Ukraine holds Chinese langauge contest

Ukraine holds Chinese langauge contest

There are 3 comments on the Xinhuanet story from May 9, 2009, titled Ukraine holds Chinese langauge contest. In it, Xinhuanet reports that:

Ukrainian girl Lera, who is a senior student at the Lugansk University, beat all the other seven competitors from the country's renowned universities in a Chinese language contest here on Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Xinhuanet.

Maksim

New York, NY

#1 May 10, 2009
Many ukrainan's made friends in China during the Bejing Olympics. And with internet it's easier then ever to keep in touch with friends abroad.

Also, in a couple of years Chinese will be touristing the world in droves in search of culture and visiting a the only "former communist" country which became a democracy and allows true freedom of speech could be quite attractive to them, especially if Ukraine is able to offer tourist guides fluent in Chinese.
Dr Lecter

Hamilton, Canada

#2 May 13, 2009
Maksim wrote:
Many ukrainan's made friends in China during the Bejing Olympics. And with internet it's easier then ever to keep in touch with friends abroad.
Also, in a couple of years Chinese will be touristing the world in droves in search of culture and visiting a the only "former communist" country which became a democracy and allows true freedom of speech could be quite attractive to them, especially if Ukraine is able to offer tourist guides fluent in Chinese.
Many years ago I met a number of Chinese academicians from Harbin that spoke fluent Ukrainian --which amazed me considering that some monolingual Russophones have an issue with learning Ukrainian.

I'm glad contests like this are held.

Ukrainians need to learn Chinese, and as many other languages as possible.

I'm sure there is a good game show that can spin off from this.
Stefan

Peterborough, Canada

#3 May 14, 2009
Anything that helps develop a separate identity for Ukraine is good.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shevchenko, Ukraine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sept. 7 will now be Ukrainian-Canadian Heritage... Nov 16 CANADA LOVES UKRAINE 16
News Neighboring Russia Central Asia States "Try to ... (Jun '06) Feb '16 Tm Clm 98
News Diplomatica: New ambassador from the Ukraine wa... (Dec '15) Dec '15 George 2
News Human rights groups team up to oppose Canada se... (Nov '15) Nov '15 no Trudeau do not... 2
News Why "the Ukrainians" Lie- Prof. A. Moytl Says t... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Zeppelin 1
News The Story of Ukraine Through Its Many Monuments (Jul '15) Jul '15 Cassandra_ 1
News Ukraine hits 'dead end' as lasting peace deal e... (Apr '15) Jun '15 Zeppelin 64
More from around the web