Hindu wins right to traditional cremation

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Telegraph.co.uk

A Hindu spiritual healer has won the right to be cremated on a traditional funeral pyre, paving the way for thousands of fellow Hindus to follow suit.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 56 of56
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Nov 08

Cologne- Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2010

Baabs wrote:
Decency and decorum may be relative concepts, but culture, like intelligence, must keep rising as far as it can reach.
Let me pay my respects for your views
Would you mind to explain this.

Accept my Namaskars in advance.
Baabs

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2010

When we define decency and decorum we will be in a better position to know how certain behaviors apply to decency and decorum.

I learned in one of my anthropology classes that in one of the islands of the East Indies, it is customary for older men to felate the youths upon their reaching puberty. Yet that is considered abhorrent in some countries.

Also in one of those same islands, it is high society to give away all wealth and start all over agian.
Baabs

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2010

Rites of passages are also relative, and we have them everywhere.

Cologne- Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2010

my definition of
decency is NON VOILENCE
Decorum= accept the culture as it is try not to shape the whole globe according to your ideal thoughts.
I am not a religious guru nor a patriotic indian God.
Thanks to the hoary past i am able to type some OXBRIDGE EnGliBUSH
Baabs

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2010

Some may call any deliberate and planned killing violence. Some interpret the commandment Thou shall not kill, to mean not to kil animals for food.

As I always say some of the problems are centered around interpretation. Jesus said to speard the good news, yet many interpret it as meaning by any means and the end justifies the means with aggessive and deceptive proselytizing.
Baabs

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2010

Blood, fire, hell and the cross are all concepts that spread fear in the hearts of men.

God is love and love is God. Why fear when I am immediate and available in each heart.
Will

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Baabs wrote:
In some countries where Diaspora Hindus live, the wood pyre is set up as an art form some hours before the dead is placed on it, and it is lit by the appropriate family member.
Preparing the body before it is placed in the coffin for disposal involves bathing and dressing the body in the finest clothing with much paraphernalia involving incense, ghee, sandal wood, tulsi sticks, camphor, perfume, grass, etc.
A piece of gold is placed on the mouth of the deceased as well as a block of camphor for lighting the body. Some immediate family members may place gifts in the coffin to symbolize their love in the disposal process.
Prior to cremation, the body may be viewed at the home or at the funeral parlor, when viewing during prayers and chanting of mantras are done.
Many ceremonial rituals are observed with reverence from the day of death to the final disposal of the remains.
The cremation is done with great dignity. Most of the mourners remain until the entire body is burnt to ashes, and the fire extinguished.
The next day the ashes are gathered, and disposed of in accord with prior expressed wishes.
The immediate participants performing the ceremonies are dressed in white dhotis and kurtas, and their heads are all clean shaven.
The whole affair is intensely witnessed by all, as the body is ceremonially and symbolically sent back to the five elements from where it originated.
Each of the five elements is invoked and each element of the body is offered back to its origin. The body is lowered five times and placed on the ground in the coffin as each of the five elements is offered back during the procession to the pyre or crematory.
Chanting of the mantra, Om Namah Shivaya or other mantras, can be heard in unison until the body reaches the final place for the lighting of the special lamp used in the final lighting of the camphor in the coffin on the pyre.
After the body is fully prepared for cremating, five members of the immediate family circumambulate the pyre five times with the dead on it; one of them lights the camphor on the mouth of the deceased in the open coffin.
In cremation involving electricity, the same preparations are made with the same rituals without exception, and the appropriate family member turns on the electric switch for the burning to begin. That is the only difference, although in some crematorium, they may allow the camphor to be lit and the coffin closed immediately in order to place the coffin in the crematory.
You see? Definitely a job for the professionals
Mr Giblets

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Baabs wrote:
Blood, fire, hell and the cross are all concepts that spread fear in the hearts of men.
God is love and love is God. Why fear when I am immediate and available in each heart.
the Inquisition is making a comeback, so just watch it.

Cologne- Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

As a Hindu-born Athiest in Chennai- i have no sympathy for those to seek the judicial judgment for the cremation of the dead bodies.

India is ready to take all those spiritual and emotional indians who had left their countries and died in a far away land.

Gandhi's ashes were immersed not in india but in south africa.
i have respect for those indians
Baabs

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

No Earth can bury me for I am the deity in the Earth. No Water can drown me for I am the deity in Water. No Fire can burn me for I am the deity in Fire. No Wind can blow me away for I am the deity in Wind. No Ether can silence me for I am the deity in Sound. My life is the Oneness of all the deities in the five elements that originated from the Divya Swaroopa of Brahman called Krishna/Shiva.

Cologne- Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2010

Satyam Sivam Gatchami.
Saranam Ayyappa
Namaskar
Nandree
howie

Liverpool, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2011

its a good idea to burn them save the country time and money could even do 2 at a time. save matches burn with a friend.
observer

Edmonton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2011

You won your rights.

When will the rights of these people be respected?

Aussie TV: Interview with a Shugden Nun
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Swiss Public TV:

Protest against religious persecution

(in USA) http://www.youtube.com/watch...

(in Germany) http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Protest on Dalai Lama for banning Dorje Shugden – Nottingham

Anti Dalai Lama Demo Nürnberg Germany 18.05.08
howie

Northampton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

i agree let them burn there dead its there culture but dont you agree its not the laws of our land they should respect british law
Val Hooligan

Oldbury, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Krypteia wrote:
Brilliant idea have a few burgers,sausages,chicken at the same time cuts down costs on a wake..
the only problem is, they gave him permission to be cremated while he is still alive

Cologne- Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Most of the intellectuals cremated in this forum the views by killing the messenger.
In my long walk in Internet forum I seldom have the chance to change my critical observations...
By long walk i mean more than 10 years

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 56 of56
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Northumberland County, England Discussions

Search the Northumberland County, England Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Toothache 'led to scallop dredger tragedy' Jun 20 anonymous 1
Magdalen couple boost cancer care with charity ... Apr '14 Judy Bobbins 2
Stunning And Amazing: Northern Lights Wow U.K. Apr '14 Sky High Energy 2
Web developer issues seller policy advice Mar '14 Philip Cohen 1
Winter vomiting bug warning Jan '14 John Berwick 1
North Shields couple count the cost of flooding... (Dec '13) Dec '13 francis 1
Ashington police promise disorder crackdown (Aug '13) Oct '13 geordieandy 2
•••
•••