NY weekly depicts Obamas as characters from 'Sanford and Son'

A weekly newspaper publisher on New York's Long Island is defending its decision to portray President Barack Obama and his wife as characters from the TV sitcom "Sanford and Son." Some local political leaders and others contend it's a racist depiction. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rob

Minneapolis, MN

#1 May 5, 2010
It's "not racist", but they're going to run a retraction anyway? Either they are major league racist hypocrites or digging a legal and ethical hole for themselves with a retraction that implies racism.
wth

Minneapolis, MN

#2 May 5, 2010
I wonder if the Obamas are going to have the cartoonist's head lopped off.
Jeff W

Minneapolis, MN

#3 May 5, 2010
The paper can print a satirical depiction however it sees fit to do so. It's not racism-ITS FREE SPEECH! OMG-the president is black!

“Out in the West Texas”

Since: Mar 08

town of El Paso

#4 May 5, 2010
That's funny, but if I were Michelle Obama, I would be very insulted by being compared to Aunt Esther.

“RIP Eric Medlen FC#4 1973-2007”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#5 May 5, 2010
William Pena wrote:
That's funny, but if I were Michelle Obama, I would be very insulted by being compared to Aunt Esther.
Remember the one about making gorilla cookies?

Jim Beam

Medford, NY

#6 May 5, 2010
William Pena wrote:
Which daughter is Ralo?
Moe Hamhead

Ely, MN

#9 May 5, 2010
I declare jihad on all newspaper cartoonists! Blasphemy!
Lamont

Medford, NY

#10 May 5, 2010
What an insult to Sanford and Son!!!!!!

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis, IN

#11 May 5, 2010
Ooh, I agree. I remember when they portrayed Reagan as a cowboy. Talk about racist! Using the stereotypical white cowboy to illustrate the president. Shameful. Just shameful.

This isn't even an original idea...

http://obamatoons.com/...
George

Palo Alto, CA

#12 May 5, 2010
William Pena wrote:
If I were Aunt Esther, I would be very insulted by being compared to Michelle Obama. Michelle Obama has the largest mouth I have ever seen on a woman.
Seeker

Tempe, AZ

#14 May 5, 2010
Will there be a sit down in the Rose Garden with beer and knishes?

“Maiden of Mayhem”

Since: May 08

OMFUG

#16 May 5, 2010
ahaha that's hilarious!! Please tell me Michelle was Aunt Esther!!
amy beehive

Minneapolis, MN

#17 May 5, 2010
I,m offended! Sanford, Lamont, and Aunt Ester were true Americans, and recycled before it was cool.
Obama and Michelle are NOT true Americans by any stretch of the term.
abbo

Cherokee Village, AR

#18 May 5, 2010
Satire is defined as the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc. Haven't seen the cartoon but in order to fit the definition of satire, I'd like to know what vice, folly, etc. was being used, and what was it intended to expose, denounce or deride. Absent that, all I can do is guess about whether it's satire or not.

I'd also have to guess whether or not it was racist. My guess is that it's not: It may be RACIAL but that's not the same thing as racist. Besides, I can't see much racism in comparing anyone to Fred Sanford: that character was old and crusty, but actually a pretty nice guy. I'd be happy with a neighbor like him, except for the junk all around the house.

While I'm at it, let me say this to those old enough to remember Amos and Andy. I contend that the A&A TV show was not racist.(The A&A radio program is another matter.) The TV show was RACIAL in that all the characters were black (no different than "Friends" in which all the characters were white), but I don't recall anything on that TV show that showed any of the characters in a bad light having to do with their race. Kingfish was a conniving ne'er do well but that was irrelevant to, not a reflection of, his race. Lots of white TV characters are/were conniving ne'er do wells too.(Eddie Haskel anyone?)

So says me. But as a white person, I am open to debate about this from African Americans who do/did see A&A as racist and, frankly, I am predisposed to believe and defer to them if they say they found racism in that show.

Since: Mar 10

Hugo, MN

#19 May 5, 2010
If I gave my daughters grade school class a picture of the UN members and had them draw them.....do you think they would only use a peach crayon for skin color????
So what is different with the satire???
The people pulling the race card need to throw them away. We can equally make fun of each other no matter what skin color.
jack sprat

Ridgewood, NJ

#20 May 5, 2010
It's racist no matter how you play it and so are most of the comments on this article. Will this country never get beyond the need to demean people smarter than they?
Chev Chelios

Mound, MN

#21 May 5, 2010
jack sprat wrote:
It's racist no matter how you play it and so are most of the comments on this article. Will this country never get beyond the need to demean people smarter than they?
Oh boo hoo..the incessant whining of liberals. Were you all so aghast when South Park made humor of Palin's child? That was humorless, classless, gutless and vile. Palin was told to suck it up by most of you, the group of such welcoming, diverse, unjudging wonderful liberals...god what a joke. You perpetuate racism, forever seeking a slight or an insult. Childish crybabies, you will find what you seek. Too bad you didnt seek to be more of a man.
Humor Less

Rosemount, MN

#23 May 5, 2010
Is this the same newspaper that likes to print satirical photos of Jews and ovens?
Grady

Camden, SC

#24 May 5, 2010
Obammy isn't qualified to run a junkyard.
Mr Hooper

Saint Paul, MN

#25 May 5, 2010
George wrote:
<quoted text>
If I were Aunt Esther, I would be very insulted by being compared to Michelle Obama. Michelle Obama has the largest mouth I have ever seen on a woman.
Is Michelle the skinny one or the one with the legs that look like she could run through a wall?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sanford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Iconic Black Sitcom Sanford And Son Debuted On ... (Jan '13) Jan '13 KPITRL 1
L.I. Paper Compares Obamas to 'Sanford and Son' (May '10) Sep '11 ahahah 8
NY weekly newspaper compares Obamas to characte... (May '10) May '10 billyjoe 5
More from around the web