Barney: Hold back the laurels for ABC

Barney: Hold back the laurels for ABC

There are 19 comments on the Inside Bay Area story from May 13, 2010, titled Barney: Hold back the laurels for ABC. In it, Inside Bay Area reports that:

Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Eric Stonestreet play a gay couple who are close but not oo close in "Modern Family." Sometimes so-called "brave" television shows aren't quite as brave as we think.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Inside Bay Area.

Since: Feb 07

Lansdale, PA

#1 May 13, 2010
Sometimes people look a little too hard for "injustices".

Lost is cruel to all it's characters, not just the minorities. Hurley is Hispanic and a major character on the show. And then there is the dude who talks to the dead. Rose had a nice happy ending with her husband Bernard. Walt is still alive but back home. And there was a Gay character but I can't remember if he is dead. I suspect he is.
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

#2 May 13, 2010
FlashForward on ABC has a good lesbian character who is an FBI agent.

“Created Equal”

Since: Feb 08

USA

#3 May 13, 2010
Yobyag wrote:
Lost is cruel to all it's characters, not just the minorities. Hurley is Hispanic and a major character on the show. And then there is the dude who talks to the dead. Rose had a nice happy ending with her husband Bernard. Walt is still alive but back home. And there was a Gay character but I can't remember if he is dead. I suspect he is.
Yeah, but I think the point is that having the hetero couples kiss on screen while never having the gay couple do so is not unlike (and has been compared to) the perennial network prudishness that placed Rob and Laura Petrie in seperate beds on the Dick Van Dyke show.

Queer as Folk was wildly successful on two continents... I think American sitcom viewers who watch a show in which a gay couple figures prominently are unlikely to be shocked or revolted if the couple shares an on-screen kiss on occasion.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#4 May 13, 2010
Chuck Barney wrote:
When they finally arrived, Phil received a big smooch from his very relieved wife (Julie Bowen), while Mitchell got a quick hug from Cameron. An honest moment? Hardly.
Ummm, I'm not sure what airports Mr. Barney hangs out in, but tentative displays of affection between same-sex partners are certainly a reflection of reality. It would be nice if the show offset the constant suppression gay couples experience with a vacation to P-town or Key West--or even the Pride Parade. There. they could let down their guard or at least observe other couples letting down their guard. If art is meant to imitate life, however, Barney's criticism is misplaced.
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

#5 May 13, 2010
ScottyMatic wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, but I think the point is that having the hetero couples kiss on screen while never having the gay couple do so is not unlike (and has been compared to) the perennial network prudishness that placed Rob and Laura Petrie in seperate beds on the Dick Van Dyke show.
Queer as Folk was wildly successful on two continents... I think American sitcom viewers who watch a show in which a gay couple figures prominently are unlikely to be shocked or revolted if the couple shares an on-screen kiss on occasion.
I've been out for 30 years, and the bars were the center of my life for about 20 of those years. I watched about 10 episodes of QAF and HATED it. All the characters were stereotypes and awful. If I had met any of those characters in a bar or elsewhere, I'd run in the opposite direction as fast as I could. That show was just plain awful and portrayed gay people in a very negative way.
Rev Ray T

Salina, KS

#6 May 13, 2010
Is television finally growing up? Maybe I might actually start using it for more than catching the morning and evening news.

“Romans 13: 8-10”

Since: Feb 08

Oklahoma City, OK

#7 May 13, 2010
Rev Ray T wrote:
Is television finally growing up? Maybe I might actually start using it for more than catching the morning and evening news.
Actually that's the WORST thing TV does. NPR and some good newspapers are a far better way of being informed. TV is for old movies and soccer games at my house, maybe a few concerts on VH1 classic and PBS. News on TV is dreck.
Rev Ray T

Salina, KS

#8 May 13, 2010
Different strokes for different folks, as the farmer said when he went around to kiss the cow.

I am not a Christian, I am a Gnostic and follow the mystery teachings of Jesus, Gospel of Thomas etc. I do love the verse from Romans you have tied to your name. That is the only answer anyone ever needs, to love one another.
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

#9 May 13, 2010
Rev Ray T wrote:
Different strokes for different folks, as the farmer said when he went around to kiss the cow.
I am not a Christian, I am a Gnostic and follow the mystery teachings of Jesus, Gospel of Thomas etc. I do love the verse from Romans you have tied to your name. That is the only answer anyone ever needs, to love one another.
I think Gnosticism went out of favor about 1950 years ago.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#10 May 13, 2010
Frank Stanton wrote:
<quoted text>
It's more that it's been repressed. By you-know-who.
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

#11 May 13, 2010
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I know. The Democrats as usual.

:(
Rev Ray T

Salina, KS

#12 May 13, 2010
Frank Stanton wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, only in 1945 it was taken off the Christian cross and resurrected from the dead. 12 books containing 52 Gnostic articles were found buried in the sands of Egypt in that year and are now published as,“The Nag Hammadi Library.” They are also available in,“The Gnostic Bible.” And at “The Gnostic Library”
Rev Ray T

Salina, KS

#13 May 13, 2010
Add: on line, sorry

Lansdale, PA

#14 May 13, 2010
ScottyMatic wrote:
<quoted text>
But is it the fault of the network or a choice of the writers? As is mentioned in the article, Grey's Anatomy and Brothers and Sisters both have very realistic gays couples who have frequent on screen kisses and bedroom scenes. So why vilify "The Network" for one exception?

QAF was wildly popular because 1. It was provocative 2. It was graphic and 3. It was not a low budget foreign or indy film. It was an actual modern day US based Gay series which simply never existed before. I enjoyed it and thought there were some decent story lines, but I think it did nearly as much harm as good for the community.
The Virgin Queen

Miami, FL

#15 May 13, 2010
Yobyag wrote:
<quoted text>
QAF was wildly popular because 1. It was provocative 2. It was graphic and 3. It was not a low budget foreign or indy film. It was an actual modern day US based Gay series which simply never existed before. I enjoyed it and thought there were some decent story lines, but I think it did nearly as much harm as good for the community.
Yob, you are way too unbiased.

Lansdale, PA

#16 May 13, 2010
The Virgin Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
Yob, you are way too unbiased.
Why thank you VQ nice of you to say so.

“Haters Need 2 Shut the F-K Up!”

Since: Aug 07

Mount Laurel, New Jersey, USA

#17 May 13, 2010
Yobyag wrote:
Richard?

Since: Jun 09

United States

#18 May 13, 2010
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, Voldemort is pretty dickish when it comes to obscure religions.

Lansdale, PA

#19 May 13, 2010
SouthJerseySteve wrote:
<quoted text>
Richard?
Uh.. nope sorry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Modern Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Girls' gay twist: Elijah was right all along Mar '15 Prosperity Fundie... 3
News 'Modern Family' to air episode that takes place... Feb '15 Kid_Tomorrow 1
News We Need More Gay Sex on TV (Aug '14) Sep '14 Spelling nazis suck 80
News Gwyneth Paltrow Gathers Famous Friends For Stan... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Adagio 2
News 'Married ... with Children' might get a spinoff (Sep '14) Sep '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
News Emmys nominations odds, ends, facts and figures (Jul '14) Jul '14 david traversa 1
News 'Modern Family' Dad Headlines Gay Marriage Event (Jun '14) Jun '14 Wondering 10
More from around the web