Talk-show host Tavis Smiley tackles Obama and race

Jul 27, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Athens Banner-Herald

Tavis Smiley is all wound up. His voice is rough from too much vocalizing, but the host of public television's "Tavis Smiley" talk show and public radio's "The Tavis Smiley Show" is on an oratorical roll about ...

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of59
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Non-whining conservative woman”

Since: Jul 08

Midwest Town

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2008

Bro wrote:
<quoted text> Obama does not suck. People don't like him because he is Black, period!!
Why do you like Obama so much? Because he's going to get all that welfare going? He doesn't understand foreign policy, he barely understands the economy, his chief plan is to take more of our tax money for social programs, and he refuses to debate because he might look like an idiot. And that's who you want running this country? You have to look way beyond skin color on this one Bro.
Concerned Black Citizen

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2008

TiredoftheCrapinAmerica wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you like Obama so much? Because he's going to get all that welfare going? He doesn't understand foreign policy, he barely understands the economy, his chief plan is to take more of our tax money for social programs, and he refuses to debate because he might look like an idiot. And that's who you want running this country? You have to look way beyond skin color on this one Bro.
What about McCain Bro? Where is he going to lead the country? He has already admitted he doesn't know anything about the Economy; he failed in his attempt to grant amnesty to illegal immigrants, I've heard nothing in regards to a healthcare plan. I mean what does this guy running on other than him want to keep our troops in Iraq for another four years. If McBush is elected nothing will change and this country and our economy will continue on its downward spiral.

You know as well as I know that if Barrack is elected President of the Unites States nothing whatsoever is going to change for Blacks in this country. If anything Whites would be able to somehow in their minds justify that there is no more racism and that Blacks are now equal to Whites and have the same opportunities and the election of a Black man as President of the United States proves it to be so and how can you dispute that? You can say there is nothing for Blacks to complain about as everyone in this country is now playing on an even playing field so really Barrack being elected wouldn't be so bad at all right?

“That's not CHOCOLATE, dummy!”

...Classic!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2008

Concerned Black Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
What about McCain Bro? Where is he going to lead the country? He has already admitted he doesn't know anything about the Economy; he failed in his attempt to grant amnesty to illegal immigrants, I've heard nothing in regards to a healthcare plan. I mean what does this guy running on other than him want to keep our troops in Iraq for another four years. If McBush is elected nothing will change and this country and our economy will continue on its downward spiral.
You know as well as I know that if Barrack is elected President of the Unites States nothing whatsoever is going to change for Blacks in this country. If anything Whites would be able to somehow in their minds justify that there is no more racism and that Blacks are now equal to Whites and have the same opportunities and the election of a Black man as President of the United States proves it to be so and how can you dispute that? You can say there is nothing for Blacks to complain about as everyone in this country is now playing on an even playing field so really Barrack being elected wouldn't be so bad at all right?
No, it would prove once and for all that your "twice as hard" rhetoric is BULLSHIT....and THATS why if he gets his halfbreed ass shot off before the election...it'll be BLACKS that do it.

As USUAL.

...Classic!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2008

You wanna KNOW about McCain's platform?
http://usconservatives.about.com/od/johnmccai...

You "haven't heard anything about it" because you don't WANT to.

Now, WHAT have YOU got, BESIDES "si, se puede"?

...Classic!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2008

Bring it, BYTCH....
or run away, AGAIN.
Concerned Black Citizen

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2008

ReallyohReally wrote:
Bring it, BYTCH....
or run away, AGAIN.
Man, what you are angry about. I don't know you and you don't know me and whatever you type does not get me mad or upset.

We can share a debate without all the extra stuff ok. Lighten up some.
REAL CONSCIENCE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2008

<quoted text>
Oh grow up! You can't be serious. Maybe in the backwoods of Appalachia that's true, but no free thinking, educated intelligent American (if there are any left!) is voting strictly because of race.
I agree. Frankly, there are a lot of issues that are troubling me, today.

Midwest Town

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2008

Concerned Black Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait a sec, did I miss something? I thought blacks WERE equal to whites and DID have the same opportunities as each other. Hmmm, I'll have to look up my history.

Besides, it is not Bush's fault, or any one or two people's fault that things are falling apart. You can trace certain problems back to the Clinton presidency. Everything is poised to fall apart now...it'll be like the Great Depression again for a while, but Obama or McCain or whomever gets in there will not be able to wave a magic pen and "fix it".
Bro

Spanaway, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2008

<quoted text>
What is so wrong with social programs? Isn't it about time that the government gave financial reparations to Blacks for what White people have put us through? Obama is the only candidate that would ever support such a measure!
Bottle Rocket

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2008

Bro wrote:
<quoted text> What is so wrong with social programs? Isn't it about time that the government gave financial reparations to Blacks for what White people have put us through? Obama is the only candidate that would ever support such a measure!
With all these supposed "Open Forum" debates where John Q. Public's voice is supposedly heard, why haven't we heard that simple question presented to Obama:

Do you support reparations for blacks?

I suspect that an affirmative answer will cause a loss of 20 to 30 percent of his supporters.

Midwest Town

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2008

Bro wrote:
<quoted text> What is so wrong with social programs? Isn't it about time that the government gave financial reparations to Blacks for what White people have put us through? Obama is the only candidate that would ever support such a measure!
Nothing is wrong with some social programs, but really, is money going to make up for slavery? And besides, slavery in America is a small drop in the bucked compared with other forms of opression that took place in the rest of the world. It's really time to move on. Why should MY family pay for that? My ancestors never owned slaves.

Midwest Town

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2008

I'm really sick to death of the f***ing whiny people in this country. The declaration reads, "the pursuit of happiness" not "I deserve to be handed exactly what I want."
bowser

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2008

Bro wrote:
reparations would not fix anything, it is the social aspects that need to change, any monetary change is only going to be temporary for most, and social change has the ability to be built upon IMO. Earning something vs having it given is like night and day, if reperations were given it would not be appreciated because it wasnt earned, and it opens a pandoras box for more than just blacks, IMO it is actually ridiculous at this point.

I have no problem with Tavis Smiley, I liked him before all this, so why should I change just because he critisized Obama?

Some people will not vote for Obama because he is black, some people will vote for him only because he is black, are both people right? are both people wrong? are they both racist? Racist is used to loosely, if I vote for Obama because he is black does that mean I hate white people? If I dont vote for him because he is black does that mean I hate black people?

IMO Obama is a politician willing to do and say whatever he has to to get elected, the same way it has been for the last 20 years, this is just the way it is. McCain is the exact same way, so was clinton bush and everyone else. What they do when they get in the white house is the difference.
Granny

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2008

REAL CONSCIENCE wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds as though you may as well had Snoop Dogg as the guest speaker. Foshizzle!
Eversince, Obama has come on the stage, Tavis and Jesse have let their jealousy show.

Listen, Snoop Dogg had a very bad start, he has paid his dues to society, and is now a business man and entertainer. Its been a battle, he made mistakes and some very bad choices. Snoop is trying to keep his act together, and he needs to know that people like this old seventy one year old black granny is wishing him the very best.

However. getting back on topic, I honestly do-not think that Jessie can explain his remarks away, nor Tavis the pure meanness and hurtful remarks he has made regarding Obama.
REAL CONSCIENCE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2008

Granny wrote:
<quoted text>Eversince, Obama has come on the stage, Tavis and Jesse have let their jealousy show.
Listen, Snoop Dogg had a very bad start, he has paid his dues to society, and is now a business man and entertainer. Its been a battle, he made mistakes and some very bad choices. Snoop is trying to keep his act together, and he needs to know that people like this old seventy one year old black granny is wishing him the very best.
However. getting back on topic, I honestly do-not think that Jessie can explain his remarks away, nor Tavis the pure meanness and hurtful remarks he has made regarding Obama.
I agree with you on Tavis and Jesse's jealousy of Sen. Obama.

Regarding Snoop Dogg, however, I was responding the comments made by the poster J Johns about an appearance Tavis made to his college and the language/verbage he (Tavis) used. BUT, in order for Snoop to fully pay his debt to society, he must finally realize the use of the N word to be a negative form of speech and speak out against it. With that said, I do understand Snoop's situation. And when I saw his commercials with Lee Iacoca and his many appearances, I felt hope that he was embarking on a more positive path in his life.

I have never liked Jesse Jackson and I have always had 'mixed feelings' about Tavis Smiley. My feelings about Jesse have not changed--I can't stand him and I do not like Tavis Smiley.

“I Put the "B" in ITCH!!”

Since: Jun 08

Wood-Ridge, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2008

Preacherwoman wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what kind of name "Tavis Smiley " is, however, many Blacks are being to feel that he is doing everything he can to under-mind Obama.
He may be on an oratorical roll but there is not much difference between him and Jessie Jackson.
Frankly, it's becoming clear they are both jealous of Obama, and that's a shame!
What is there to be jealous of Obama? Really, what has this man done? Except running for President?

“I Put the "B" in ITCH!!”

Since: Jun 08

Wood-Ridge, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2008

Bro wrote:
Count this "white" person out of throwing money into that reparations bucket, my family is only 2nd generation American. We owned nothing.
REAL CONSCIENCE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2008

NJBRED wrote:
<quoted text>
Count this "white" person out of throwing money into that reparations bucket, my family is only 2nd generation American. We owned nothing.
Read this article and you'll find that Obama is not talking about Reparations and Affirmative Action the way that Jackson and Sharpton talk about it.

The reason Jackson and Sharpton are jealous is because they NEVER commanded the respect from Americans or Worldwide that Obama has. Whether or not you like his politics, you can't deny his grace, intelligence, charisma, and quest to do well.

Also, remember, if taxes will pay for reparations, then even the African Americans who are supposed to benefit will be taxed. So, read this article and let me know what you think.

Thanks.
REAL CONSCIENCE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2008

NJBRED wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, here is the link to the article to which I am referring.

www.democracynow.org

Since: Apr 07

MOTOWN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2008

REAL CONSCIENCE wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it is a shame but, unfortunately, it is a disease that plagues the black community. We 'say' we want progression and to be successful, then when someone is, alot of blacks become jealous and spew venom!
You're absolutely right! It's the same as when a young black person does well in school, maybe even begins to lose his/her "accent", they right away are accused of "acting white" or "trying to be white." Why do those who don't care to raise themselves up do their best to hold the others down?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of59
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent The Tavis Smiley Show Discussions

Search the The Tavis Smiley Show Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Karen Grigsby Bates (Jan '11) Jan '11 Fora 1
Prince opens up to public TV's Tavis Smiley (Apr '09) Apr '09 Gloria Carter 1
Self-proclaimed experts exploit ignorance of Islam (Apr '07) Apr '09 muslim 63
Rahm Emanuel grilled by NBC "Meet the Press" ho... (Feb '09) Mar '09 John M 4
Tavis Smiley's Big Weekend: The State of the Bl... (Feb '09) Feb '09 Da 9th Element 9
Radio Host Says Tavis Smiley May Have Left Show... (Nov '08) Nov '08 TARA WALTON 1
Talk-show host Tavis Smiley tackles Obama and race (Jul '08) Jul '08 Question Authority 7
•••
•••
•••