New PBS series exposes Old Testament ...

New PBS series exposes Old Testament fairy tales

There are 554 comments on the BroadcastNewsroom story from Nov 17, 2008, titled New PBS series exposes Old Testament fairy tales. In it, BroadcastNewsroom reports that:

Bill Maher, on HBO's "Real Time With Bill Maher," frequently refers to the Old Testament of the Bible as the Book of Jewish Fairy Tales.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BroadcastNewsroom.

First Prev
of 28
Next Last
Marc

Boston, MA

#580 Dec 30, 2008
CIMLAS2 wrote:
Yes there are differences, but science is accepted because to some it offers the best logical reasoning for some, but to a person of faith, it seems useless.
I take it you disdain modern conveniences and medicine? How is that faith based computer working for you? I'd love to see the schematics. Your assertion that science seems useless to people of faith could only be true if those people were blind to science's contributions to their daily lives.
CIMLAS2 wrote:
In the past I may have gone overboard with some of the comments, I do appologize, but not all science conflicts with the Bible, and some does.
I don't think you've gone overboard. You clearly have strong beliefs and the desire to defend them. You've certainly been castigated enough on this thread for any overstepping.
CIMLAS2 wrote:
I know that you disagree with the Biblical flood, thats ok, but there are some scientist that I watched on the science channel that were talking about how carbon dating could be affected by a "global flood" in recieving a "false positive reading" from certain materials, what ever that means? I'm not into the science thing, except for when it is talking about Biblical stuff. However there is certain sciences I do believe in like forensic sciences, which is a tool I have to use everyday.
I have spent a lot of time studying science. The scientific method has been validated since its invention as our modern conveniences, medicine and military might demonstrate. The real question is if you believe in the efficacy of the scientific method.
Realist

Chestnut Hill, MA

#581 Dec 30, 2008
Marc wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the clarification...
No prob.

The liner notes you refer to only appear in premium copies of the album/CD. Others were probably omitted for cost more than anything else (Tull had a habit of including interesting little extras - a custom newspaper in Thick as a Brick, or a playbill for the album A Passion Play). As PT Barnum said, "All publicity is good publicity".

Their most famous album was Aqualung, but the most acclaimed was the Crest of the Knave (1987), for which they won Album of the Year.

The range of their music span from Classic Hard Rock, to more Bluesie Rock, to Electric to Folk and most everything in between, including performing with the London Symphony.

Tull is still touring, though in smaller venues.
Marc

Boston, MA

#582 Dec 30, 2008
Realist wrote:
No prob.
The liner notes you refer to only appear in premium copies of the album/CD. Others were probably omitted for cost more than anything else (Tull had a habit of including interesting little extras - a custom newspaper in Thick as a Brick, or a playbill for the album A Passion Play). As PT Barnum said, "All publicity is good publicity".
Their most famous album was Aqualung, but the most acclaimed was the Crest of the Knave (1987), for which they won Album of the Year.
The range of their music span from Classic Hard Rock, to more Bluesie Rock, to Electric to Folk and most everything in between, including performing with the London Symphony.
Tull is still touring, though in smaller venues.
I used to listen to their old stuff about 20 years ago but never paid much attention to their later stuff or the "Heavy Metal" controversy. I got sidetracked with Hip Hop. I did like Minstrel in the Gallery, Aqualung and Passion Play.
sweet girl

Cherry Valley, AR

#583 Dec 30, 2008
Marc, although I disagree with you on a few things, I appreciate that you have not made any personal attacks on any one. Whenever the subject of religion comes up, either someone has to go on and on about abortion, or the argument gets really personal. Thanks again, and have a happy 2009.
Marc

Boston, MA

#584 Dec 30, 2008
sweet girl wrote:
Marc, although I disagree with you on a few things, I appreciate that you have not made any personal attacks on any one. Whenever the subject of religion comes up, either someone has to go on and on about abortion, or the argument gets really personal. Thanks again, and have a happy 2009.
I wish I were deserving of your praise but I know I've made my share of personal attacks about religion. I'll keep trying to keep things civil.

“Proud To Be A Christian”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#585 Dec 30, 2008
Marc wrote:
<quoted text>
I take it you disdain modern conveniences and medicine? How is that faith based computer working for you? I'd love to see the schematics. Your assertion that science seems useless to people of faith could only be true if those people were blind to science's contributions to their daily lives.<quoted text>

I agree that some science is helpful, I have to use some of the most high tech cutting edge technology, but everyone has a limit, and I know the areas I need to avoid.

<quoted text>
I don't think you've gone overboard. You clearly have strong beliefs and the desire to defend them. You've certainly been castigated enough on this thread for any overstepping.<quoted text>

Thank You

<quoted text>
I have spent a lot of time studying science. The scientific method has been validated since its invention as our modern conveniences, medicine and military might demonstrate. The real question is if you believe in the efficacy of the scientific method.
Yeah, there are many I believe, but again many I just leave out in "left field" LOL!

“Texas Rocks!!”

Since: Mar 07

Texas

#586 Dec 30, 2008
CIMLAS2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, there are many I believe, but again many I just leave out in "left field" LOL!
ha ha :p

“Proud To Be A Christian”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#587 Dec 30, 2008
outnleftfield wrote:
<quoted text> ha ha :p
LOL! Okay, just figuratively speaking :-)

“Texas Rocks!!”

Since: Mar 07

Texas

#588 Dec 31, 2008
CIMLAS2 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! Okay, just figuratively speaking :-)
i wanted to say "i resemble that remark" lmao!!! but didn't want to insult myself!!
Marc

Boston, MA

#589 Dec 31, 2008
CIMLAS2 wrote:
Yeah, there are many I believe, but again many I just leave out in "left field" LOL!
Which means that you believe in the efficacy of the scientific method. That doesn't mean you agree with all current scientific theories. Hopefully it's a step in that direction...

“greatest womans wrestler ever.”

Since: Dec 07

origin-Milwaukee-Wisconsin.

#590 Dec 31, 2008
The bibe makes sense to children and old people so good for them
Space_God

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#591 Jan 7, 2009
Can someone please write up a petition to ban religion as a whole? The free thinking people who don't believe everything their parents told them Would like to sign it and move our race forward.
sweet girl

Cherry Valley, AR

#592 Jan 7, 2009
Space_God wrote:
Can someone please write up a petition to ban religion as a whole? The free thinking people who don't believe everything their parents told them Would like to sign it and move our race forward.
'

Are you willing to rewrite the Constitution? Free thinking people have to have the right to disagree. Even if you don't like what they think.

“Proud To Be A Christian”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#593 May 2, 2009
Marc wrote:
<quoted text>
Which means that you believe in the efficacy of the scientific method. That doesn't mean you agree with all current scientific theories. Hopefully it's a step in that direction...
No, and I would never step in the same direction as you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 28
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Real Time With Bill Maher Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bill Maher Hawaii New Years Event Oct '17 BillMaherFan123 1
The Socialist Manifesto Sep '17 james_sirois 1
Pension Reform Sep '17 Fiscally _Respons... 1
News Bill Maher Afraid Mohammeds, Islam Taking Over ... (Oct '10) Aug '17 Muslim hypocrisy 17
News Rev. Al Sharpton calls Bill Maher out over use ... Jun '17 Pdl1963 6
La Jun '17 La Rowe 1
Health Care for the politicians ?we pay for the... (May '17) May '17 dkite 1
More from around the web