No `King Lear' nude scene for McKelle...

No `King Lear' nude scene for McKellen on PBS

There are 1 comment on the The Associated Press story from Jan 8, 2009, titled No `King Lear' nude scene for McKellen on PBS . In it, The Associated Press reports that:

Ian McKellen said he's fine that the full-frontal nude scene he played on stage as King Lear is missing from an upcoming public TV version.

An actor who takes his clothes off can divert an audience's attention from the drama itself, said the British actor known for 'Lord of the Rings' and the 'X-Men' films.

'If it's a distraction of that sort, it's not worth the candle,' McKellen told a meeting of the Television Critics Association on Wednesday.

David Horn, executive producer of the 'Great Performances' series presenting the play for PBS, said he and Trevor Nunn, director of the acclaimed Royal Shakespeare Company production, made the decision to 'suggest' the nudity.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Associated Press.

Tim1974

Bloomington, IN

#1 Jan 15, 2009
I am glad to see that the powers to be came to their senses and realized that it could still be a good production without adding the gratuitous male frontal nudity and continue the double standard.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Great Performances Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News OPB airs Wagner's epic 'Ring' cycle weeks after... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Sheik Yerbouti 1
News PBS Programming Continues to Aim Low (Oct '11) Oct '11 Sjeik Yerbouti 2
News Television Review | PBS Arts Fall Festival: An ... (Oct '11) Oct '11 Sheik Yerbouti 1
News What's On Tonight: I'm A Celebrity, Japanese Ga... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Bob 1
More from around the web