TV ratings: CBS makes the biggest 'Ba...

TV ratings: CBS makes the biggest 'Bang' Monday - 'Theory,' 'Tw...

There are 15 comments on the Zap2it.com story from Aug 18, 2009, titled TV ratings: CBS makes the biggest 'Bang' Monday - 'Theory,' 'Tw.... In it, Zap2it.com reports that:

Fast National ratings for Monday, Aug. 17, 2009 Monday's ratings played out the same way they have for most of the summer, with CBS leading the way thanks to its comedies "Two and a Half Men" and "The Big Bang Theory." CBS averaged 6.6 million viewers and a 4.4 rating/7 share in households to lead a fairly quiet evening on the broadcast networks.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Zap2it.com.

Rena Moretti

Alhambra, CA

#1 Aug 18, 2009
So Gossip Girl still can't match the ratings of the long-in-the-tooth One Tree Hill...

In other news (and for Melissa), Mad Men debuted to lilliputian numbers (and boastful PR releases - I mean articles) once again, showing that buying yourself a bunch of award doesn't result in all that much action at the Nielsen Box. ;)
Zen

Alexandria, VA

#2 Aug 18, 2009
The Big Bang Theory is bar none my families favorite show!
EDell

Lasalle, Canada

#3 Aug 18, 2009
And as a side note, last week's Top 25 was comprised of 17 unscripted shows and only 8 scripted ones. But the real story is that all 8 were on one network - CBS. The other four networks had every one of their scripted shows totally shut out of the Top 25. Yep, CBS will win the 2009-10 season hands down, no doubt about it. Personally, I think all the networks should just skip the upcoming season and move on to 2010-11 right now.
Rena Moretti

Alhambra, CA

#4 Aug 18, 2009
EDell wrote:
And as a side note, last week's Top 25 was comprised of 17 unscripted shows and only 8 scripted ones. But the real story is that all 8 were on one network - CBS. The other four networks had every one of their scripted shows totally shut out of the Top 25. Yep, CBS will win the 2009-10 season hands down, no doubt about it. Personally, I think all the networks should just skip the upcoming season and move on to 2010-11 right now.
That's a great catch, Edell!:)

What a telling statistic!

It remains a constant source of amazement to me how the other networks continue to ignore the lessons taught by CBS (and USA on cable) and continue their losing mixture of over-hyped shows produced by flavors of the day that never produce hits.
Rena Moretti

Alhambra, CA

#5 Aug 18, 2009
A propos of TV in general, I am getting very lukewarm about Being Human. The last episode was vapid, slow, poorly lit and generally a snoozefest. OCGirl, you may not need to purchase that cable package after all. ;)

I caught an episode of Hawthorne and I am amazed it's getting even the low ratings it's getting. Re-shooting an old Dr. Kildare would probably result in a script that's more up-to-date and insightful about contemporary society than what I saw.

Jada Pinkett-Smith is disastrous in the title role and her part as 'little-ms-perfect' is very close to being unplayable anyway as it's as vapid as it is annoying.

It's really a testimony to decisions made on the last name of the producer (in that case Smith) that such a low-rated show with no potential I could see is going to weigh down TNT's schedule next year.

With The Closer ebbing seriously, TNT is in need of a new tentpole and renewing shows like Hawthorne just because you want to play nice with Will Smith ain't gonna get the job done.
Aaron R

Decatur, IL

#6 Aug 19, 2009
What's interesting is that Mercy seems to have a character nearly identical to Hawthorne, which makes me wonder if Hawthorne will do mildly-snide comments about that show when it returns for its second season, the same way Psych is doing about The Mentalist. At least Psych is just poking fun; I wouldn't be surprised to see a lawsuit come against the creators of Mercy for one reason or other.
Rena Moretti

Alhambra, CA

#7 Aug 19, 2009
Aaron R wrote:
What's interesting is that Mercy seems to have a character nearly identical to Hawthorne, which makes me wonder if Hawthorne will do mildly-snide comments about that show when it returns for its second season, the same way Psych is doing about The Mentalist. At least Psych is just poking fun; I wouldn't be surprised to see a lawsuit come against the creators of Mercy for one reason or other.
You've made me curious. What would make you think so?

About snide comments, it's a well-known fact that Nurse Hawthorne is too busy being an angel to patients, a perfect mom to her children, a role model for the staff and a moral compass to the Hospital, she doesn't have time for snide comments (fortunately, I do have time ;))
Rena Moretti

Alhambra, CA

#8 Aug 19, 2009
Of course, the really funny thing is that Psych is Monk with a fake psychic. ;)
Aaron R

Decatur, IL

#9 Aug 20, 2009
I was thinking more of Remington Steele with a fake psychic, rather than a fake detective, but that works too. :P
Rena Moretti

Santa Ana, CA

#10 Aug 20, 2009
Aaron R wrote:
I was thinking more of Remington Steele with a fake psychic, rather than a fake detective, but that works too.:P
Maybe Lethal Weapon with a Fake Psychic (and if they were Private Eyes!) ;)
Alan 59

Albany, NY

#11 Aug 22, 2009
Rena Moretti wrote:
I caught an episode of Hawthorne and I am amazed it's getting even the low ratings it's getting. Re-shooting an old Dr. Kildare would probably result in a script that's more up-to-date and insightful about contemporary society than what I saw.
Jada Pinkett-Smith is disastrous in the title role and her part as 'little-ms-perfect' is very close to being unplayable anyway as it's as vapid as it is annoying.
It's really a testimony to decisions made on the last name of the producer (in that case Smith) that such a low-rated show with no potential I could see is going to weigh down TNT's schedule next year.
With The Closer ebbing seriously, TNT is in need of a new tentpole and renewing shows like Hawthorne just because you want to play nice with Will Smith ain't gonna get the job done.
I've watched all but one of the ten episodes of "HawthoRNe," and wasn't remotely as negative about any of them as you were. But differing opinions can be just as valid (or so I hear).

I'm not sure where the last paragraph is coming from. "The Closer" just led another week on the cable chart (which it admittedly hasn't done with regularity this season). Is this "serious ebbing" another one of those qualitative judgements that only you can perceive?

If TNT is indeed looking for "a new tentpole," then they may as well buy a divining rod. They piddled around for years because they couldn't find a series that they considered good enough for them, then they lucked into the most successful series in the history of cable. Since then, they've bought a lot more series, a few of which have been good ("Leverage"), many of which have been flawed, and too many of which have been appalling ("Raising The Bar" and that "Rescue Me" rip-off - I believe they called it "Saved").
TNT has aired six series this summer, but they still have only one hit. They have no taste in material, or any definable vision. It's always worth checking out a TNT pilot, because you never knew what quality you're going to get, but you should be prepared to drop out quickly.
Aaron R

Decatur, IL

#12 Aug 23, 2009
TNT's problem is that they try to hard to be "up-to-date" and "edgy," when most of the time they're just shrill and redundant. I use Mark-Paul Gosselaar (however that's spelled) and his awful hairdo in the first season of Raising the Bar as a microcosm of TNT's usual line-up: something that was hip awhile back, but not now; something that is hyped up and "buzzed" about more than it needs to be; something that should be done away with, but is kept around for much longer than it needs to be, for no other reason than there is nothing better with which to replace it.

I agree with Alan, then, that TNT's method of finding hit series is to throw darts at an array of three-by-five cards, and whichever ones are punctured, become the new summer series, whether or not they're any good to start with.
Aaron R

Decatur, IL

#13 Aug 23, 2009
That should be "they try TOO hard," not "TO hard." Snarl, hiss, growl...
Rena Moretti

Alhambra, CA

#14 Aug 23, 2009
Alan 59 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've watched all but one of the ten episodes of "HawthoRNe," and wasn't remotely as negative about any of them as you were. But differing opinions can be just as valid (or so I hear).
I'm not sure where the last paragraph is coming from. "The Closer" just led another week on the cable chart (which it admittedly hasn't done with regularity this season). Is this "serious ebbing" another one of those qualitative judgements that only you can perceive?
If TNT is indeed looking for "a new tentpole," then they may as well buy a divining rod. They piddled around for years because they couldn't find a series that they considered good enough for them, then they lucked into the most successful series in the history of cable. Since then, they've bought a lot more series, a few of which have been good ("Leverage"), many of which have been flawed, and too many of which have been appalling ("Raising The Bar" and that "Rescue Me" rip-off - I believe they called it "Saved").
TNT has aired six series this summer, but they still have only one hit. They have no taste in material, or any definable vision. It's always worth checking out a TNT pilot, because you never knew what quality you're going to get, but you should be prepared to drop out quickly.
I entirely agree with you on TNT's taste for hits. It really does look like The Closer is a happy accident rather than the result of a concerted strategy.

As for The Closer ebbing, their last week was more like Old Times, but they sued to attract 9 million viewers at the height and this year they have fallen to 6-7 million, which is a big fall (admittedly from great heights).

It is similar to what CSI went through as it went from 30 million to 20 million viewers: this was quite a big loss of viewers that was hidden by the fact it was falling from such a dominant position.

The ebbing quality of CSI caused the ebbing of the ratings, and I think the same thing is at work on The Closer.

I also agree on Saved, which I found unwatchable and sadly Raising The Bar, which I was totally pulling for and which was a major disappointment to me.:(
Rena Moretti

Alhambra, CA

#15 Aug 23, 2009
Aaron R wrote:
TNT's problem is that they try to hard to be "up-to-date" and "edgy," when most of the time they're just shrill and redundant. I use Mark-Paul Gosselaar (however that's spelled) and his awful hairdo in the first season of Raising the Bar as a microcosm of TNT's usual line-up: something that was hip awhile back, but not now; something that is hyped up and "buzzed" about more than it needs to be; something that should be done away with, but is kept around for much longer than it needs to be, for no other reason than there is nothing better with which to replace it.
I agree with Alan, then, that TNT's method of finding hit series is to throw darts at an array of three-by-five cards, and whichever ones are punctured, become the new summer series, whether or not they're any good to start with.
Gosselaar's hairdo was his smallest problem. His acting, on the other hand... Steven Bochco has a history of trying to redeem the careers of former child actors (like Ricky "Rick" Schroeder) which would be fine if he chose good actor who deserve a second career.

The scripts (at least the ones I saw) were also trying too hard to be "hip" (which is why I like early Bochco better - he was "hip and edgy" by being himself instead of trying to be with artificial elements like the shakycam and artificial slang of NYPD Blue).

I entirely agree that most of TNT's lineup is made to look "hip" to the press and the critics rather than appeal to viewers.

I'm not sure what the solution to that is, except to hire new executives, as I'm not holding my breath for the press starting to connect with real people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Big Bang Theory Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jennifer Lopez and Rihanna Talk About Guest Sta... Mar '15 entertainmenttv 2
News Kaley Cuoco fails to cause a BANG in oversized,... (Feb '14) Mar '15 ericdevezin 4
The change in [character] Penny :-/ (Feb '15) Feb '15 Clarence688 1
News 'The Big Bang Theory' react: Sheldon and Howard... (Nov '12) Feb '15 Clarence688 19
News The Big Bang Theory's Kaley Cuoco reveals simil... (Aug '13) Feb '15 Clarence688 2
Popular characters we never see on the show! (Aug '14) Feb '15 Clarence688 2
News Downey Jr wins big at People's Choice awards (Jan '15) Jan '15 Kid_Tomorrow 2
More from around the web