The week the women left Tatamagouche

The week the women left Tatamagouche

There are 3 comments on the The Globe and Mail story from Jan 25, 2009, titled The week the women left Tatamagouche. In it, The Globe and Mail reports that:

First it was small-town Alberta. Now the men in coastal Nova Scotia are stuck with cooking, cleaning and all those dirty diapers MELANIE PATTEN Canadian Press HALIFAX -- Innkeeper Jimmie LeFresne lost half of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Globe and Mail.

Matt S

Marystown, Canada

#1 Mar 11, 2009
I am a single father full time with no mother in the picture at all. I find this season and last season of this show extremely insulting. I work full time, raise my 4 year old daughter full time and take care of every aspect of the home. It is shows like this that get comments like “It is nice to see a man doing the right thing”. Yet when you see a single mother you hear,“It is a shame the father isn’t doing a thing.”
Also in my experiences in the last 3+ years I have been doing it, the system is very one sided. The government and local agencies set up to help the “Single parent” are there for the single mothers, yet when I approched them for help of any kind, I was told it was great to see a father doing the right thing, but then I was told to get a job and refused help.
Shows like this do nothing for helping the single parent and show that with out woman the house hold would fall apart and men would better people after learning this week long lesson. I would like to see a show where people like myself, the “single parent” doing it on our own ( both mothers and fathers) and we men are not idiots!!
I did complain to the CBC about this show and was met with silence. The same silence i was met with all the government agencies and local help centers.
Glaxo

Winnipeg, Canada

#2 Apr 16, 2009
I do agree with you that there is not the same support for fathers as there is for mothers in our society.

Part of the problem is that you and your child are a pretty small percentage of families with that set up. There are many men who have joint custody and do the same things as the mom - but few single parent male families.

You must understand though that it took women a very long time to lobby for the resources that exist. men don't seem to want to do that. You say that you asked for assistance at social agencies and were turned away. A woman would have gone to a lawyer or the press about that. Instead of bugging CBC about a show that is hardly meant for much more than amusement use your energies better and be the pioneer.

I do wish you luck but a different perception could go a long way.
Matt S wrote:
I am a single father full time with no mother in the picture at all. I find this season and last season of this show extremely insulting. I work full time, raise my 4 year old daughter full time and take care of every aspect of the home. It is shows like this that get comments like “It is nice to see a man doing the right thing”. Yet when you see a single mother you hear,“It is a shame the father isn’t doing a thing.”
Also in my experiences in the last 3+ years I have been doing it, the system is very one sided. The government and local agencies set up to help the “Single parent” are there for the single mothers, yet when I approched them for help of any kind, I was told it was great to see a father doing the right thing, but then I was told to get a job and refused help.
Shows like this do nothing for helping the single parent and show that with out woman the house hold would fall apart and men would better people after learning this week long lesson. I would like to see a show where people like myself, the “single parent” doing it on our own ( both mothers and fathers) and we men are not idiots!!
I did complain to the CBC about this show and was met with silence. The same silence i was met with all the government agencies and local help centers.
paul shykora arts

Calgary, Canada

#3 Apr 17, 2009
GOD Bless...everyone,here....The hillbilly farmboy has spoken...eh..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Week the Women Went Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Week the Women Went (Sep '12) Sep '12 Terry Miller 1
News TV Tonight: Face Off, The Week the Women Went (Aug '12) Aug '12 Suzie 1
Mica (Jul '11) Aug '12 Cyntha 3
News A reality check on rural women (Feb '09) Feb '09 Atlantic Canada 1
More from around the web