TV Ratings: ABC Crosses Over to Thurs...

TV Ratings: ABC Crosses Over to Thursday Win - Season best for ...

There are 18 comments on the Zap2it.com story from Feb 6, 2009, titled TV Ratings: ABC Crosses Over to Thursday Win - Season best for .... In it, Zap2it.com reports that:

Kate Walsh of 'Private Practice' Fast National ratings for Thursday, Feb. 5, 2009 A crossover episode helped "Private Practice" to its best ratings of the season Thursday and led ABC to a healthy win for the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Zap2it.com.

Rena Moretti

North Hollywood, CA

#1 Feb 6, 2009
So The Office didn't get much of a bump. Again big surprise there... Why NBC even tried it is baffling to me (except for the fact that Ben Silverman owns the show!)
Dave from Milwaukee

Milwaukee, WI

#2 Feb 6, 2009
Glad to see a big ratings improvement for Private Practice. Let's hope ABC will keep PP there this fall so that it can build from the Grey's audience and become another hit again. Also, glad to see the ghost of Denny gone from Greys. It's about time!!!

What about that Jessica Capshaw kiss with Callie! Smokin Hot!
Rena Moretti

North Hollywood, CA

#3 Feb 6, 2009
Dave from Milwaukee wrote:
Glad to see a big ratings improvement for Private Practice. Let's hope ABC will keep PP there this fall so that it can build from the Grey's audience and become another hit again. Also, glad to see the ghost of Denny gone from Greys. It's about time!!!
What about that Jessica Capshaw kiss with Callie! Smokin Hot!
I wouldn't hold my breath, unless they have crossovers every week...

But it will be interesting to see.

Since: Dec 08

United States

#4 Feb 6, 2009
So fascinating that "Private Practice" strived so hard to be its own show, but since its ratings went in the toilet, it pulls the "corssover" card with "Grey's"... and still loses a significant part of "Grey's" audience.
Hot Pocket

Chicago, IL

#5 Feb 6, 2009
ER is the reason why network TV even has any great writing left in its shows. Every week its been emotional and I hope people start coming back to the show as they head towards the finale. Private Practice being a medical drama is obviously hurting its ratings.

The Office was never a hit and will never be a hit and NBC officially wasted their Super Bowl post-lead in spot for it.

Bones has officially helped FOX Thursday Nights by itself.

CBS is still scary even with repeats.
Shanae

Redondo Beach, CA

#6 Feb 6, 2009
Well... ABC had sorta banked on it - the success - and that's why they're dragging this cross-over to another go - perhaps even a 3rd... As long as it produces the successful result they're aiming for. And who could blame them..?? After all, hit shows are what makes TV Advertising, and thus Profits. I must admit, if it hadn't been a cross-over deal, I would've watched THE BEAST. Instead, I kept watching ABC - and most probably will next week as well. Kudoos to whoever at ABC thought of this desperation maneuver - it worked..!!
Thorny

Decatur, IL

#7 Feb 6, 2009
I don't like Grey's or Practice, never have, never will...BUT, the shows are not made for my tastes, so I don't hold it against folks who do like the shows. This is where ABC still does have a grasp on reality, unlike NBC. ABC is willing to go after a bit of a niche market (women 18-49) and tends to be successful at it, which is why Grey's and Practice are still doing as well as they are, relatively-speaking.

NBC doesn't understand this, choosing instead to go for what it thinks is the creme de la creme, with near-tragic results. The Office only appeals to a very tiny portion of the viewing audience, which is why its post-Super Bowl ratings were both false and an anomoly. NBC can't grasp this, however, insisting that the ratings were an indicator of a successful show.

Even though I don't like either show, I'm glad the Grey's/Practice cross-over worked, because it proved a point: if you make a product that is aimed at your fans, and you continue to please those fans (unlike what ABC has done to Life On Mars, say), then your show will be a success, no matter what the weekly ratings indicate. Now if Practice takes a dive next week, then we'll know that it was thanks to its parent show that it did so well. Otherwise, ABC will be able to crow loudly and have the numbers to back it up.
Alex

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Feb 7, 2009
Headline should've read, BONES #1 at 8 p.m., then ABC took over from there.

“TheseDays”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#9 Feb 7, 2009
While I'm channel-surfing, catch PP. Looks good, but have never really watched a full episode. Looks like next episode, the ex-husband gonna cross over from Grey's for a visit - maybe I'll catch that.
Rena Moretti

North Hollywood, CA

#10 Feb 7, 2009
Hot Pocket wrote:
ER is the reason why network TV even has any great writing left in its shows. Every week its been emotional and I hope people start coming back to the show as they head towards the finale. Private Practice being a medical drama is obviously hurting its ratings.
The Office was never a hit and will never be a hit and NBC officially wasted their Super Bowl post-lead in spot for it.
Bones has officially helped FOX Thursday Nights by itself.
CBS is still scary even with repeats.
You'd never believe how many people think The Office is some sort of #1 show... so I am very glad to see there are people out there who aren't fooled by the PR.:)
Jeff

Canada

#11 Feb 7, 2009
The Office is great so whatever!
Rena Moretti

North Hollywood, CA

#12 Feb 7, 2009
Jeff wrote:
The Office is great so whatever!
I am so touched by the eloquence of this argument that I am herewith electing not to mention ever again that The Office comes in a very, very distant third on most nights it airs and is usually beaten even by re-runs.

Oh darn, looks lie I did it again!! ;)
Thorny

Decatur, IL

#13 Feb 7, 2009
Looks lie you did. Freudian slip, eh?:P
johnd

AOL

#14 Feb 7, 2009
What angers me is "Bones" is on this week then prempted again next week. Sorry Fox but I'll be watching "Survivor" & hoping I don't get sucked in.
Alan 59

United States

#15 Feb 8, 2009
John, you're welcome to watch whatever you want, but I don't understand choosing to watch an hour of television hoping that you won't enjoy it.
Rena Moretti

North Hollywood, CA

#16 Feb 8, 2009
Thorny wrote:
Looks lie you did. Freudian slip, eh?:P
Looks lie it! ;)
mjf56

Lancaster, NY

#17 Feb 10, 2009
What is it with this country? 30 ROCK has a 3.1 rating and the lame TWO AND A HALF MEN is the highest rated comedy? At least the consistantly funny THE BIG BANG THEORY is moving up the ratings ladder. I thank the NBC brass for keeping Tina Fey's comedic genius on the air despite the anemic national ratings.
Rena Moretti

North Hollywood, CA

#18 Feb 10, 2009
mjf56 wrote:
What is it with this country? 30 ROCK has a 3.1 rating and the lame TWO AND A HALF MEN is the highest rated comedy? At least the consistantly funny THE BIG BANG THEORY is moving up the ratings ladder. I thank the NBC brass for keeping Tina Fey's comedic genius on the air despite the anemic national ratings.
Hailing executives for sinking their networks is hardly a way to keep that network alive and well over the long turn.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ugly Betty Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News America Ferrera responds: 'Thank you, Donald Tr... Jul '15 wild child 4
News Prankster happy to confuse Blanchett for Ferrer... (Jun '14) Jun '14 hello 1
News 500 Days of Summer (Jan '10) May '13 O Morgan 2
News Cuba Gooding Jr., Vanessa Williams, Condola Ras... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Eric 1
Ask Vanessa Williams a question! (Apr '12) Apr '12 Kimberly 1
News Gay Pride Events Planned In Des Moines On Weekend (Jun '10) Apr '12 Gracieminniebella 38
News America Ferrera stops in El Paso: Actress will ... (Mar '12) Mar '12 Vicente Fernandez 3
More from around the web