Hotel owners 'set up' by gay couple who sued

Dec 13, 2010 Full story: Berwick Today 21

A gay couple suing the Christian owners of a seaside hotel in Cornwall may have booked a double room as a "set-up", a court has heard.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
outtaPville

Philadelphia, PA

#21 Jan 26, 2011
Urban_Tribe wrote:
<quoted text>
Here in the USA as the owner or any employee of a business can refuse service to anyone.. Walk in any gay bar in the UAS and there will be a sign that say we reserve the right to refuse service to ANYONE.. Why should that be any different for gay people? If a chrsiten came to a gay bar and handed of flyers about GOD and being gay is a sin you can bet you bippy they would be refused service and ask to leave..... My point is why did they pick this place? I have been to Cornwall and there are a crap ton of B&B's other then to get kicked out why did they book this place?
Although I'm not sure I support Urban Tribe, I do have to agree with his claim that, "...the owner or any employee...can refuse service to anyone." I don't think he is espousing bigotry of any sort as he is stating a very true fact of life in the US. Mostly I've noticed signs reading, "NO SHIRT NO SHOES NO SERVICE". It wasn't too long ago that the US practiced segregation with signs specifying where blacks or whites could enter, sit, eat, drink and live. I might be wrong, but I suspect South Africa at one time also posted similar signs and possibly Australia concerning its native people. The point being is that any purveyor in the US reserves the right to refuse business. An interesting side note is that after the Iraqi invasion, many Americans touring overseas were refused services of all sorts even having paid reservations arbitrarily cancelled (as I'm sure the British were also). For reasons defying logic, the US chain restaurant Crackle Barrel refuses to hire gay individuals, but has no problem in serving same sex couples. Best to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cornwall and Isles of Scilly County, England Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man sent 'grossly offensive' cards smeared with... Dec 6 Just a guy 36
Man accused of murdering 11-month-old son in Bo... (Jun '13) Jul '14 anonymous 173
What is New? (May '14) May '14 Yeshi Gemaneh 1
Wing walker's emotional tribute to Stephen Sutton (May '14) May '14 Richard Smith 1
NEWLast minute holiday deals: Scilly Isles, Mon... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Justine Unsigned in 1
'Breach of Trust': Jacqueline Crane, from St Au... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Rambo 1
Trust hit by severe coastal damage (Feb '14) Feb '14 other views 1
More from around the web