CBS axes 7 shows to make room for fal...

CBS axes 7 shows to make room for fall newcomers

There are 27 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 19, 2010, titled CBS axes 7 shows to make room for fall newcomers. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

CBS is giving seven of its old shows the heave-ho to make room for new fall fare with a shake-'em-up schedule for the 2010-11 season.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mike

Wadena, MN

#1 May 19, 2010
Old Christine and Gary Unmarried were two of the most insulting comedies on TV. How could you laugh when the lead characters were constantly humiliated? I love Hawaii 5-0 but I'm betting the new series won't go over. It didn't work for Perry Mason or many others either. Also, can we have a few less shows about CSI work and lawyers?
Dale

Rochester, MN

#2 May 19, 2010
Unless I missed something in the on-line article, the writer of this piece failed to mention the names of the seven shows being cut. I read the headline and was perhaps lulled into thinking that maybe somewhere the seven shows being cut would be named. Didn't happen. Poor writing, in my opinion.
You missed it

Minneapolis, MN

#3 May 19, 2010
Dale wrote:
Unless I missed something in the on-line article, the writer of this piece failed to mention the names of the seven shows being cut. I read the headline and was perhaps lulled into thinking that maybe somewhere the seven shows being cut would be named. Didn't happen. Poor writing, in my opinion.
Dale,
This is an AP article. The very last paragraph says this:

"Clearing the way for CBS' new entries are canceled series "The New Adventures of Old Christine," "Ghost Whisperer," "Cold Case," "Miami Medical," "Numb3rs," "Gary Unmarried" and "Accidentally on Purpose."

I guess it was more of an issue of poor reading than it was of poor writing.
On a different note, I loved Numb3rs. Sad to see it go.
P T Bull

Minneapolis, MN

#4 May 19, 2010
You missed it wrote:
<quoted text>
Dale,
"Clearing the way for CBS' new entries are canceled series "The New Adventures of Old Christine," "Ghost Whisperer," "Cold Case," "Miami Medical," "Numb3rs," "Gary Unmarried" and "Accidentally on Purpose."

Don't presume too much. Often, the writers will add missing stuff in response to reader's comments. For instance, an article about a beauty contestant didn't have a photo, readers complained, and then there was a photo. I guess its a new free online journalism school. AP is a full-employment project for illiterates.
Mike

Saint Cloud, MN

#5 May 19, 2010
P T Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't presume too much. Often, the writers will add missing stuff in response to reader's comments. For instance, an article about a beauty contestant didn't have a photo, readers complained, and then there was a photo. I guess its a new free online journalism school. AP is a full-employment project for illiterates.
Much of the associated press news stories are taken from newspapers, tv and radio. Next story you read, look for the credit. 8-9 times out of ten they're re-writing someone else's work.
P T Bull

Minneapolis, MN

#6 May 20, 2010
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>Much of the associated press news stories are taken from newspapers, tv and radio. Next story you read, look for the credit. 8-9 times out of ten they're re-writing someone else's work.

If I recall correctly, the pioneer press has cancelled its contract with AP, but its something like a two year notice. The level of quality from AP is reliably mediocre.
Sarah D

Minneapolis, MN

#7 May 20, 2010
I wonder if the formerly called SciFi channel will pick up Ghost Whisperer since they are broadcasting the old episodes.

Otherwise the only CBS show I watch regularly is NCIS and it's not listed so I'm not really concerned.
Paul

Saint Paul, MN

#8 May 20, 2010
Of the seven shows getting cancelled the only one I've ever seen is Cold Case, but the problem with that show is that it was so depressing. At the end of every show we found out who the killer was and then got to see them hauled away in cuffs with the dead person standing there watching. Creepy and depressing.
Mike

Wadena, MN

#9 May 20, 2010
P T Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
If I recall correctly, the pioneer press has cancelled its contract with AP, but its something like a two year notice. The level of quality from AP is reliably mediocre.
The Pioneer Press can hire an intern to search the states' newspaper, tv and radio sites and re-write their stuff, giving them credit. It would be good experience and a lot cheaper.
P T Bull

Minneapolis, MN

#10 May 20, 2010
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>The Pioneer Press can hire an intern to search the states' newspaper, tv and radio sites and re-write their stuff, giving them credit. It would be good experience and a lot cheaper.

From a practical standpoint that would work, but I wonder if the union rules would allow it. The number one reason for outsourcing is to avoid having union employees.
TootSweet

Boise, ID

#11 May 20, 2010
"Finally, Shatner stars in his first sitcom whose title alone is sure to be noticed. Called something akin to "(Bleep)... My Dad Says," it focuses on Shatner's character as an opinionated dad whose rants find their way into the public sphere when his son posts them on a Twitter account read by millions."

Other than the Twitter, just sounds like more Archie Bunker to me.
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#12 May 20, 2010
TootSweet wrote:
"Finally, Shatner stars in his first sitcom whose title alone is sure to be noticed. Called something akin to "(Bleep)... My Dad Says," it focuses on Shatner's character as an opinionated dad whose rants find their way into the public sphere when his son posts them on a Twitter account read by millions."
Other than the Twitter, just sounds like more Archie Bunker to me.
Yea, it does sound kind of fun, doesn't it?

“Free and Fair Elections”

Since: Jan 09

Zumbrota, MN

#13 May 20, 2010
The three sitcoms cut were just not very good. I have always like Dreyfuss since her Seinfeld days, but this show just wasn't funny. The Elfman vehicle was worse IMHO. I didn't see enough of "Gary Unmarried" to form an opinion, but I wasn't impressed the couple of times I did see it.

As for the dramas, I liked "Cold Case" at first, but lost interest as I got used to the flashbacks and the aging of the characters. I won't miss the other shows either. Good job CBS, in cutting the dead wood.
Mike

Saint Cloud, MN

#14 May 20, 2010
P T Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
From a practical standpoint that would work, but I wonder if the union rules would allow it. The number one reason for outsourcing is to avoid having union employees.
You're probably right, or they'd have already considered that one. Mark me down for a managment job.
P T Bull

Minneapolis, MN

#15 May 21, 2010
Slightly off topic, but I just watched the promos for the new shows from abc, and they were just awful. I only watch internet tv, so don't see cbs shows at all.
here

Hodgenville, KY

#16 May 21, 2010
Crap!! I love Ghost Whisperer...:(
Sarah D

Minneapolis, MN

#17 May 27, 2010
here wrote:
Crap!! I love Ghost Whisperer...:(
Send an e-mail to the cable channel formerly called SciFi and ask them to pick it up. They are already showing the old episodes.
Cindy Stainker

Chicago, IL

#18 May 27, 2010
You missed it wrote:
<quoted text>
Dale,
Cold Case was a good show too.
Sarah D

Minneapolis, MN

#19 May 27, 2010
Wow I didn't know there were people who hated Ghost Whisperer so much that they're bent out of shape over me suggesting to someone how s/he could get another channel to pick it up.
Mike

Alexandria, MN

#20 May 27, 2010
Cindy Stainker wrote:
<quoted text>
Cold Case was a good show too.
Cold Case was so unrealistic, I stopped watching it. Solving 50 year old murders. Questioning 80 year old people who remembered it like it was yesterday. Ask the police how many cold case murders they solve in Minneapolis. Maybe one or two a year. And most of them are 5-15 years old.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lost Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Americans don't like Hillary Clinton or Donald ... May '16 WasteWater 40
Dominic Monaghan NAKED: He is Uncut (Aug '12) Jan '16 Nomad200756 10
News Motown to Release 'Lost' Album 'Diana Ross Sing... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Spotted Wee 2
News Drama 'Wayward Pines' on Fox is weird and, best... (May '15) May '15 Cath League of Du... 1
News "Duck Dynasty" family debuts musical in Las Vegas (Apr '15) Apr '15 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
News 'Modern Family' to air episode that takes place... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Kid_Tomorrow 1
News First Look at ANT-MAN Super Villain 'Yellowjacket' (Dec '14) Dec '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
More from around the web