Talk-show host Tavis Smiley tackles Obama and race

Jul 27, 2008 Full story: Athens Banner-Herald 59

Tavis Smiley is all wound up. His voice is rough from too much vocalizing, but the host of public television's "Tavis Smiley" talk show and public radio's "The Tavis Smiley Show" is on an oratorical roll about ...

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
REAL CONSCIENCE

Santa Clarita, CA

#42 Jul 30, 2008
Ancestor_Hunter wrote:
<quoted text>
You're absolutely right! It's the same as when a young black person does well in school, maybe even begins to lose his/her "accent", they right away are accused of "acting white" or "trying to be white." Why do those who don't care to raise themselves up do their best to hold the others down?
I believe Sen. Obama mentioned this at the 2004 Presidential Campaign. His speech was universal and spoke to everyone in different points. This is why I 'do' believe he is more of a uniter than some would like to believe. BUT, I am still waiting to make a final decision because I don't like to rush into anything.

I will say, it is up to Black Americans who want to progress to overcome the agenda that Jackson and Sharpton try to lay for us.

You keep the faith, examine yourself, be fair to ALL people, and lead by example. This is the only way Black Americans who think like we do will see any true progress and be happy in the long run.

“I Put the "B" in ITCH!!”

Since: Jun 08

Wood-Ridge, NJ

#43 Jul 31, 2008
REAL CONSCIENCE wrote:
<quoted text>
Read this article and you'll find that Obama is not talking about Reparations and Affirmative Action the way that Jackson and Sharpton talk about it.
The reason Jackson and Sharpton are jealous is because they NEVER commanded the respect from Americans or Worldwide that Obama has. Whether or not you like his politics, you can't deny his grace, intelligence, charisma, and quest to do well.
Also, remember, if taxes will pay for reparations, then even the African Americans who are supposed to benefit will be taxed. So, read this article and let me know what you think.
Thanks.
Ok, I've read it and don't think either JJ or AS were even mentioned. I don't care if either one of them is jealous of Obama, other than his private career, there isnothing else to be jealous of? Obama hasn't done anything in the political world.
Tavis is asking some tough questions, that apparently no black man wants to answer. For shame. I personally would like to know if Obama (not that I ever planned on voting for him) would consider reparations. If this were a tax based initiative, I would rather go to jail than pay.

“I Put the "B" in ITCH!!”

Since: Jun 08

Wood-Ridge, NJ

#44 Jul 31, 2008
REAL CONSCIENCE wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, here is the link to the article to which I am referring.
www.democracynow.org
Which article are you wanting me to read, I briefly scanned the page, I don't have time to read them all. Pinpoint me in the right direction.
REAL CONSCIENCE

Santa Clarita, CA

#45 Jul 31, 2008
NJBRED wrote:
<quoted text>
Which article are you wanting me to read, I briefly scanned the page, I don't have time to read them all. Pinpoint me in the right direction.
Sorry about that, NJBRED, here is the 'complete' link.

http://www.democracynow.org/2008/7/28/obama_h...

Since: Apr 07

MOTOWN

#46 Jul 31, 2008
NJBRED wrote:
<quoted text>
OFor shame. I personally would like to know if Obama (not that I ever planned on voting for him) would consider reparations. If this were a tax based initiative, I would rather go to jail than pay.
I don't think reparations will ever happen. And the ONLY way I could condone them is IF, and ONLY IF, the only ones required to pay are those whose families can be proven without a doubt to have owned slaves, and they should pay ONLY to the proven descendents of those individual slaves.

My adoptive family didn't come to America until long after slavery was abolished, and my biological family (at least the one side I can trace) were here during slavery but were dirt poor and never owned a slave. So, don't look at me for any money or my family.
REAL CONSCIENCE

Santa Clarita, CA

#47 Jul 31, 2008
Ancestor_Hunter wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think reparations will ever happen. And the ONLY way I could condone them is IF, and ONLY IF, the only ones required to pay are those whose families can be proven without a doubt to have owned slaves, and they should pay ONLY to the proven descendents of those individual slaves.
My adoptive family didn't come to America until long after slavery was abolished, and my biological family (at least the one side I can trace) were here during slavery but were dirt poor and never owned a slave. So, don't look at me for any money or my family.
I agree. I have never been for reparations because I feel the ones who should be paid are dead. But, if you read the same link I gave to NJBRED, you'll read what Obama thinks about reparations and affirmative action.

Since: Apr 07

MOTOWN

#48 Jul 31, 2008
REAL CONSCIENCE wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. I have never been for reparations because I feel the ones who should be paid are dead. But, if you read the same link I gave to NJBRED, you'll read what Obama thinks about reparations and affirmative action.
All I can say is having an opinion on it doesn't necessarily mean he'll try it or that Congress would approve it.
REAL CONSCIENCE

Santa Clarita, CA

#49 Jul 31, 2008
Ancestor_Hunter wrote:
<quoted text>
All I can say is having an opinion on it doesn't necessarily mean he'll try it or that Congress would approve it.
Are you saying that he may NOT try reparations and/or affirmative action in the way he said?
REAL CONSCIENCE

Santa Clarita, CA

#50 Jul 31, 2008
Ancestor_Hunter wrote:
<quoted text>
All I can say is having an opinion on it doesn't necessarily mean he'll try it or that Congress would approve it.
I'm not being confrontational I'm asking if I understand your statement. I think this is a better way for me to phrase it....

So, I am hearing you say that he may have an opinion but he won't propose reparations or affirmative action in the way he stated in this article.

Yes, I like that phraseology better.

Since: Apr 07

MOTOWN

#51 Aug 1, 2008
REAL CONSCIENCE wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not being confrontational I'm asking if I understand your statement. I think this is a better way for me to phrase it....
So, I am hearing you say that he may have an opinion but he won't propose reparations or affirmative action in the way he stated in this article.
Yes, I like that phraseology better.
I'm saying there's no guarantee that he will or that he won't. And even if he did, he's got Congress to deal with. I think, should he be elected, he'll have a lot more important issues on his plate to deal with for a long time. In the whole scheme of things, this would have to have very low priority.
REAL CONSCIENCE

Santa Clarita, CA

#52 Aug 1, 2008
Ancestor_Hunter wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm saying there's no guarantee that he will or that he won't. And even if he did, he's got Congress to deal with. I think, should he be elected, he'll have a lot more important issues on his plate to deal with for a long time. In the whole scheme of things, this would have to have very low priority.
Yes, I see your point. Thanks for the feedback.
Dan

Pleasant Prairie, WI

#53 Aug 1, 2008
Blacks cannot tackle the race issue, and cling to the old black chant, that all whites are of the white slave-owning planter aristocracy. And saddest of all is black failure to realize, the majority of white Americans are of slaves from Europe, without pity for others clinging to such a crutch.

AKJ

“akj”

Since: May 08

I love my lil son..:)

#54 Aug 1, 2008
He need's to sit his big headed azz down. And he wonder's why by BET fired him. To much damn mouth!!!!!!!

Since: Apr 07

MOTOWN

#55 Aug 2, 2008
REAL CONSCIENCE wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I see your point. Thanks for the feedback.
This article should ease your mind. Fresh from Yahoo News today:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080802/ap_on_el_...
REAL CONSCIENCE

Santa Clarita, CA

#56 Aug 2, 2008
Ancestor_Hunter wrote:
<quoted text>
This article should ease your mind. Fresh from Yahoo News today:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080802/ap_on_el_...
Thanks for the link. Please check out this one below. He's saying the same thing regarding reparations. He doesn't believe it should come in a monetary check but through schools and jobs. I don't believe in reparations the way Jackson and Sharpton do because I believe the ones who should have been paid are dead.
REAL CONSCIENCE

Santa Clarita, CA

#57 Aug 2, 2008
Ancestor_Hunter wrote:
<quoted text>
This article should ease your mind. Fresh from Yahoo News today:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080802/ap_on_el_...
Sorry, I didn't post the link, did I.(Giggle) Well, here it is.

http://www.democracynow.org/2008/7/28/obama_h...
indy

Mansfield, MA

#58 Dec 18, 2010
tavis smiley blows up more people everyday than muslim extreemists do........
indy

Mansfield, MA

#59 Dec 18, 2010
Bro wrote:
<quoted text> Obama does not suck. People don't like him because he is Black, period!!
then why would we watch sports? most of the elite atheletes ive played sports with were mainly black..... so i guess if we dont like blacks, we wouldnt like sports.... how did oilbama get elected if we hated blacks? do u think people just voted for his white side?.... i dont like him because he uses race to divide us, he is a liar, and he wants special treatment.... i dont like carter either, and im white.... i lke condeleeza, steele.... theyre more black than oilbama.... by the way, reid sux too, the mexican senator..hes white, oh, hes an american senator? its so hard to tell.....
Mombasa Bay

Knoxville, TN

#60 Dec 18, 2010
Indigenous wrote:
Smiley represents the "old guard". They claim "they" know what is right for the so-called black community, yet all they have is more problems and conditions and no solutions. We as a viable and sustainable race/collective of people, must find out the real truth concerning our heritage, and place of belonging in the Americas (now called America). Until we do, the Smiley's of the world will always control and lead us to our enemies door. See, they make their living off of our ignorance, and as long as we stay ignorant, the Smiley's of the world can "eat" at our (the miseducated masses of so-called black people's) expense. So, you see; there is a method to their madness: keep us down and ignorant for the status-quo, so they can continue to appear as the leaders and saviours of the so-called black people. They are the biggest "wolves in sheep's clothing" Are we ready to learn? Until we are ready to learn our reality, and live that reality, and sweep out those who don't uphold that reality, we will continue to get what we have always gotten: "The short end of the stick, delievered by our own so-called people.
You have an entire country to take care of.You can't do it!
We have to hold you by the hand to teach you how to plant seeds.

You are over populated with disease!

YOU SHOULD BOYCOTT WHITE PEOPLE!No robbing,stealing,working,publi c assistance,NOTHING!

We can help you with this transition.GOOD LUCK

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Tavis Smiley Show Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Karen Grigsby Bates (Jan '11) Jan '11 Fora 1
Prince opens up to public TV's Tavis Smiley (Apr '09) Apr '09 Gloria Carter 1
Self-proclaimed experts exploit ignorance of Islam (Apr '07) Apr '09 muslim 63
Rahm Emanuel grilled by NBC "Meet the Press" ho... (Feb '09) Mar '09 John M 4
Tavis Smiley's Big Weekend: The State of the Bl... (Feb '09) Feb '09 Da 9th Element 9
Radio Host Says Tavis Smiley May Have Left Show... (Nov '08) Nov '08 TARA WALTON 1
Talk-show host Tavis Smiley tackles Obama and race (Jul '08) Jul '08 Question Authority 7
More from around the web