Bishops back Christian B&B owners on eve of legal action from gay pair

Dec 11, 2010 Full story: Telegraph.co.uk 11

Peter and Hazelmary Bull are facing a civil court claim for 5,000 which hinges on an allegation that they discriminated against Martyn Hall and his civil partner, Steven Preddy, from Bristol, on grounds of their sexual orientation.

Full Story
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#1 Dec 11, 2010
I think if you're going to operate a business that serves the public, you have to serve ALL of the public, and not pick and choose who you want to serve.

For instance, a restaurant can't refuse to serve black people or Jewish people.

And a shoe store can't refuse to sell shoes to a Muslim woman.

If you want to discriminate against people and operate a business, then operate a business that doesn't serve the general public.
SPEEDIEG

Atlanta, GA

#3 Dec 11, 2010
Well legally here in the US except in a few major cities it is legal to refuse to rent a hotel room, or serve anyone who is GLBT.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#4 Dec 11, 2010
I reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason ... or no reason at all.
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#5 Dec 11, 2010
snyper wrote:
I reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason ... or no reason at all.
That is usually not legal. Don't you rememebr the sit-ins in the South by black Americans who were refused food service ? Is that moral ? Is that what you want to return to ?

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Tappahannock, VA

#6 Dec 11, 2010
snyper wrote:
I reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason ... or no reason at all.
You could easily face a civil suit if you were stupid enough to state your objection to a particular person stems from protected characteristic of theirs.

When you say, "any reason," it appears your understanding of the law is deficient. Some "reasons" are okay as a basis to deny service, some aren't.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#7 Dec 11, 2010
SPEEDIEG wrote:
Well legally here in the US except in a few major cities it is legal to refuse to rent a hotel room, or serve anyone who is GLBT.
In the same manner blacks were refused service at businesses and restaurants and they say the U.S. has changed, not really, just a different minority being discriminated against this time around. And some blacks say gays were not discriminated against like them? Yeah right! And there were laws on books in the 1940s saying a bar owner had to refuse service to homosexuals according to what I've read. And that was an era where blacks were discriminated against too. If gays were openly gay back in the early 20th century their fate may have been the same, if not worse than those of African-Americans.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#8 Dec 11, 2010
Frank Stanton wrote:
I think if you're going to operate a business that serves the public, you have to serve ALL of the public, and not pick and choose who you want to serve.
For instance, a restaurant can't refuse to serve black people or Jewish people.
And a shoe store can't refuse to sell shoes to a Muslim woman.
If you want to discriminate against people and operate a business, then operate a business that doesn't serve the general public.
But they CAN refuse service to gays and trans because we are not protected legally and until laws change we are are screwed and at the mercy of whether a straight person or persons approves or disapproves of our sexual orientation and/or gender identity. If a gay person refused service to a straight person that would be considered a different story to society. The gays are the blacks and the straights are the whites if you want to make an analogy. I know I'll get hell for making the comparison of one minority to another but I have no regrets for saying that things I've said and I'll never be sorry for saying them. I'm not dising what blacks went through by any means. Civil rights are civil rights and the word belongs to all those fighting for them.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#9 Dec 11, 2010
Duh, if it is your home and you want to restrict other people's behaviour in matters not involving vandalism, distubing the peace, or property damage, then why are you opening it up as a B&B?
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#10 Dec 11, 2010
JohnInToronto wrote:
Duh, if it is your home and you want to restrict other people's behaviour in matters not involving vandalism, distubing the peace, or property damage, then why are you opening it up as a B&B?
Speaking of a B&B, excuse me but it reminded me of something funny. Did any of you see "Borat" ?

LOL
Miss_Conspiracy

United States

#11 Dec 12, 2010
The more law suits there are against bigots the easier it will be yo bring national attention to these kind of people. I work in the public area and I would get fired let alone sued if I denied someone to borrow a book from the library. These people should be no exemption.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#12 Dec 12, 2010
I'd do it anyway. But that's just me ... and I'm not even "libertarian". lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cornwall and Isles of Scilly County, England Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man accused of murdering 11-month-old son in Bo... (Jun '13) Jul '14 anonymous 173
What is New? May '14 Yeshi Gemaneh 1
Wing walker's emotional tribute to Stephen Sutton May '14 Richard Smith 1
NEWLast minute holiday deals: Scilly Isles, Mon... Apr '14 Justine Unsigned in 1
'Breach of Trust': Jacqueline Crane, from St Au... Mar '14 Rambo 1
Trust hit by severe coastal damage (Feb '14) Feb '14 other views 1
CGGayle published Developers behind rejected Co... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Lynn Allen 1
•••

Cornwall and Isles of Scilly County, England People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••