TV Ratings: CBS Laughs It Up Monday -...

TV Ratings: CBS Laughs It Up Monday - All four of the network's...

There are 31 comments on the Zap2it.com story from Dec 16, 2008, titled TV Ratings: CBS Laughs It Up Monday - All four of the network's.... In it, Zap2it.com reports that:

Kaley Cuoco of 'The Big Bang Theory' Fast National ratings for Monday, Dec. 15, 2008 CBS' comedy block racked up more strong ratings Monday, with all four shows setting season-high numbers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Zap2it.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 08

Wayland, MA

#1 Dec 16, 2008
I never thought I'd see the day that "Chuck" and "Heroes" would get the same rating.
Rena Moretti

Riverside, CA

#2 Dec 16, 2008
Heroes is now officially a bomb.

Don't worry fans, Ben Silverman is essentially wedded to the idea Heroes is a hit so it'll probably come back, maybe taking a page from Lost making it a mid-season show with no re-runs... ;)
Rena Moretti

Riverside, CA

#3 Dec 16, 2008
And Chuck has been a bomb essentially from Day One. Another example of what happens when you hire "buzzed about" producers like Josh Schwartz.
Strait Butta

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Dec 16, 2008
Chuck is far from being a bomb, it has been improving every week.

I am surprised with the audience that Worst Week is able to maintain. Especially when they only have a few more episodes to air and no mention of it being picked up for a full season.
Rena Moretti

Riverside, CA

#5 Dec 16, 2008
Strait Butta wrote:
Chuck is far from being a bomb, it has been improving every week.
I am surprised with the audience that Worst Week is able to maintain. Especially when they only have a few more episodes to air and no mention of it being picked up for a full season.
I'm not sure which "Chuck" you're referring to because the "Chuck" I know has been mired with the same bad ratings give or take ever since it premiered. NBC keeps saying to anyone who'd listen that "just you wait" and it will blossom, but it hasn't and I'll make the difficult prediction that it won't.

Any show with such consistently low ratings is rightly called a "bomb" in my book.
Dan

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Dec 16, 2008
Well the only reason its still on is because NBC likes it and it does better than most of the other new or sophomore shows on the network this year (Life, Lipstick Jungle, Knight Rider, Crusoe, My Own Worst Enemy) SO if NBC would cancel Chuck they would have to let all of those shows go to, and then they would have nothing. And when all the other shows which once did well, are slumping,(Law & Order, L&O: SVU, ER, Heroes) More than likely its NBCs fault.
Liz

AOL

#7 Dec 16, 2008
It's incredible that the true comedies on NBC get low ratings and the crap that passes for comedies on CBS get high ratings. It sure doesn't reflect well on the viewing audience.
josie

Union, SC

#8 Dec 16, 2008
Don't sweat Heroes. The key numbers are still pretty high. It's good to go for next season (even w/ Lenp eating up five hours of primetime) Just expect a mass murder by the end of the season as Kring is forced to kill off half his budget.
Shawn

Clarkston, MI

#9 Dec 16, 2008
I fell in love with "Heroes" Season 1. So much in fact that I actually looked forward to watching The Petrelli Bros. moreso than Jack Bauer's latest Monday Night Torture Antics...

Something went TERRIBLY wrong during Season 2 when some idiot decided to pander moreso towards the female demographic. No disrespect to women, but there is NO WAY IN HELL that a tv show exploiting people with "abilities" ahem "super powers" would possibly put so much focus into relationships without a dumb ass executive or two forgetting that...

A. Comic Book Readers generally do no give a damn about blossoming "GENUINE" relationships which DO take place over time and do not take precedence in the overall storytelling. THIS IS NOT GOSSIP GIRL...

B. A loyal comic audience does not give a rat's ass about the latest soccer mom Nissan mobile which was so OBVIOUSLY written into the script to generate profit from product placement.

...And just how many times are we going to see Sylar die? Such a promising show in its infacy...not it's just a full grown piece of shit excuse for NBC programming.
Shawn

Clarkston, MI

#10 Dec 16, 2008
josie wrote:
Don't sweat Heroes. The key numbers are still pretty high. It's good to go for next season (even w/ Lenp eating up five hours of primetime) Just expect a mass murder by the end of the season as Kring is forced to kill off half his budget.
Actually that's supposed to happen in January.

I've never EVER seen a show that seemed so AFRAID to kill off such unnecessary characters.

Thank God for "24" and "Lost".
Shawn

Clarkston, MI

#11 Dec 16, 2008
Oops...I meant February.
MDC

Oak Brook, IL

#12 Dec 16, 2008
I am not surprised that BIG BANG THEORY continues to pull higher numbers week after week. It is, next to 30 ROCK, the best comedy on TV.
Martian

Hyattsville, MD

#13 Dec 16, 2008
http://syfyportal.com/news425657.html

Maybe it's time NBC takes a look at when it airs "Heroes," because a good portion of its audience doesn't like to tune in to the live broadcast.
In fact, "Heroes" had the biggest audience gain of any other series from Jan. 1 to the end of last month when it came to DVR and TiVO, increasing its audience base by 35 percent.

The survey comes from The Nielsen Co., the parent organization of Nielsen Media Research, which provides television ratings data to the networks. "Fringe" on Fox was close behind, getting a 26 percent jump from its live viewership from people who decided to record the show and watch it later.
Rena Moretti

Riverside, CA

#14 Dec 16, 2008
Dan wrote:
Well the only reason its still on is because NBC likes it and it does better than most of the other new or sophomore shows on the network this year (Life, Lipstick Jungle, Knight Rider, Crusoe, My Own Worst Enemy) SO if NBC would cancel Chuck they would have to let all of those shows go to, and then they would have nothing. And when all the other shows which once did well, are slumping,(Law & Order, L&O: SVU, ER, Heroes) More than likely its NBCs fault.
Totally correct: All those under-performing shows can be laid out at the feet of Jeff Zucker. His unerring instainct for picking what the public won't watch is a marvel of our time. ;)
Rena Moretti

Riverside, CA

#15 Dec 16, 2008
Liz wrote:
It's incredible that the true comedies on NBC get low ratings and the crap that passes for comedies on CBS get high ratings. It sure doesn't reflect well on the viewing audience.
I could not disagree more. NBC's comedies are, on average, fairly poorly made. The Office in particular is a case study on how not to shoot a TV show.

Most of all, they're not all that funny, which is the main reason they're not all that watched, IMO.
Rena Moretti

Riverside, CA

#16 Dec 16, 2008
josie wrote:
Its main asset is that it's on NBC where failed shows don't get canceled.:(
Rena Moretti

Riverside, CA

#17 Dec 16, 2008
Shawn wrote:
B. A loyal comic audience does not give a rat's ass about the latest soccer mom Nissan mobile which was so OBVIOUSLY written into the script to generate profit from product placement.
...And just how many times are we going to see Sylar die? Such a promising show in its infancy...not it's just a full grown piece of shit excuse for NBC programming.
I do agree with you 100% about the product placement. It's gross and makes you want to turn off the TV. Too bad Ben Silverman thinks it's a great idea...:(
Rena Moretti

Riverside, CA

#18 Dec 16, 2008
Martian wrote:
http://syfyportal.com/news4256 57.html
Maybe it's time NBC takes a look at when it airs "Heroes," because a good portion of its audience doesn't like to tune in to the live broadcast.
In fact, "Heroes" had the biggest audience gain of any other series from Jan. 1 to the end of last month when it came to DVR and TiVO, increasing its audience base by 35 percent.
The survey comes from The Nielsen Co., the parent organization of Nielsen Media Research, which provides television ratings data to the networks. "Fringe" on Fox was close behind, getting a 26 percent jump from its live viewership from people who decided to record the show and watch it later.
Higher DVR viewership is a sign of weakness, not strength. People watch immediately shows that they can't wait to watch...

Also, which DVR numbers were those? Same day? 3 Days, 7 Days? There's many of those numbers and somehow NBC's PR manages to pick those that it thinks look better in order to spin its disastrous season.
Thorny

Decatur, IL

#19 Dec 17, 2008
Product placement is a red herring, in my opinion, but I guess it's because I've trained myself to ignore it unless it's so blatantly-obvious that it's impossible to miss (like a fire-engine red, neon-infused T-shirt that says DRINK COCA-COLA OR BE DAMNED TO HELL FOR ALL ETERNITY, MWA-HA-HA-HA!!!...or something like that). People who critique certain video games are often complaining about product placement, without realizing that in sports like racing, endorsements are how many racing teams are able to participate in the first place. With TV shows and movies, I generally figure that it's a part of reality that certain characters would drink things like Coke, or eat Godfather's pizza, or use Dawn dishwashing detergent. This is why I call it a red herring: until people point it out, a lot of times it goes unnoticed; but when it is pointed out, it automatically becomes a culprit, presuming that advertisers are trying to control the minds of the viewers (which may be true, but that's a different post). So it's not the product placement itself that is the problem, in my opinion; it's when people keep saying, "Ooh, look, look, there it is!"

It's like that old philosophy course joke where the professor tells his students to NOT think about a purple elephant...betcha you are now.:P
steve

Boston, MA

#20 Dec 17, 2008
The only shows worth watching Monday nights are The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother and Heroes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Big Bang Theory Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
About the unaired pilot episode of The Big Bang... Dec 26 wqeqwe 4
News CBS optimistic about cast talks for more 'Big B... Aug '16 They Cost Too Much 1
News Kaley Cuoco advises people not to get wedding t... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Go Blue Forever 1
News The Big Bang Theory's Mayim Bialik Talks Amy an... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Buffy 2
News Simon Helberg's fatherly dreams for The Big Ban... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Kid_Tomorrow 1
News Jennifer Lopez and Rihanna Talk About Guest Sta... (Mar '15) Mar '15 entertainmenttv 2
News Kaley Cuoco fails to cause a BANG in oversized,... (Feb '14) Mar '15 ericdevezin 4
More from around the web