'Wire' finale lacks power of previous...

'Wire' finale lacks power of previous seasons

There are 77 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Mar 7, 2008, titled 'Wire' finale lacks power of previous seasons. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Editor's Note: In this review, we have been careful to avoid disclosing major plot points in Sunday's finale of The Wire.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Setting Sun

Baltimore, MD

#64 Mar 8, 2008
??? Season 2 was an absolute masterpiece, don't really understand your point, Jay... Season 2 and 4 are clear standouts. The Sun stinks, I am tired of the declining quality and bias. Sad to see an institution slump to such lows. I will be canning my delivery. Might as well start reading the Examiner.
Chris

Ellicott City, MD

#65 Mar 8, 2008
Of course a sun writer would not give credit to the wire. Hmmmmm, I wonder why. The Sun like many other newspapers in this country are sinking because of the internet, lack of journalistic integrity and liberal bias. The wire is one of the greatest shows of our time.
Blue In Baltimore

Baltimore, MD

#66 Mar 8, 2008
Setting Sun wrote:
??? Season 2 was an absolute masterpiece, don't really understand your point, Jay... Season 2 and 4 are clear standouts. The Sun stinks, I am tired of the declining quality and bias. Sad to see an institution slump to such lows. I will be canning my delivery. Might as well start reading the Examiner.
Agreed!! I think Season 4 was my personal favorite. The finale every season kind of neatly wraps everything up. There is never anything earth shattering that goes on so I'm really not expecting that with 5. I use my Sun for my fireplace. It burns rather well. Just an idea!
Sour Milk for the Sun

Clarksville, MD

#67 Mar 8, 2008
Maybe the reason the Sun is one of the few media outlets to negatively review one of the BEST DRAMAS ever, is because it is actually telling the truth. This season exposed city government, and especially the decline of the Baltimore Sun perfectly. This negative review just shows how bad the reporting at the Sun as gotten. Congrats to the wire for exposing all the frauds in Baltimore City to let the entire nation know the truth about Baltimore. Hoorah!!
David

London, UK

#68 Mar 8, 2008
Hahaha couldnt be funnier. Does it kind of hurt when the mirror is turned on your industry? Go do some reporting.
Chris

Columbia, MD

#69 Mar 8, 2008
burt wrote:
brooklyn makes baltimore look like beverly hilly
Umm... have you ever been to Baltimore? Probably... to the inner harbor, fells point, federal hill... but never into ghetto... so its obvious you don't know what you are talking about
Some Guy

Canada

#70 Mar 8, 2008
I could not disagree more. I saw the last episode and I have to say that this season was a perfect ending to a perfect show.
Do I detect a hint of bitterness from the Baltimore Sun? I'm shocked!
Det Ray Cole

Guyton, GA

#71 Mar 8, 2008
This doesnt sound like sour grapes at all.......
Duh

Dundalk, MD

#72 Mar 8, 2008
Biff wrote:
How is everyone seeing the final episode already? Its not available on demand until after the broadcasted final airs. I would love to know.
Also, will it be available in high def?
Ya Dig!!!
Biff,

I've never seen an episode of The Wire, but while browsing through my HBO channels today, I did see an advertisement stating that the finale is viewable now.
Lee Krempel

Baltimore, MD

#73 Mar 8, 2008
Yeah. I have to disagree.
Greg

Detroit, MI

#74 Mar 9, 2008
Of course, the Sun will be critical of the final season. Sneaky backdoor critique trying to make the case that the newspaper focus in Season 5 was "one dimensional". The Baltimore Sun has become an absolutely terrible paper. It was destiny. There is no way that the populace of Baltimore would support a newspaper with any realism. These criticisms of the Sun are really criticisms of the readership in this lost town we call Baltimore.
Slim Tone

Philadelphia, PA

#75 Mar 9, 2008
I saw the finale and it was great...too often in society we always look for more than meets the eye. The show ended with a possibility that maybe THE GAME STAYS THE SAME THE PLAYERS JUST CHANGE. Everyone got promoted or changed jobs form the police to the dealers to the convicts. And for all those people the thought it lacked the umph of the prior seasons just look at the evening news to supplement the lack of violence.
Save our Sun

Rancho Cordova, CA

#76 Mar 9, 2008
Funny, I thought the writers and Simon made some really cool characters for the Sun... Gus, Alma, Mike. I thought the finale did a great job of showing how personal ambition doesn't jive in public service... reporting, teaching, leadership... too bad the Sun reviewer seems to take the negative shots at newspapers so personally and doesn't feel good about the positive portrayal of good writers and reporters. Maybe inner feelings of Scott Templeton exit!:)
TSJ

Mobile, AL

#78 Mar 10, 2008
I completely agree. Everything just seemed forced. The symetry between Bubbles and Duquan and Omar and Michael was excellent even if sad. But the rest...
I was very disappointed. I already thought the season was weak except for the Omar/Marlo angle and when that ended so did the season.
Wire Fan

La Mesa, CA

#79 Mar 10, 2008
It's hard to imagine that someone from a city that is a complete dump would be critical of a show that tried to at least show it had some personality.....I hope they have a buy-out with your name on it you donkey.
Larry Knight

Jacksonville, FL

#80 Mar 13, 2008
I am going to (gulp) vehemently disagree with the call for 'one more season,' or with the writer's claim that this season was terrible. And I do so with a LOT of hypocracy. Let's get this straight: I LOVE 'THE WIRE'!!!!!!! I think that it is one (if not the) best show to ever air on American television. Not to mention that it could, quite possibly, run FOREVER! That being said...all good things must and should come to an end. Sure, I, like any oher self-respecting fan of the show, would love to see the continued exploits of Bunk, Kema, McNulty, Carver, Sydnor, Daniels, and Freemon. Not to mention the boys in the streets. However, I think it is best to end the show before it begins to as the industry term goes 'jump the shark.' Noooooooooooooooooone wants to see a season where Kema is planning to have an artificially inseminated baby with McNulty, or Bunk running for B-More's mayor (His platform:'A cigar and scotch for every citizen!'), or Bubbles as a Community Activist, or Freemon getting hooked on drugs, or any other wild exploitive attempt to keep the show on air. What I am incensed about is the lack of promo given to this show in its final season. The amount of pub given to the Sopranos was absolutely obscene. It just goes to show that well written, well conceived, though violent, shows with a predominantly black cast gets no love by industry folk.

So now that it is officially over...my wife and I have decided to dig out our DVDs of seasons 1-4 and take the whole trip again. Ahhhh, to hear the Blind Boys of Alabama one mo gin......'When you walk through the garden...'

Since: Apr 08

New York, NY

#81 Apr 1, 2008
I personally love the way that everything wrapped up. It seems to end with "prequels" for the kids, and everything is realistic. The cover-ups prevent McNulty and Freamon from being fired, the suits take all the credit for the outcome of the lie, the kingpin is out of jail while the Liutenants take the wrap, the drugs are on the table on the news, and the liar gets the Pulitzer. Furthermore, crime never stops.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Wire Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A&E's - Generation KKK' Changes Title, Adds New... Dec '16 Burnt Offerings 1
Judge Falen Dec '16 Kev 2
McNulty's Snitch for Fitzhugh (May '16) Dec '16 Kev 2
HELP! I need help with a Gus Haynes quote! (Nov '13) Jun '16 ToolateI 2
News Wendell Pierce arrested for allegedly hitting f... (May '16) May '16 Le Jimbo 1
News Obama discusses drug war with 'The Wire' creator (Mar '15) Apr '15 americanslang 14
panel of The Wire cast at the Paley Center (Oct '14) Oct '14 sgreenberg 1
More from around the web