Hindu wins right to traditional cremation

There are 20 comments on the Feb 10, 2010, Telegraph.co.uk story titled Hindu wins right to traditional cremation. In it, Telegraph.co.uk reports that:

A Hindu spiritual healer has won the right to be cremated on a traditional funeral pyre, paving the way for thousands of fellow Hindus to follow suit.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Telegraph.co.uk.

“the truth will set you free.”

Since: Feb 10

London

#22 Feb 12, 2010
Mr Giblets wrote:
<quoted text>why is it obvious? and I hope they don't throw the leftover bits in the Thames, as they have made the Ganges an open sewer, with bits of corpses and dead sheep, etc. I suppose Ealing Common or Southall Park are "non-residential". What's wrong with a crematorium?
#

its obvious because no one wants to smell burning corpses you imbecile. and the reason i call you imbecile is because if you think they would allow bio hazardous material to go floating down the Thames. then you are an imbecile of the highest order.whats wrong with a crematorium? what wrong with being buried? oh yes.. it;'s a choice. now go f yourself as you're obviously a troll but have no idea how to do it .

Since: Nov 08

Cologne- Germany

#23 Feb 12, 2010
Comrades
Let me get a clear , candid convincing counter-argument about my critical views.
In Germany where i live, there was a rich jew who was a member of FDP- a liberal party.
He had lost all his friends and relatives because of the barbaric war.
He had started his new life in Germany and died here .
He had written a request that after his death his body should be transported to Israel.
The German government had ful filled his last wish.
Now Those indians who wish to have a HINDU RITUALS to cremate or bury ccording to their righ veda or Yajurveda should follow the German jew.

As an aindia i feel ashamed that some non resident Indians are making much ado about nothing.
I am an Athiest and my ashes will be put into the dustbin.

London

#24 Feb 12, 2010
Ramafuchs wrote:
Comrades
Let me get a clear , candid convincing counter-argument about my critical views.
In Germany where i live, there was a rich jew who was a member of FDP- a liberal party.
He had lost all his friends and relatives because of the barbaric war.
He had started his new life in Germany and died here .
He had written a request that after his death his body should be transported to Israel.
The German government had ful filled his last wish.
Now Those indians who wish to have a HINDU RITUALS to cremate or bury ccording to their righ veda or Yajurveda should follow the German jew.
As an aindia i feel ashamed that some non resident Indians are making much ado about nothing.
I am an Athiest and my ashes will be put into the dustbin.
My nazi friend, why feel ashamed about what others want and do. this gentlemen has asked for clarification and got it. if an enterprising businessman wishes to open an open air crematorium that their business.

His wishes on how his remains are buried are as much as your concern as to what other peoples religion are. it doesn't effect you , why get your knickers in a twist over nothing? do you get upset with other when they say they wishes to be buried in the ground or at sea, or have their organs doanted or cyrogenically frozen or be buried with a coffin or without a coffin to be enviromentally friendly or be cremated or to have thier remains stuffed in a pillow or theown in the dustbin.

its a mountain out of a molehill.

Cologne- Germany

#25 Feb 12, 2010
Comrade human target
I am not making much noise about asnything.
I had objected right from the start that the guy who I presume is an indian origin wish to start a subject about the judicial system.

Kindly peruse my spontaneious respone above..
For your kind information I am a happy contended Athiest without any religious attachment or affliation.
Thanks
Ramafuchs

London

#26 Feb 12, 2010
Ramafuchs wrote:
Comrade human target
I am not making much noise about asnything.
I had objected right from the start that the guy who I presume is an indian origin wish to start a subject about the judicial system.
Kindly peruse my spontaneious respone above..
For your kind information I am a happy contended Athiest without any religious attachment or affliation.
Thanks
Ramafuchs
god will forgive your sins. you may however be reincarnated as a little monkey.

London

#27 Feb 12, 2010
Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Only Christ Jesus can save the soul from the fires of hell, not man made religions or vain philosophies! And the only purifier is faith in the finished work of Christ Jesus upon the Cross through the shedding of His Blood alone.
I disagres. adn my soul get reincarnated. but thanks for playing. I shall pray for your enlightenment.
INDIAN

Santa Clara, CA

#28 Feb 13, 2010
peace wrote:
Pavakah (fire) the final purifier.... it will purify the body and burn all this collection of dust and matter back to dust. I think more important is the purification of your Karma. This will save your soul from the fire of hell which is 1000times more ugly than this fire. It will purify your soul then. So look well to you life and your karma - so I think you need not to worry. It will bless you right here and hereafter. Then don't matter, what they do with this body, coz the soul is free now.....
THE GOD would awards hindu of two kinds.
first award they get themselves to burn death bodies in world or we can say it is a demo of the fire of the hell and second award for going to the hell will be given by THE GOD after day of judgement surly.
but HINDU DEAD children before young who buried will be sent to the heaven without accounting.
Mr Giblets

UK

#29 Feb 13, 2010
human target wrote:
<quoted text>#
its obvious because no one wants to smell burning corpses you imbecile. and the reason i call you imbecile is because if you think they would allow bio hazardous material to go floating down the Thames. then you are an imbecile of the highest order.whats wrong with a crematorium? what wrong with being buried? oh yes.. it;'s a choice. now go f yourself as you're obviously a troll but have no idea how to do it .
well, the hindus burning their dead in open air WILL smell the burning corpses. Where will they go? the middle of Exmoor? It is a choice between a crematorium and burial, we shouldn't give in to unhygienic and rather primitive practices like this.

London

#30 Feb 13, 2010
Mr Giblets wrote:
<quoted text>well, the hindus burning their dead in open air WILL smell the burning corpses. Where will they go? the middle of Exmoor? It is a choice between a crematorium and burial, we shouldn't give in to unhygienic and rather primitive practices like this.
let's read the article again shall we?

"The appeal judges said that the aims of the Cremation Act were to ensure that cremations were subject to uniform rules throughout the country and carried out in buildings which were appropriately equipped and away from homes or roads."

"Mr Ghai, from Gosforth, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, who is the founder of the Anglo-Asian Friendship Society (AAFS), wants a permit for an open-air cremation site in a remote part of Northumberland."

"A spokesman for Newcastle City Council said that whilst the Appeal Court’s ruling sided with Mr Ghai, it had not considered the “difficulties which may be thrown up by planning and public health legislation should an application be submitted”.
He said burning remains on a wood fire in a traditional pyre is not covered by any regulations, which currently only apply to cremators powered by gas or electricity and which are designed to maintain environmental standards, in particular air quality."
Baabs

Pompano Beach, FL

#31 Feb 13, 2010
All customs have to rise to the level of high culture and not remain as just conveniences.

Many Hindu customs have taken on more significance as high culture, and yet many are still rising to that level.

Fifteen hundred years of chronic and deliberate attempts to uproot Hindu culture and or suffocate it can be cited as one of the reasons for neglect in some areas.

The base of some areas of Hindu culture may need closer study and elevation to other levels of high culture.

Indian culture may still have the opportunity to evolve to higher levels, but the fact of disruptions about fifteen hundred years must not be overlooked in cultural arrests at lower levels.

Hindus themselves would lift the culture of cremating their dead to new levels of refined culture.

Don't worry, the Hindus of India only recovered from the yoke of subjugation about sixty years ago, and were forced to give priority to more important areas of development.

Just imagine after fifteen hundred years of foreign rule, Indians were left without universal primary education.

Even the industrial revolution was overlooked by the foreign masters when the same masters were in high gear taking from India to bring the weight of industrialization to their own home countries.
Will

Broxbourne, UK

#32 Feb 14, 2010
Hurrah indeed! A triumph for peronal liberty. The nanny state concedes that it cannot deny somebody their last dying wish on the grounds that an open cremation does'nt suit our modernised & 'enlightened' Western sensibilities.
That said though, would it not have been a whole lot cheaper and easier for the gentleman in question to be cremated in India? I believe that this is standard practice for Hindus living in parts of the world where open cremations are prohibited, unlike India where they have been going on for Millenia.
Furthermore I expect that, having had plenty of practice, the funeral directors in India will probably be able to do it much better and cheaper than in the UK.
Still always got big respect for a man who wins an argument, especially such a pointless one!
Mr Giblets

Haverfordwest, UK

#33 Feb 14, 2010
human target wrote:
<quoted text>
let's read the article again shall we?
"The appeal judges said that the aims of the Cremation Act were to ensure that cremations were subject to uniform rules throughout the country and carried out in buildings which were appropriately equipped and away from homes or roads."
"Mr Ghai, from Gosforth, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, who is the founder of the Anglo-Asian Friendship Society (AAFS), wants a permit for an open-air cremation site in a remote part of Northumberland."
"A spokesman for Newcastle City Council said that whilst the Appeal Court’s ruling sided with Mr Ghai, it had not considered the “difficulties which may be thrown up by planning and public health legislation should an application be submitted”.
He said burning remains on a wood fire in a traditional pyre is not covered by any regulations, which currently only apply to cremators powered by gas or electricity and which are designed to maintain environmental standards, in particular air quality."
how about your back garden? That will do nicely.
Baabs

Pompano Beach, FL

#34 Feb 14, 2010
In some countries where Diaspora Hindus live, the wood pyre is set up as an art form some hours before the dead is placed on it, and it is lit by the appropriate family member.

Preparing the body before it is placed in the coffin for disposal involves bathing and dressing the body in the finest clothing with much paraphernalia involving incense, ghee, sandal wood, tulsi sticks, camphor, perfume, grass, etc.

A piece of gold is placed on the mouth of the deceased as well as a block of camphor for lighting the body. Some immediate family members may place gifts in the coffin to symbolize their love in the disposal process.

Prior to cremation, the body may be viewed at the home or at the funeral parlor, when viewing during prayers and chanting of mantras are done.

Many ceremonial rituals are observed with reverence from the day of death to the final disposal of the remains.

The cremation is done with great dignity. Most of the mourners remain until the entire body is burnt to ashes, and the fire extinguished.

The next day the ashes are gathered, and disposed of in accord with prior expressed wishes.

The immediate participants performing the ceremonies are dressed in white dhotis and kurtas, and their heads are all clean shaven.

The whole affair is intensely witnessed by all, as the body is ceremonially and symbolically sent back to the five elements from where it originated.

Each of the five elements is invoked and each element of the body is offered back to its origin. The body is lowered five times and placed on the ground in the coffin as each of the five elements is offered back during the procession to the pyre or crematory.

Chanting of the mantra, Om Namah Shivaya or other mantras, can be heard in unison until the body reaches the final place for the lighting of the special lamp used in the final lighting of the camphor in the coffin on the pyre.

After the body is fully prepared for cremating, five members of the immediate family circumambulate the pyre five times with the dead on it; one of them lights the camphor on the mouth of the deceased in the open coffin.

In cremation involving electricity, the same preparations are made with the same rituals without exception, and the appropriate family member turns on the electric switch for the burning to begin. That is the only difference, although in some crematorium, they may allow the camphor to be lit and the coffin closed immediately in order to place the coffin in the crematory.

Cologne- Germany

#35 Feb 14, 2010
Only religious fanatics will uphold
Rig veda
yajurveda
Ramayana
mahabhratha

And most of the indians are religious people.
Most but not all.

Cologne- Germany

#36 Feb 14, 2010
Any one who is shy of hair-dresser( Barber) is a guru or bhgwan or spiritual intellectual in India.
But if you ask to translate this sentense
" Nari pathiya vilasathi"
they seek some hiding place ro refurbish their hindu culture.
Mr Giblets

Birmingham, UK

#37 Feb 14, 2010
a wood fire won't burn a corpse to ashes. Only a forced furnace like a proper crematorium will do that.
Baabs

Pompano Beach, FL

#38 Feb 14, 2010
Not according to what I have seen.

Cologne- Germany

#39 Feb 14, 2010
I was born in India and i live in Germany.
But i have my own observations about Hiduthvas who are branded as Non resident Indians( NRI) i have much respect for all the human beings irrespective of their political, ethical, emotional, cultural affliations.

I respect those humans who uphold
Decency
Decorum.
Baabs

Pompano Beach, FL

#40 Feb 14, 2010
Decency and decorum may be relative concepts, but culture, like intelligence, must keep rising as far as it can reach.

London

#41 Feb 14, 2010
Mr Giblets wrote:
<quoted text>how about your back garden? That will do nicely.
my homes is not in a remote part of Northumberland nor away from other homes or roads.

I have explained this to you several times but you seem to not understand. Do you have learning disabilities?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Durham County, England Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Historic railway workers' banner coming home Feb '15 railwaygirl 1
News Man pleads guilty to carrying out illegal teeth... Feb '15 Bryan-Christie 1
News A 1910s Toronto photo extravaganza Jan '15 John 1
News Mayor of Bishop Auckland defects from Labour to... Jan '15 AlanJBreeze 1
News Two brothers charged with murder after man'... (Feb '12) Jan '15 Sucker 20
News Two-legged pup mistaken for kangaroo Jan '15 Kkwright 2
News Jordan Winn was sentenced at Durham Crown Court Nov '14 furqan 1
More from around the web