An Author Returns To 'The Little House'

May 9, 2011 Full story: National Public Radio

This reconstruction of the log cabin that Laura Ingalls Wilder lived in with her family in Independence, Kans.

Full Story
disappointed

Chanute, KS

#1 May 12, 2011
Who cares? There's nothing at the site but an unpleasant, airless cabin. Once you've seen it, you've seen it. It's the next thing to a tourist trap.
The Pilgrim

Oologah, OK

#2 Jul 24, 2013
I don't think that the site in Kansas is the old homestead site. All the landmarks are missing. By following the clues in the book"Little House on the Prairie"I am convinced that the true homestead was south of Double Creek 2 miles south of Nowata, Oklahoma; It's 40 miles south of Independance, KS (not 12), there is a creek bottom close at hand and it's within sight and west of the Verdigris river ( now covered over by Lake Oologah ) It's the only place that makes sense. Refer to chapt. 5 for the description of the home site.
TaxPayer

United States

#3 Jul 24, 2013
The Pilgrim wrote:
I don't think that the site in Kansas is the old homestead site. All the landmarks are missing. By following the clues in the book"Little House on the Prairie"I am convinced that the true homestead was south of Double Creek 2 miles south of Nowata, Oklahoma; It's 40 miles south of Independance, KS (not 12), there is a creek bottom close at hand and it's within sight and west of the Verdigris river ( now covered over by Lake Oologah ) It's the only place that makes sense. Refer to chapt. 5 for the description of the home site.
the place it sits now is not the "home" site. It was moved several years ago to be more accessable for tourist while the place it was moved from is actually a little closer to the Sedan shortcut and northeast of wayside
I know

Yates Center, KS

#4 Jul 24, 2013
The Pilgrim wrote:
This is not the original site that it is on now. The post below is more accurate, however it was never moved. It was a reproduction of what it probably was like. There has been much investigation on this and it is close. The people who owned the property did not want to open it to the public. As far as I know the foundation is still there but nothing else. Not really sure where you come up with this location above.
research

United States

#5 Jul 24, 2013
The Pilgrim wrote:
Maybe you should do a little research if the Census lists the family in the Rutland Township of Montgomery County it would be a little difficult to have lived in Oklahoma.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Little House on the Prairie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Little House on the Prairie (Oct '10) May '14 Pedophile Matt Thill 5
Why Melissa Gilbert Wants to Punch Shannen Dohe... (Jan '14) Feb '14 Dinie 5
Little House on the Prairie DVDs (May '13) May '13 Colton Rain 1
Happy Birthday, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Author of... (Mar '13) May '13 vale 2
Twitter House on the Prairie (Jun '12) Nov '12 Someone who knows 2
Little Slaughterhouse On The Prairie: The ghoul... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Not a KS retard 2
Miss Beadle from "Little House on the Prairie" ... (Jul '11) Apr '12 Yeeeep 2
More from around the web