have a huge annual barn sale. I post a sign "English Speaking Only".

If they come even with English speaking children, fine. But how is one expected to deal with someone they can not converse with?

Besides, I've noticed shoplifting has fallen greatly by doing this.
overtaxed

Orlando, FL

#17 Mar 23, 2009
It is tragic that this sensible guy was forced to quit his job.
I guess the British have become Politically Correct wussies like we are here.

Since: Mar 09

Calgary, AB

#18 Mar 23, 2009
You should be able to communicate in the language of the Country you wish to live in BEFORE you move there.
Big Tony

Basking Ridge, NJ

#19 Mar 23, 2009
Ghust wrote:
You should be able to communicate in the language of the Country you wish to live in BEFORE you move there.
Bro I'm down with that!

If people don't want to speak English I don't know why they want to live in Britain.

We have the same problem somewhat here in the states.
conservative

Dawsonville, GA

#21 Mar 24, 2009
As Teddy Rosevelt once said " Persons immigrating to the United States should learn the English language within (5) years or leave the country. Sounds more than resonable to be, by (4) years 364 and a half days. Prime example emergency services are called to a location, but the caller no habla. The ambulance goes to the wrong address the victim dies and the illegals sue the city and win. If that ain't the most f--ked up s--t I don't know what is. Moral SPEAK THE LANGUAGE!!
Dave77

Stockholm, NJ

#22 Mar 24, 2009
Good for him! See, when you fight "Political Correctness" and speak your mind then the liberal idiots have no ammunition against you.

“BSL is BS!”

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#23 Mar 24, 2009
hillbilly wrote:
What? You don't even have a firm grasp of the English language yourself and you are saying 'speak and read English?'

Anyways, I tend to agree with the people who think if you live and work in this country you should speak English. When you go to another country (and I don't mean as a tourist/visitor) the people of that country get very frustrated when you don't speak that language...UNLESS they are trying to cheat you out of money to buy some crappy souvenir they are selling.
Prime example of this...My husband and I were in Mexico and he wanted to buy a tacky sombrero. My husband is Colombian and his first language is Spanish. The two guys were conversing back and forth in Spanish joking that they would be able to sell my husband and I a 5 dollar sombrero for 75 dollars. When the two were done talking my husband told them in Spanish after hearing their conversation the most he would pay was 5 dollars. They had the audacity to be shocked and told him they would not sell him anything. Stupid people...

Since: Feb 08

London, UK

#24 Mar 24, 2009
conservative wrote:
As Teddy Rosevelt once said " Persons immigrating to the United States should learn the English language within (5) years or leave the country. Sounds more than resonable to be, by (4) years 364 and a half days. Prime example emergency services are called to a location, but the caller no habla. The ambulance goes to the wrong address the victim dies and the illegals sue the city and win. If that ain't the most f--ked up s--t I don't know what is. Moral SPEAK THE LANGUAGE!!
Why then did not all those immigrants to America take the trouble to learn the many languages of the original native peoples? You should really have practiced what you now preach!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nottinghamshire County, England Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Campaign to save Doncaster wood linked to Robin... Fri James 1
A mother has pleaded for rules on allergy label... Dec 12 Reality Check 1
UKIP's Nigel Farage says party can oust Ed Mili... Nov 24 James 5
Worksop area primary joing new global teaching ... Nov '14 Erin 1
Disgraced ex-Hucknall cop jailed for sexually a... Nov '14 Erin 1
Mansfield man died of heroin overdose at proper... Nov '14 Erin 1
Young girl's hearing 'damaged' when policeman... Nov '14 Erin 1
More from around the web