Actor faces upstate DUI charge

Actor faces upstate DUI charge

There are 45 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Jan 6, 2009, titled Actor faces upstate DUI charge. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

Actor Rip Torn has pleaded not guilty to drunken-driving charges in Connecticut, nearly two years after being fined and losing his license for similar charges in New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
casual observer

Ansonia, CT

#2 Jan 6, 2009
Rip must have been really ripped. Google "Rip Torn " and his most recent mug shot comes up. You can almost smell the booze on him.
casual observer

Ansonia, CT

#3 Jan 6, 2009
Jack Daniels

Bronx, NY

#4 Jan 7, 2009
Wow...that mug shot is terrible!.......I need a drink
tdowen

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Jan 7, 2009
So why is it a big deal because it is him??

Over 3000 DUI arrests Statewide in CT in 2008.
Did everyone of those make the headlines with Full name and details.

Not likely!!

Since: May 08

United States

#6 Jan 7, 2009
casual observer wrote:
Rip must have been really ripped. Google "Rip Torn " and his most recent mug shot comes up. You can almost smell the booze on him.
Is it scratch-n-sniff?

He is going to be more famous anymnore, for his mugshots w/drunk driving. I saw a video of when they arrested him & he went crazy-apeshit @ the officers & the camera. He was really in la la land. Oh, but famous people are allowed to get a slap on the wrist, & do 12-20 days in jail, right?
Considering the MAN is way over the blood alcohol limit-AGAIN...& also way over the age to know better-yeah, let's let him back out on the street, & give him a shortened sentence, or the famous: 18 months of community service & 2 years probation. Uh-huh, that won't kill any pedestrians or oncoming passengers in a car.
I love it. Famous people who can afford limos, & cabs(10X over)would rather put people's lives in jeopardy & thumb their noses @ the law.

United States

#7 Jan 7, 2009
tdowen wrote:
So why is it a big deal because it is him??
Over 3000 DUI arrests Statewide in CT in 2008.
Did everyone of those make the headlines with Full name and details.
Not likely!!
Read the valuable & valid points I just made, esp. in my last few sentences...then you'll have a clue.
Dont worry

United States

#8 Jan 7, 2009
You're rich and famous. No need to worry in the Corrupt CT Judicial system
drunk drivers are losers

New Rochelle, NY

#9 Jan 7, 2009
That's not fair to all of us innocent drivers on the road. He is NOT a first time DUI offender. Something needs to be done about this. I hope MADD gets involved
QB Scout- North Carolina

West Hartford, CT

#10 Jan 7, 2009
Rip Torn? Second rate, washed up faker !!!!Get him off of the road. I am fed up with "Actors" with entitlement issues. No quarter. Lock him up !!!!!
Area 51 Extra

Bridgeport, CT

#11 Jan 7, 2009
I heard he like's zuchini in the can.
Anne

Saddle Brook, NJ

#12 Jan 7, 2009
Get his butt off the road

“Registered & Dangerous”

Since: Jan 09

Milford, CT

#13 Jan 7, 2009
drunk drivers are losers wrote:
That's not fair to all of us innocent drivers on the road. He is NOT a first time DUI offender. Something needs to be done about this. I hope MADD gets involved
Maybe instead of sending them to jail where they learn nothing about alcoholism or recovery, they should try sending them to a type of rehab / lock down.

Therefore, they aren't getting off free but they aren't just going to jail and learning to become better criminals AND there is potential for a seed to be planted that as a repeat offender, they may suffer from alcoholism.

Thinking outside the box here.
tdowen

Philadelphia, PA

#14 Jan 8, 2009
M4Pathfinder wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the valuable & valid points I just made, esp. in my last few sentences...then you'll have a clue.
My question remains valid. Why is it HEADLINE news because he is a former Movie Actor?
He is certainly not the first offender to be indignant or combative in the lens of a Dash-Cam.

Most of your outburst is pure speculation. Your points are valid however, their value has yet to be determined. This IS his second offense and CT is not at all soft on DUI regardless if you are percieved to be "Famous"

Rip Torn is an old, washed up Actor and really is not all that "famous" anymore.

Before you allow your self to go off on some self righteous, long winded, speculative (at best) diatribe you, are the one who perhaps should "get a clue".

Since: Jan 09

West Hartford, CT

#16 Jan 8, 2009
Sir , you are misinformed regarding your comment that " They learn nothing about Alcoholism or Recovery in jail." Connecticut has Substance Abuse Programming in it's Department of Correction that many other states emulate. The "success rates" are as good as in the "Private Sector." The key to recovery is a willing participant. No program in the world will work if one does not work it !!!!
YESSS wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe instead of sending them to jail where they learn nothing about alcoholism or recovery, they should try sending them to a type of rehab / lock down.
Therefore, they aren't getting off free but they aren't just going to jail and learning to become better criminals AND there is potential for a seed to be planted that as a repeat offender, they may suffer from alcoholism.
Thinking outside the box here.

United States

#17 Jan 8, 2009
tdowen wrote:
<quoted text>
My question remains valid. Why is it HEADLINE news because he is a former Movie Actor?
He is certainly not the first offender to be indignant or combative in the lens of a Dash-Cam.
Most of your outburst is pure speculation. Your points are valid however, their value has yet to be determined. This IS his second offense and CT is not at all soft on DUI regardless if you are percieved to be "Famous"
Rip Torn is an old, washed up Actor and really is not all that "famous" anymore.
Before you allow your self to go off on some self righteous, long winded, speculative (at best) diatribe you, are the one who perhaps should "get a clue".
Give me a break. Because YOU think he is a washed up actor, your comments deserve more validation in here than mine?? Please.
It was not an outburst. Did you see me write in all caps? No, I think not. & before you go off to try to demean someone in here for their rebuttal of the subject at hand, like you're their parent, & have a condescending attitude, realize that it's not neccessary, by any means. I was clearly stating that alot of these actors, actresses, musicians, most of whom are so clearly old enough, need to have the book thrown at them.
Whether they are washed up(in some people's opinions), or not, the fact is that they will continue to do what they want when drinking & being on the road, even after having their license(s)have been taken away from them, because they have it in their minds that they are famous & a star & they will get preferential treatment.

Vehicular manslaughter is a serious crime & I have no sympathy for those who keep being repeat offenders of DUIs, when they know they need help & think they are exempt from any law. Have you had someone you know killed by a drunk driver?? I have--several. It's an awful thing. So, don't come down on me about any "outburst," in a Topix site.

United States

#18 Jan 8, 2009
& I still stand by the fact that remains to be so simple for these rich & famous people--HAIL a cab, or get a limo.
That's just plain easy right there.

“Kneel before Zod”

Since: Apr 07

NY

#19 Jan 8, 2009
tdowen wrote:
<quoted text>
Rip Torn is an old, washed up Actor and really is not all that "famous" anymore...
Go to IMDB and look at all of his work. I didn't realize that he was in over 175 movies and tv shows.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001800/
The reason it's a headline is becasue he is famous. That is the price you pay for being famous. That's just the way it is and will always be.

United States

#20 Jan 8, 2009
General Zod wrote:
<quoted text>
Go to IMDB and look at all of his work. I didn't realize that he was in over 175 movies and tv shows.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001800/
The reason it's a headline is becasue he is famous. That is the price you pay for being famous. That's just the way it is and will always be.
Yeah, & he has been in alot of movies over the last 5 years+ & has some to be released in 2009, & I think one for 2010, so he isn't washed up. It's always the ones who have no clue, as I said,..who love to call a celeb washed up. They are usually the first ones to do that.
tdowen

Philadelphia, PA

#21 Jan 8, 2009
M4Pathfinder wrote:
<quoted text>
Give me a break. Because YOU think he is a washed up actor, your comments deserve more validation in here than mine?? Please.
It was not an outburst. Did you see me write in all caps? No, I think not. & before you go off to try to demean someone in here for their rebuttal of the subject at hand, like you're their parent, & have a condescending attitude, realize that it's not neccessary, by any means. I was clearly stating that alot of these actors, actresses, musicians, most of whom are so clearly old enough, need to have the book thrown at them.
Whether they are washed up(in some people's opinions), or not, the fact is that they will continue to do what they want when drinking & being on the road, even after having their license(s)have been taken away from them, because they have it in their minds that they are famous & a star & they will get preferential treatment.
Vehicular manslaughter is a serious crime & I have no sympathy for those who keep being repeat offenders of DUIs, when they know they need help & think they are exempt from any law. Have you had someone you know killed by a drunk driver?? I have--several. It's an awful thing. So, don't come down on me about any "outburst," in a Topix site.
You remind me of the Pot calling the Kettle black.

I asked a simple question about why it was deserving of a headline because he is an actor. YOU responded regailing us of your "valid" and "valuable" points as if I was supposed to take your opinion as Gospel.
Then you had the nerve to deliver a sanctimonious and condescending remark telling me to get a clue.

I acknowledged your "valid" points but disagreed that they were "valuable".
So sorry for your bad luck, get off your high Horse. My opinions are as "valid" as your's, like it or not. The main differance is that I espouse my opinions for exactly what they are opinions, unlike you!!

Your diatribe was not the simple claim that they should have the book thrown at them!! It was an outburst of the most speculative type (and it does not need to be all in Caps to be viewed as an outburst)claiming that IN FACT that he was going to get of literally scott free or with some minimal penalty simply because he is Celebrity.

{quote]"the fact is that they will continue to do what they want when drinking & being on the road, even after having their license(s)have been taken away from them, because they have it in their minds that they are famous & a star & they will get preferential treatment."[unquote]

You did it in the above quote. This is your OPINION and is nothing more than speculatiuon. You may be right but you cant state it as if it were FACT and have everyone or anyone agree. I rebutted your opinion and you took offense, again, climb the heck down off your soapbox!!

Do you read your own writing, or do you just make it up as you go along and then disregard it's actual contents when someone challenges it?

And yes, I have lost both friends and a Relative to Drunk drivers so I am no stranger to the emotion that goes along with it!!

United States

#22 Jan 8, 2009
It has happened time & time again. Even though our media is not giving the whole story, & try to dumb us down majority of the time w/their drivel they feed us, we have all seen so many times, the same stars in the news for drunk driving, & yet they get a slap on the wrist. I don't expect everyone to agree w/me. It seems that I have to get flack for my opinions in here because I am outspoken & see things for the monotony it is.

So much for speculation. It happens all the time. Everyone sees it, & I know there are a ton of people who are guessing what will happen as I do. It's bound to happen, whether I am on a soapbox or not. They have their certain freedoms, & limitations. Now, in this day & age, with all the coverage of drinking & driving & MADD, & DARE foundations, you'd think people would wake up. Not so. The ones who are out there in the public eye, are so ignorant to the facts of all the damage & reprocussions that this causes & sorry, but they deserve what they get. They will get a mugshot shown in the media, they will have stories printed about them over & over & it is just what happens w/fame. So, I don't feel sorry for them, especially those who have children, & like Tracy Gold-had them in the vehicle WITH her.

I do read what I write, yes, so no need for sarcasm there. Rebuttals are welcome in here. But, you didn't seem to have a clue as to who the man was you are talking about(washed up), & why his story was news, if you understand about DUIs. He has the money to 'not' drive. Plain & simple.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Larry Sanders Show Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Torn pleads not guilty to drunken driving (Jan '09) Sep '13 Leo Aydlett 3
Favorite Character? (Jul '13) Jul '13 Michael 1
News Court Records: Torn So Intoxicated Thought Bank... (Feb '10) Aug '12 Marnie 8
News More than a decade after it ended, 'Larry Sande... (Nov '10) Nov '10 Larry 2
News Hey Now! Shout Factory Plans Larry Sanders Show... (Apr '10) Apr '10 Leif 1
News We know her as a smart alec comedy foil, but Ja... (Aug '09) Aug '09 frog 2
News '24's' smackdown between Chloe and Janis (Jan '09) Jan '09 FormerNYPD 1
More from around the web