The View, Whoopi Goldberg Vs Elisabet...

The View, Whoopi Goldberg Vs Elisabeth Hasselbeck: 'The N Word' Video

There are 95 comments on the www.postchronicle.com story from Jul 17, 2008, titled The View, Whoopi Goldberg Vs Elisabeth Hasselbeck: 'The N Word' Video. In it, www.postchronicle.com reports that:

It was an emotional episode of The View this morning when Jesse Jackson's use of "the n word" was discussed - which led to the discussion of the word itself.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.postchronicle.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Andy

Holt, MI

#1 Jul 18, 2008
Can't have it both ways. Either we all say the "N" word or we all don't.
Elizabeth and Whoppi are both freek shows in their own ways -- one rich and black and one rich and white -- no difference. What the hell does Whoppi know about being black hasn't she always Fu<ked white guys.

“Texas Rocks!!”

Since: Mar 07

Texas

#2 Jul 18, 2008
Andy wrote:
Elizabeth and Whoppi are both freek shows in their own ways -- one rich and black and one rich and white -- no difference. What the hell does Whoppi know about being black hasn't she always Fu<ked white guys.
whoopi wasn't always rich. as for fooking defining race lmao get real i'm white no matter who i fook, it doesn't rub off... in either direction.
Dawb

Elmendorf Afb, AK

#3 Jul 18, 2008
Andy is right - can't have it both ways.
Will there be a test kit to determine if one has the proper amount of 'black' blood to use the 'N' word? I am disappointed at Whoopi -I thought she was a human being that respected other human beings. Not a "N" that deserves special privileges because of the color of her skin.
No more The View, and not purchasing sponsors products either if The Whoops is not reprimanded.
Fred

Los Angeles, CA

#5 Jul 18, 2008
I used to think highly of Whoopie. Her argument that only black people should be able to use this word is simply not feasable for so many reasons:

1. Just how black does one have to be? Obama can probably use it, he is half black. What is the cutoff for black genotype (maybe 1/32????).[To stretch that one step further, since we all evolved from early africans, dont we all have the genotype at some level?]

2. So then each culture should only be allowed to use the corresponding derogatory term (Sp*c for latino, Cracker for white, Ch*nk for asian, etc)

3. The hurtful feelings run too deep for this word (and others above) to be used so casually that they are bound to be inadvertently repeated by the "wrong" group (which I am not sure I understand, as per #1).

Whoopie - I had a ton of respect for you that is now lost.
JB
(fyi- white male, asian wife)
sb from MA

Amherst, NH

#6 Jul 19, 2008
I can't help but notice JB you felt safe to youse Cracker, but not the full word for other derogatory terms,, I'm sorry,, we are living in seperate worlds, I'm sorry that only white men and women are lables racist most of the time, but I've heard black commedians use every slang term for every race and its been socially acceptable like we don't want to upset them because they have a "right" to say more things then us because of their ancestory.. I've very sorry that the world was like it was, I find slavery of any kind disgusting a horrible and ignorant part of American history, I also find racism horrific, I'm an Italian American, we are steriotyped as mobsters, stupid Guinni's, and look I can say Guinni because I am one.. so I do understand the point of a black man or women using the word as a possible joke such as with stand up,, However, when your using it as just a term of friendship,, if I walked into my Noni's house and said to my cousin "hey Guinni" my Noni would kill me. well since she's a mobster and all.. not true.. just kidding but she would give me a good slap accross the face because its not ok.. Elizabeth is right on this one how can we move on if we keep bringingup the pain, and to change the usage and downplay the term is just a joke in itself. All we can hope for is that each generation we get better and better,, my great grandparents wouldn't marry anyone but italian, My Grandparents would never have associated with other races but one was and they would use every term under the sun,but my uncle married an Irish women and I'm from Massachusetts, that was a huge thing doesn't sound like now but we had seperate neighborhoods, My parents had friends of other races, and I never heard them using derogatory terms however they would never marry into it,, my generation,,(late 30's) I have many mixed racial couple friends, my second husband was from Vietnam my best friends consists of a white man and a black women, who yes are married and have 3 lovely children who play with mine. we have freind from all over.. I've talked to her about this topic and she gets upset because she says she knows many people in her race who are the ones that won't move on, she told me White people are not the problem, they are too sensative to the issues to be, its time we fix ourselves we are our own worst enemy, if the young men and women of this generation don't wake up and stop acting as marters when most of them don't even know what racism could really be like, the way older generations have, "we" meening her would always feel repressed theirfore making "ourselves repressed", we guess together now our kids playing with eachother that the next generation will finally get it..
save it

Greeneville, TN

#9 Jul 19, 2008
All of ya'll must be white. Who in the world do you think you are making a judgement about how Black people use the n-word? Mind your own business and just make sure you don't use it.
armetra

Aurora, CO

#12 Jul 20, 2008
Guess what Elisabeth I found a word you can use when you want call someone the N-word.

Whigger

1. Slang: Extremely wanna-be black, Lost they damn mind and/or ben razed ina blackass hood.

2. Dumbest shit I ever heard.

3. Need they whiteass kicked.

But Elisabeth can use it any time she wants. freedom of speech!!!
Save it

Little Rock, AR

#14 Jul 21, 2008
Pate wrote:
African civilization pales in comparison to that of European. The Hasselbeck-Goldberg conversation only underscored it.
It's all about gray matter, Whoopi. Guess you'll just have to succeed on your beauty alone.
The way the Europeans colonized, invaded and attacked African civilization I would venture a guess that the Europeans would disagree with your statement that African civilization pales in comparison. We're talking about American culture anyway so what are you getting at?

“never again”

Since: Dec 07

thanks

#15 Jul 21, 2008
I don't care about the "N Word" I don't use it. What I don't like is that stupid, whiny, no talent Elizabeth Hasselbeck. Make her stop!
Alli

Aurora, CO

#17 Jul 21, 2008
Andy wrote:
You are a jerk, just saying whatever to make a lame attempt at being clever. First, being rich has nothing to do with whether someone is a freak, that is just you being jealous of their wealth. Second, your derogatory remark about Whoopi's personal life are disgusting and has nothing to do with one's race/ethnicity, and is highly offensive in itself.
freeT

Temple, GA

#19 Jul 22, 2008
I am a Black woman who doesn't use the N-word because I have never been comfortable with it. That being said- to think that a white person using the term should be equal to a black person using the term is beyond ignorant.
(and I happen to be married to a white man)
Dawb wrote:
Andy is right - can't have it both ways.
Will there be a test kit to determine if one has the proper amount of 'black' blood to use the 'N' word? I am disappointed at Whoopi -I thought she was a human being that respected other human beings. Not a "N" that deserves special privileges because of the color of her skin.
No more The View, and not purchasing sponsors products either if The Whoops is not reprimanded.
freeT

Temple, GA

#20 Jul 22, 2008
Dude, where did you go to school?(or did you?)
freeT

Temple, GA

#21 Jul 22, 2008
Pate in AK...that question was for you.....
Heather

Carleton, MI

#23 Jul 22, 2008
"All of ya'll must be white. Who in the world do you think you are making a judgement about how Black people use the n-word? Mind your own business and just make sure you don't use it."

Exuse me? I have the right to use any word African American's use. I usually don't agree with Elisabeth- however, she is completly right on this one. We do all live in one world, and for Whoopi to say that we don't is just completly rasist of her.
Whoopi- I have lost all respect for you.
save it

Greeneville, TN

#24 Jul 22, 2008
Heather and Pate, try using that word in front of some Black people or better yet, do it in front of the media. So when do you use it exactly? Probably in the privacy of other racist whites. And tell me, what do you call white people when they act ignorant? or hispanics or asians or any other group? You feel like you have that right? You have some nerve.

Just know that you do not have the right to use a word that whites created to degrade Blacks. Black people do not use the word in the same way. If you use the n-word we all know good and well how you mean it.
save it

Greeneville, TN

#25 Jul 22, 2008
For anyone interested in understanding why blacks can use the n-word but whites cannot see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reappropriation

Educate yourself to better understand others. This helps explain why there is a wide difference of viewpoints on this matter. That is the only way to begin building bridges is to take time to understand.
Jack

United States

#26 Jul 23, 2008
Bill Cosby is right. Until black people stop calling each other the N word and continue using it in their music to degrade their own women things will never change. No one will respect the fact they take it seriously that it is such a bad word.
paula

Erie, PA

#27 Jul 23, 2008
save it wrote:
All of ya'll must be white. Who in the world do you think you are making a judgement about how Black people use the n-word? Mind your own business and just make sure you don't use it.
I am a white woman and i am offended by your remarks. I am not racist, my parents raised me not to use that disqusting word and i raised my children that we are all equal and that was a terrible word to use. As a white mother, i know what elisabeth is saying, that is hard to explain that it's wrong if you're white but it's okay for 2 blacks to call each other that. Obama is running on change, and equality. i believe that is what a lot of us want, contrary to your remarks, if it is wrong it is wrong altogether. Maybe things would get better if the lyrics changed, respect for black women by black men, fathers staying around to raise & LOVE their children, would get us going in the right direction. I certainly want change, it hurts my heart every morning or evening on the news you see one more wonderful life gunned down and taken too soon.
i too, was very surprised by whoppi & sherry's remarks. i love and respect both and this took me aback.
woodie

United States

#28 Jul 23, 2008
When a black person uses the n-word it is just as disrepectful and they should be treated the same as if a white person said it. The only way you can fight racism is by not participating in it. If you are black and using the n-word you insult the entire black race and you show a lack of character in the process. It's ignorance no matter how you try to paint it.
boe

Miami, FL

#29 Jul 23, 2008
Na das jus ignant...
save it wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Whoopi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News No, Whoopi Goldberg: Black Women Are Not Cultur... Apr '17 Ireta Murphy 19
News Whoopi Goldberg Rips LOUD Fart on 'The View' (Dec '11) Feb '17 June 178
News Whoopi Confronts Kellyanne ConwayBy Matt Wilstein (Nov '16) Nov '16 APS 21
News Whoopi goes off on Trump's taxes: 'If I had los... (Oct '16) Oct '16 APS 2
News Paula Faris to be axed from The View? (Jul '16) Jul '16 AzSunshine 3
News Whoopi Makes Elisabeth Hasselbeck Cry On The View (Jul '08) Jun '16 Fat Cows Trailer 413
News Whoopi Goldberg Asking To Get Fired From 'The V... (Feb '16) Apr '16 Darby 17
More from around the web