Talk-show host Tavis Smiley tackles Obama and race

Jul 27, 2008 Full story: Athens Banner-Herald 59

Tavis Smiley is all wound up. His voice is rough from too much vocalizing, but the host of public television's "Tavis Smiley" talk show and public radio's "The Tavis Smiley Show" is on an oratorical roll about ...

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
RTX

Middlefield, CT

#1 Jul 27, 2008
What the hell kind of name is "Tavis Smiley"? Oh well...got to go now.
Preacherwoman

Olathe, KS

#2 Jul 27, 2008
RTX wrote:
What the hell kind of name is "Tavis Smiley"? Oh well...got to go now.
I don't know what kind of name "Tavis Smiley " is, however, many Blacks are being to feel that he is doing everything he can to under-mind Obama.

He may be on an oratorical roll but there is not much difference between him and Jessie Jackson.

Frankly, it's becoming clear they are both jealous of Obama, and that's a shame!
tiredofthecrapin America

Jamestown, ND

#3 Jul 27, 2008
Why is it that anyone who disagrees with Obama is automatically dubbed a racist? Maybe Obama just plain sucks; did anyone ever think of that?
REAL CONSCIENCE

Santa Clarita, CA

#4 Jul 27, 2008
"Smiley found himself between race and a hard place when he criticized Obama on-air for choosing not to appear on Smiley's annual State of the Black Union cablecast on C-SPAN in February."

So, is this what the problem is about--Obama wouldn't appear on his show? What an idiot--Tavis Smiley. You know, I remember a few years ago he wrote a book, sorry I've forgotten the title, but I remember it addressed black issues. Smiley was asked if he included black conservatives in his book and he said, "No" and that he didn't want their input. Why not?!! I remember thinking he was an idiot whose beliefs would only hold back the black community. I didn't like him from that moment. His way of doing things is outdated.

Sen. Obama has never said there was no racism. This country has come a long way, yet, still has some ways to go and I believe we will get there.

Well, I won't watch his dopey show anymore, you can believe that.
REAL CONSCIENCE

Santa Clarita, CA

#5 Jul 27, 2008
tiredofthecrapinAmerica wrote:
Why is it that anyone who disagrees with Obama is automatically dubbed a racist? Maybe Obama just plain sucks; did anyone ever think of that?
I don't believe that a person is a racist because they don't agree with Obama. I haven't made up my mind that I'm going to vote for him but, if you disagree, do so on the issues. However, I'm sure you are not naive, you know there ARE those who will not vote for him because he's black.

Alot of people got it wrong with the Jesse Jackson issue. For a black man--Jesse, the self-proclaimed civil rights worker to even utter castrating anyone, let alone another black man, something that was threatened upon black men during Jim Crow and then for this person, Jesse, to refer to the people he claims to want to uplift as n's is astonishing. Both actions show Rev.(?) to be exactly what I've always known him to be. Trash!!

However issue on this forum is Tavis Smiley's issue with Obama. I have already stated my comments.
REAL CONSCIENCE

Santa Clarita, CA

#6 Jul 27, 2008
Preacherwoman wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what kind of name "Tavis Smiley " is, however, many Blacks are being to feel that he is doing everything he can to under-mind Obama.
He may be on an oratorical roll but there is not much difference between him and Jessie Jackson.
Frankly, it's becoming clear they are both jealous of Obama, and that's a shame!
Yes, it is a shame but, unfortunately, it is a disease that plagues the black community. We 'say' we want progression and to be successful, then when someone is, alot of blacks become jealous and spew venom!
J Johns

Brockville, Canada

#7 Jul 27, 2008
Tavis came to the University of Buffalo for a "Distinguished Speaker" event (a couple of years back) and was absolutely embarassing. I don't knoow what he was paid, but it was way too much. His "speech" was a Rap Brown,(1960's) rip-off about "challenging the system" to get "your booty" (or some such thing). How that was ever a part of Tavis' life is the big mystery - he had all the big breaks, despite an interviewing (and speaking) talent that is lack-luster, at best. Way to go Tavis! P.S. Listen to Charlie Rose or Bill Moyers - you can only get better.
REAL CONSCIENCE

Santa Clarita, CA

#8 Jul 27, 2008
J Johns wrote:
Tavis came to the University of Buffalo for a "Distinguished Speaker" event (a couple of years back) and was absolutely embarassing. I don't knoow what he was paid, but it was way too much. His "speech" was a Rap Brown,(1960's) rip-off about "challenging the system" to get "your booty" (or some such thing). How that was ever a part of Tavis' life is the big mystery - he had all the big breaks, despite an interviewing (and speaking) talent that is lack-luster, at best. Way to go Tavis! P.S. Listen to Charlie Rose or Bill Moyers - you can only get better.
Sounds as though you may as well had Snoop Dogg as the guest speaker. Foshizzle!
Concerned Black Citizen

San Francisco, CA

#9 Jul 28, 2008
I thought Tavis was a Liberal Democrat but he's going after Barrack when I've yet to hear him say anything of John McCain. John McCain is getting a free pass and all he is doing is criticizing Barrack Obama but I've yet to hear from him on what he plans to bring to the table other than to continue to have our troops stay in Iraq. He knows nothing of the Economy and his attempt to bring about changes in our immigration system failed horribly. The only thing John McCain has going for him is his status as an American War hero and that he supported the surge when it was unpopular and now it appears the surge is working but violence has escalated in Afghanistan.

I wonder whom Tavis is speaking to when he speaks ill of Barrack because it sure isn't the Black community. Maybe Tavis has forgotten that Barrack has over 90% of the Black vote and I don't think nothing is going to change that number so I guess Tavis is appeasing his White audience.

Tavis has every right to ask tough questions of Barrack and is not in any way obligated to support him and we, as Blacks should respect that. We need to stop jumping on other Blacks just because they are not going along with the agenda. Don't you think that is part of our problem? This same crap is going on right in our communities today when some kids are afraid to excel in school and get an education because that is not the norm where they come from. Let's rid ourselves of this type of thinking and progress. Free your minds.
Bottle Rocket

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Jul 28, 2008
If I voted for John McCain simply because he is white, that would make me a racist.

If a black person votes for Obama simply because he is black...what does that make the black person?
Concerned Black Citizen

San Francisco, CA

#11 Jul 28, 2008
Bottle Rocket wrote:
If I voted for John McCain simply because he is white, that would make me a racist.
If a black person votes for Obama simply because he is black...what does that make the black person?
Who said Blacks were voting for Obama just because he part Black? Are you assuming Blacks are not informed on the issues that will affect this country? I would hope you give us more credit than that. Are there Blacks who will vote for Obama because he is Black? I'd have to say sure. Are there Whites who are going to vote for John McCain because he is White? I'd say sure so that leaves us nowhere.

The thing is Barrack has gotten support of Whites and Latinos along with Blacks and that is why he is where he's at now. If Barrack had only had the support of Blacks he would not have made it this far for sure.

“That's not CHOCOLATE, dummy!”

Since: Jul 08

...Classic!

#12 Jul 28, 2008
Concerned Black Citizen wrote:
I thought Tavis was a Liberal Democrat but he's going after Barrack when I've yet to hear him say anything of John McCain. John McCain is getting a free pass and all he is doing is criticizing Barrack Obama but I've yet to hear from him on what he plans to bring to the table other than to continue to have our troops stay in Iraq. He knows nothing of the Economy and his attempt to bring about changes in our immigration system failed horribly. The only thing John McCain has going for him is his status as an American War hero and that he supported the surge when it was unpopular and now it appears the surge is working but violence has escalated in Afghanistan.
I wonder whom Tavis is speaking to when he speaks ill of Barrack because it sure isn't the Black community. Maybe Tavis has forgotten that Barrack has over 90% of the Black vote and I don't think nothing is going to change that number so I guess Tavis is appeasing his White audience.
Tavis has every right to ask tough questions of Barrack and is not in any way obligated to support him and we, as Blacks should respect that. We need to stop jumping on other Blacks just because they are not going along with the agenda. Don't you think that is part of our problem? This same crap is going on right in our communities today when some kids are afraid to excel in school and get an education because that is not the norm where they come from. Let's rid ourselves of this type of thinking and progress. Free your minds.
Here, since you're not going to lift a finger to find it yourself (that would be political SUICIDE, right?)
http://usconservatives.about.com/od/johnmccai...

Now, Is there ANYTHING, BESIDES "Si, se Puede" from YOU guys?

...Classic!

#13 Jul 28, 2008
I mean SOME people THINK just because they SAY McCain has no platform, THAT makes it true. But GOD FORBID a bad word be spoken against the Great Unifier, who doesn't know how many states he wants to be in charge of, what the PROPER behavior during the national anthem is, or why it isn't smart to tell foriegners "I know I don't LOOK like other Americans..."

...Classic!

#14 Jul 28, 2008
Concerned Black Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said Blacks were voting for Obama just because he part Black?...
Nobody.
He asked "IF"....

“"Ridding the world of dummies"”

Since: Jan 08

"The District"

#15 Jul 28, 2008
Some people will vote for Obama because he is Black. That just a fact. Likewise, some people will not vote for him because he is Black. Millions of voters vote, but are clueless about the issues and the policies of candidates. Bush got votes just because he looked like a "cowboy" and "someone you could drink a beer with"...7 1/2 years later, those people wish they could take back their vote. Unfortunately, voting for some is no different from selection an American Idol candidate...a popularity contest. Tavis Smiley is a brilliant man he is is dumb when it comes to politics. Obama knows that racism is such a taboo and touchy topic, he does not want to get bogged down with defending racial issues. He does not want to be stereotyped as the "race candidate". He knows that the best way to appeal to white voters is to appear non-confrontational. Once he is is president, he can slowly interject his philosphy and doctrine as in pertains to race, but he must do it delicately as not to labeled as a "race bater" People are looking for ANYTHING to pin Obama down on...he ain't having it! He is toooooo smart to fall for the trap. Does Tavis Smiley know that if Obama made race a central theme in his campaign, he would not be the nominee today? Obama is no fool.

“Do You Think I Should Diet?”

Since: Apr 08

Where my heart is...

#16 Jul 28, 2008
Tavis is so selfish! If you don't like his views or decline any invitations [put forth by Tavis] you're no longer liked and shunned upon. Such a crybaby! I really do believe that Tom Joyner gave Tavis an 'un-aired' opinion regarding BO and Tavis just said the hell with it and decided to quit giving commentaries on the Tom Joyner Morning Show(soon to be gone Tavis!)
Bro

Seattle, WA

#17 Jul 28, 2008
tiredofthecrapinAmerica wrote:
Obama does not suck. People don't like him because he is Black, period!!

...Classic!

#18 Jul 28, 2008
Bro wrote:
<quoted text> Obama does not suck. People don't like him because he is Black, period!!
Wrong. I wouldn't vote for a white man who thinks there's 57 states, or disrespects the American flag either.
Question...are you that ignorant ignorant because your black?

“Today, Forever!!!”

Since: Mar 08

Philadelphia, PA

#19 Jul 28, 2008
Smiley represents the "old guard". They claim "they" know what is right for the so-called black community, yet all they have is more problems and conditions and no solutions. We as a viable and sustainable race/collective of people, must find out the real truth concerning our heritage, and place of belonging in the Americas (now called America). Until we do, the Smiley's of the world will always control and lead us to our enemies door. See, they make their living off of our ignorance, and as long as we stay ignorant, the Smiley's of the world can "eat" at our (the miseducated masses of so-called black people's) expense. So, you see; there is a method to their madness: keep us down and ignorant for the status-quo, so they can continue to appear as the leaders and saviours of the so-called black people. They are the biggest "wolves in sheep's clothing" Are we ready to learn? Until we are ready to learn our reality, and live that reality, and sweep out those who don't uphold that reality, we will continue to get what we have always gotten: "The short end of the stick, delievered by our own so-called people.

“Non-whining conservative woman”

Midwest Town

#20 Jul 29, 2008
Bro wrote:
<quoted text> Obama does not suck. People don't like him because he is Black, period!!
Oh grow up! You can't be serious. Maybe in the backwoods of Appalachia that's true, but no free thinking, educated intelligent American (if there are any left!) is voting strictly because of race.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Tavis Smiley Show Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Karen Grigsby Bates (Jan '11) Jan '11 Fora 1
Prince opens up to public TV's Tavis Smiley (Apr '09) Apr '09 Gloria Carter 1
Self-proclaimed experts exploit ignorance of Islam (Apr '07) Apr '09 muslim 63
Rahm Emanuel grilled by NBC "Meet the Press" ho... (Feb '09) Mar '09 John M 4
Tavis Smiley's Big Weekend: The State of the Bl... (Feb '09) Feb '09 Da 9th Element 9
Radio Host Says Tavis Smiley May Have Left Show... (Nov '08) Nov '08 TARA WALTON 1
Talk-show host Tavis Smiley tackles Obama and race (Jul '08) Jul '08 Question Authority 7
•••
•••

The Tavis Smiley Show People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••