Nearly 6 out of 10 workers exposed to...

Nearly 6 out of 10 workers exposed to workplace harassment

There are 2 comments on the Canadian HR Reporter story from Mar 22, 2012, titled Nearly 6 out of 10 workers exposed to workplace harassment. In it, Canadian HR Reporter reports that:

More than one-half of working Canadians have experienced or witnessed workplace harassment, according to a survey released by Queen's School of Business at Queen's University in Kingston, Ont.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Canadian HR Reporter.

jenny tang

Scarborough, Canada

#1 Mar 25, 2012
To Queen's School of Business at Queen's University: if you further the research on what the protections the victims have, you will be even more surprised! Especially to those victims in large unionized organizations. The protections are next to none. Here are the possible route a victim could take:

- Route #1: Bill 168 requires the employer to have harassment policy, and post it. Ontario Minister of Labour can dispatch inspector to investigate if MOL is called. But as long as there is a policy posted on the wall, whether it's followed or not, MOL won't get involved. End of store under route #1.

- Route #2: Union grievance: most of the time it leads to settlement. Employer provides some money (inadequate) and the victims leave the job. Does the victim have choice not to take the money but stay on the job, since they did nothing wrong except complained about the harassment? No, they do not have choice, union has the right to enforce the settlement. What about the harasser? They are not in the picture in the grievance, they are still at work.

- Route #3: Civil law suite? Let's say you do have the money, determination, good health and family support. No, even if you have all of them, you can't. Once you are in the union, your right to sue your employer is being taken away, without you knowing it whether you are a card carrying member or not. At the time of joining union you were not told of this. I suspect this is a violation of Charter Rights of taking off your equal access to legal system. And union rep does not legally qualified/responsible as lawyer does, they will not be 'disbard' if they violate confidentiality, conflict of interest etc.

- Route #4: Human Rights Tribunal: Not all harassment violate current Human Rights rules. And you have only one year before it's expired. How many people know this time limitation? and when you are a victim, often you have no energy to look into how to fight back, or you are too scare, or your family is suffering too much etc. till it's too late.

Would some one be able to tell me I have missed some other routes that will truly effectively resolve workplace harassment before more disability, cost to health system, absenteeism, productivity and our democracy are impacted?

Jenny T. resident in Toronto
Eve

Toronto, Canada

#2 Mar 25, 2012

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mad Men Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News TCA Awards 2015: Empire, Jon Hamm, Amy Schumer,... Aug 10 nicova 1
News Bobby Flay's wife Stephanie March 'claims chef ... Jun '15 Tazo 1
News 'Mad Men' finale: Love it? Hate it? Give it a g... May '15 Not Bad 1
News My Idea of Fun Apr '15 Moppie 3
News 7 Canadian things about 'Mad Men' Apr '15 other mad peeps 1
News Leonard Nimoy hospitalized for chest pains; 'Ma... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Spock died today 1
News Party like 'Mad Men' (Mar '12) Aug '14 Cute 2
More from around the web