Fear of a gay planet

Fear of a gay planet

There are 17 comments on the www.salon.com story from Sep 13, 2009, titled Fear of a gay planet. In it, www.salon.com reports that:

I'm glad there are more gay characters on TV these days. But I don't want to single the gay ones out, because that would imply that I think gay people are different than everyone else. They're not different! Gay people are just like straight people, only they're smarter and funnier and more interesting.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.salon.com.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#1 Sep 13, 2009
Is a gay planet one that is attracted to other planets?:)

Toronto, ON, Canada

#2 Sep 13, 2009
Since the earth and moon are sometimes considered dual planets rather than a planet and a satellite, does that make them gay? Or is homophobia the reason why these two celestial objects have different genders in many languages?

“Created Equal”

Since: Feb 08

USA

#4 Sep 13, 2009
I can't help but notice that the joke related in the dialogue from ABC's "Modern Family" was stolen from Fox's "Family Guy."

Peter and Lois are in the grocery. Someone looks at Lois, and says, "Hey, nice melons!" Peter begins to defend his wife's honor, when the shot cuts to her and she says, "Peter, I'm holding melons!" and we see the pair of ripe melons in her hand. Peter apologizes, but the onlooker replies, "And her hooters aren't bad either!" Peter is ready to slug the guy, when Lois says, "Peter! I'm holding hooters!" The shot cuts back to Lois, who has two owls perched on her outstretched arm.

Family Guy has been dealing with LGBT issues in a hilarious and politically incorrect way for years.

Frankly, rather than being encouraged by token gay characters popping-up on so many shows, I'm happier to see Hollywood doing a better job of accepting openly gay actors. Neil Patrick Harris has a leading role as an openly heterosexual character on "How I Met Your Mother," and Chad Allen recently played a featured guest role on the "Total Recall" series.

Those are just the examples which come immediately to mind. How about Clay Aiken and David Hyde Peirce. And our old pal David Ogden Steirs, who played Winchester on M*A*S*H for so many years... He's been playing a wicked villian on Stargate.

Yeah, Hollywood, so long blamed for being a den of iniquity, but so long a last bastion of institionalised homophobia, has finally realized that gay actors are just about the same as heterosexual ones... they're people.

On the East Coast, we've known that for a while. I don't know who said it, but there's a famous quote: "If it weren't for gay people, there would be no Broadway." (Or a Hollywood!)

“Walk a moment in time with me”

Since: Nov 07

San Diego

#5 Sep 13, 2009
I think that for the most part TV and even the movies have done a pretty great role in letting people see that the G/L people in virtually every corner of the world are there and that the straight community has nothing to fear. Typically, the fears/concerns etc. are media sterio-typical hype fueled and for pretty much the most part over dramatized. Now that's not to say that we are not without fault, no one is Gay or Straight, none of us walk on water!! But so many barriors have been broken through with various TV shows, comedies and movies as well. When you truly get down to the brass tacks so to speak all of us are just wanting to be loved and accepted and respected like everyone else. If one would like a bit more of a look into making a true efffort to understand the G/L community in general, a suggestion is that they have some really terrific movies, documentaries etc. on Netflix that you could check out.
Resist Ignorance

Knoxville, TN

#7 Sep 13, 2009
ScottyMatic wrote:
Also,
Tab Hunter
Richard Chamberlain
Rock Hudson
Sir Ian McKlellen
Raymond Burr

However, only McKellen was 'out' during his active career. The others went to great lengths to mask their sexuality, especially Burr. He claimed to have been married five times and to have had a son who died at the age of 10 which was not true.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#9 Sep 14, 2009
Resist Ignorance wrote:
<quoted text>
Also,
Tab Hunter
Richard Chamberlain
Rock Hudson
Sir Ian McKlellen
Raymond Burr
However, only McKellen was 'out' during his active career. The others went to great lengths to mask their sexuality, especially Burr. He claimed to have been married five times and to have had a son who died at the age of 10 which was not true.
Growing up when these men were in their prime, the 50's and 60's, I fully understand why they did what they did. I, thankfully, was not a movie star, and did not have to worry about the press and public opinion. And being somewhat butch was a big help. But still, the pressures were there, and I, too, had to conform to some extent. It has been wonderful to see the transition from that oppression to the openness that GLBT folks have today. And to realize that the future will be even more so, if we continue the drive to freedom that we have in the past.

Toronto, ON, Canada

#10 Sep 14, 2009
Resist Ignorance wrote:
<quoted text>
Also,
Tab Hunter
Richard Chamberlain
Rock Hudson
Sir Ian McKlellen
Raymond Burr
I did not even know Burr was gay. Didn't Chamberlain eventually come out?

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#12 Sep 14, 2009
JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not even know Burr was gay. Didn't Chamberlain eventually come out?
I don't remember if he actually "came out" or not, but it did suddenly hit the news, as opposed to whispers in the background. And just as a note, his partner's last name was Rabbit, I believe, and he was in a remake of King Solomon's Mines in which Chamberlain played the lead. My memory is a bit foggy on this, but I believe that's the way it was.

Since: Feb 07

Lansdale, PA

#14 Sep 14, 2009
JohnInToronto wrote:
Is a gay planet one that is attracted to other planets?:)
Planets have two poles. That's Hot.

So would Jupiter be a Bear?

“That's Mama Luigi to you too”

Since: Jun 08

Orange County,CA

#16 Sep 14, 2009
Yobyag wrote:
<quoted text>
Planets have two poles. That's Hot.
So would Jupiter be a Bear?
Bears,Where? I like bears. They're so woofy.

“Created Equal”

Since: Feb 08

USA

#17 Sep 14, 2009
Shadow Dragon wrote:
<quoted text>
Bears,Where? I like bears. They're so woofy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =1Pgs2T0TYlEXX
Judging by size, I would say Jupiter is most certainly a bear. But very gassy.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Resist Ignorance

Knoxville, TN

#18 Sep 14, 2009
JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
...Didn't Chamberlain eventually come out?
Yes, in his biography. He said that he hid his sexuality in order to protect his career.

As far as Burr, I have read sources that said that he claimed to be married anywhere from three to five times. These are not totally supported by documentation. Also, his son, who supposedly died at an early age never existed according to birth/death/school records. Burr's own sister confirmed, after Burr's death, that this was a ruse.

Since: Feb 07

Lansdale, PA

#19 Sep 15, 2009
ScottyMatic wrote:
<quoted text>
Judging by size, I would say Jupiter is most certainly a bear. But very gassy.
(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Everyone loves a good fart joke. I am just trying to stay away from any Uranus references.

OK now that I brought it up and can't help myself.

Men are from Mars and Gay men are from Uranus.
phobic and proud

Buffalo, NY

#20 Sep 15, 2009
Do you know what happens when you ride a bicycle on a different planet? I was hoping you'd know because I saw some skid marks around URANUS.

When earth's rotation causes us to face URANUS, I can only hope I'm upwind.

Toronto, ON, Canada

#21 Sep 15, 2009
phobic and proud wrote:
Do you know what happens when you ride a bicycle on a different planet? I was hoping you'd know because I saw some skid marks around URANUS.
When earth's rotation causes us to face URANUS, I can only hope I'm upwind.
Hate to disappoint you, but that pun probably dates back to William Herschel himself.
phobic and proud

Buffalo, NY

#23 Sep 17, 2009
JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate to disappoint you, but that pun probably dates back to William Herschel himself.
I'm not disappointed but ill bet you are happy that Uranus was discovered
pinebeetle

Denver, CO

#24 Sep 17, 2009
JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
You said "pun".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gossip Girl Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Leighton Meester Sex Tape Uncensored (Jun '09) Apr '15 pressfun 16
News Pinxton Kirkstead Junior School: Head teacher q... (Feb '13) Feb '14 dmitrivalencia 5
News 'Glee' Gets To Work On Reunion Ep: See Heather ... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Michaela 1
Penn Badgley NAKED: Full Frontal NUDE! (Sep '12) Jul '13 GGfan 2
EXCLUSIVE! Chace Crawford Gay Scandal: DICK SUC... (Jun '12) Apr '13 Nate 10
News PR :: Gossip Girl: The Complete Sixth & Final S... (Jan '13) Jan '13 ffting 1
News The CW's 20 hottest women of 2012 (Jan '13) Jan '13 Angelika 1
More from around the web