One small quibble with my co-owner, b...

One small quibble with my co-owner, before a farewell

There are 22 comments on the The Morning Call story from Jan 24, 2008, titled One small quibble with my co-owner, before a farewell. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

As a columnist, I was an affirmative action hire. I had been a reporter for 10 years but started working part-time as a copy editor after my first child was born.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Carpentershouldb enext

Allentown, PA

#1 Jan 24, 2008
Good riddance. Now for Carpenter's last column.
Tom Paine

Northampton, PA

#2 Jan 24, 2008
She, White and Carpenter write from different political points of view? Oh yeah, they disagree over whether George W Bush is the worst president of all time or just past 100 years. Here's a radical suggestion; if the Call wants some real diversity why don't they hire a conservative columnist.
Librarian

Whitehall, PA

#3 Jan 24, 2008
I'll miss your column. Seems like a short-sighted way to cut costs. Newspapers are rapidly becoming irrelevant - no, they ARE irrelevant - in terms of breaking news. The only thing that will keep people reading are the local voices, so if I owned a newspaper, I'd do all I could to keep my columnists.
yer jokin--right

Allentown, PA

#4 Jan 24, 2008
Librarian wrote:
I'll miss your column. Seems like a short-sighted way to cut costs. Newspapers are rapidly becoming irrelevant - no, they ARE irrelevant - in terms of breaking news. The only thing that will keep people reading are the local voices, so if I owned a newspaper, I'd do all I could to keep my columnists.
The Morning Call uses a tribe of local op ed columnists to make the opinion pages interesting. Of course they pay them chump change, if anything, and then they put their columns up on the web so anybody can us them without compensation to the writers. Maybe they should band together and "strike" on behalf of Margie. The "belt tightening" would have backfired, then, eh? Instead of rippin' off the local talent in the Mcall sweatshop, they can pay for George Will and Richard Cohen. Seems fair.

I just started reading Margie's columns over the last six months. They were actually worth reading and thinking about, unlike the carnival barker Carpenter. If the want to cut the dead wood, it should have been him. The whole game plan with Carpenter is to have him walk out onto the roof of the Mcall building and piss down on the passers by. This of course draws their attention, for a bit. When the attention fades, he comes out and pisses on them again. That's the formula--much better than an actual thinker like Margie, right? Wurlitzer Prize worthy.
7 day reader

Orange Park, FL

#5 Jan 24, 2008
It is a shame they are cutting Margie's column. It was one of the only reasons I read the paper.
lvh

Upper Black Eddy, PA

#6 Jan 24, 2008
Seems most of the latest MCall cuts have affected women. The boys remain pretty much secure in their jobs. Affirmative action at its best, eh?
Tom Paine

Northampton, PA

#7 Jan 24, 2008
lvh wrote:
Seems most of the latest MCall cuts have affected women. The boys remain pretty much secure in their jobs. Affirmative action at its best, eh?
Since all of the pale males like Ron Devlin were purged by the estrogen mafia, it would seem that turnabout is fair play.
Angry relative

Coopersburg, PA

#8 Jan 24, 2008
Some perspective, please. Ms. Peterson may have lost her column, but at least she still has a job, unlike a number of longtime newsroom employees shown the door at that newspaper --- men as well as women.
Howie

Allentown, PA

#10 Jan 24, 2008
Cant say this is a big loss to the paper's content. Columns were pretty much a bore
Herman

Coplay, PA

#11 Jan 25, 2008
Her columns were awful. Not that the other jokers are/were any better, though.

“Dirk Duncum”

Since: Feb 07

Allentown

#12 Jan 25, 2008
Tom Paine wrote:
She, White and Carpenter write from different political points of view? Oh yeah, they disagree over whether George W Bush is the worst president of all time or just past 100 years. Here's a radical suggestion; if the Call wants some real diversity why don't they hire a conservative columnist.
Paul Carpenter is a true Conservative! He's a Liberterian! He endorsed Ken Sturzenacker when he ran for Liberterian Office in the 90's and he now probably endorses Ron Paul. But, I do not know for sure. Anyway Carpenter is a legend.

I never cared for Margie Peterson's puff piece writing but Im sure she's a nice woman otherwise.
BigMamma

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Jan 25, 2008
Gee, I like the new owner of the Morning Call already. Thank you, thank you for getting rid of Ms Peterson. What a waste of newsprint she was!!
reader

Whitehall, PA

#15 Jan 26, 2008
I am very, very sad to hear that Ms. Peterson's column will be cancelled. I have appreciated your columns since they began. They have been insightful, humorous, compassionate, and rational. I also like White's columns. Carpenter has lost his rationality, and therefore my respect.
MIYA BALL

Bethlehem, PA

#16 Jan 27, 2008
I'm hoping for a freelancer broad with some balls to take her spot..!
A fan of good writing

Allentown, PA

#17 Jan 27, 2008
Margie Peterson wrote an intelligent column that considered issues that touch our lives every day. If she wasn't as entertaining as Paul Carpenter, neither did she hold childish opinions or back a racist candidate for president. Most importantly, she did not consider her opinion the only one that had a right to exist; she welcomed Carpenter's outlandishness. In other words, she was mature, thoughtful, and above all, fair. That the Morning Call considers this kind of writing expendable, is both unfortunate and a sign of the times----reason bows to extremism everywhere these days.

“Howdy, Ya'll!”

Since: Feb 07

Allentown

#18 Jan 27, 2008
This last column of Margie's makes me believe she thinks her job should have been protected because she is a woman. Maybe I read it wrong, but isn't that her quibble?

You don't get a pass because you're a woman. In the world of newspapers, surely every writer/worker realizes their head might be next on the chopping block. In another 20 years, who's to say we'll even be getting delivery of an actual paper - after all, we're all reading a lot of it online already.

I'll miss Margie's column. I would've picked her to stay over Carpenter any day. But that would have made the calls about the "bias" at the Call even louder. Bill White, of course, is the King of Columnists here in the Valley, so he'll be the last to go, I'm sure. This decision sounds like it was all about business and NOT about politics, though. I wish Margie's final words had been a little different.
reader

Whitehall, PA

#19 Jan 27, 2008
MonkeyMomma wrote:
This last column of Margie's makes me believe she thinks her job should have been protected because she is a woman. Maybe I read it wrong, but isn't that her quibble?
That wasn't my impression. I think what she was arguing in favor of, ultimately, was diverse opinions, something sorely lacking in a contemporary newspaper.
anotherangle

Easton, PA

#20 Jan 28, 2008
Maybe they should just outsource all column writers jobs to India. Since who you are, your gender, your background, etc don't really matter. Copy editing is a more valuable use of her time? Okay then...one more reason for me to hate the morning call.
Joseph Lukachik

Pearl River, NY

#21 Feb 2, 2008
Diversity is the seed for increasing knowledge. Eliminating one contributioon to the "gene pool" for the sake of pinching nickles, makes me wonder what the new owner is afraid of.
Dawn

Emmaus, PA

#22 Mar 4, 2008
Your columns have delighted me for years. I enjoy all of the columnists at the Morning Call. You all approach your articles with common sense and wit. Some of your articles have invoked emotion when read. They touch base with my own personal feelings and beliefs. I will sorely miss you, not just because you offer a couple of things the others cannot (no matter how hard they try): a mother's point of view and a female's point of view. Feminism aside, I have to admit, mothers tend to have different views on the world compared with fathers and men in general. Perhaps we are hard-wired in that way. I don't try to seek a reason for it.

However, I feel that the Morning Call is making a grave mistake in letting you go. Do not give up on your wonderful editorial skills. It is refreshing to know you have always spoken from the heart. You have never tried to be something you aren't. Thank God you have always followed the beat of your own drummer, and not one of those cookie cutter columnists who only report on what everyone else is reporting on. Thank you for speaking for us real people. The ones who struggle to make ends meet. The ones who aren't afraid to cry while reading an article. The ones who seek out "down to earth" columnists like yourself. Thank you and I hope to find your columns again in the near future. I will miss you here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Like Conan's Tonight, 10 TV shows that got screwed (Mar '12) Mar '12 Millie 1
News Malina Lawyers Up for 'Numb3rs' (Apr '10) Apr '10 SorkinFan1 1
News Rob Thomas is Seeing Starz (May '09) May '09 pea0217 1
News 'Cupid' Arrow Finds Sarah Paulson - 'Studio 60'... (Apr '09) Apr '09 wendy 1
News 'D.L. Hughley Breaks the News': Roger Catlin | ... (Nov '08) Dec '08 Alex 2
News 'Laughter' still sharp for play that has gotten... (May '08) May '08 Ron Carter 1
News Hughley is 'Unapologetic' during comedy tour (Mar '08) Mar '08 hyaleigh hughley 1
More from around the web